A question to the private school supporters.

Page 2 of First of all I'm personally against Prop 20. I want my team to compete against the best for a championship. However I've had a question that I've avoid... 41 comments | 1989 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01
    Well I hope you enjoy your championship that doesn't go through St. X, maybe you'll finally win one for the first time in about 40 some years.
    My team usually doesn't make it past the first round anyway, we never get a chance to lose to St X. I think your misunderstanding my point out of anger.

    In the long run I think this helps the private programs, unless they take actions out of spite that hurt themselves.

    Like I said, I think the current playoff system is a joke anyway. Anyone who wants to tell me that the Danville team I saw three years ago won't have made it to the later rounds of a 4A playoff and I'll laugh in thier face.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01
    My complaint is this, if you have such problems with making sham championships, then why in the world aren't you even more infuriated about this than we are?
    I've been against it. The reason I never asked the question until now is because if I'm right (that prop 20 really helps the private schools) than it would have passed even easier than it did.

    Also a championship isn't everything. Thousands of kids play meaningful seasons and never even see a win. I believe in the regular season.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,906

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    My team usually doesn't make it past the first round anyway, we never get a chance to lose to St X. I think your misunderstanding my point out of anger.

    In the long run I think this helps the private programs, unless they take actions out of spite that hurt themselves.

    Like I said, I think the current playoff system is a joke anyway. Anyone who wants to tell me that the Danville team I saw three years ago won't have made it to the later rounds of a 4A playoff and I'll laugh in thier face.
    In regards to your first point you are probably right I admit.

    I don't see how it helps the private programs. Trinity and St.x will have no one of a moderately close size to play against in the "playoffs." The smaller schools, if they have to play us, will be brutalized. It is less equitible for the small privates than anyone else.

    That Danville team was good, but they wouldn't have touched Trinity or x by the end of the season AND they wouldn't have gotten by the 3A champ Boyle County that beat them handily during the regular season. At best they would have made it to the Semi's.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,906

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    I've been against it. The reason I never asked the question until now is because if I'm right (that prop 20 really helps the private schools) than it would have passed even easier than it did.

    You are going to have to go into much more detail as to how this will "help" the private schools.

  5. #20
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01
    You are going to have to go into much more detail as to how this will "help" the private schools.
    Look at the schedule oppitunities alone.

    For Eastern and Ballard tht you lose you can pretty easily pick up a Desales or Holy Cross. It isn't like the other the other two schools were much competition any. Add on two or three out of state teams, Moeller, Cincy StX, that Tenn school or some Indiana schools. play Lex Catholic, Manual, maybe Male, you could probably add on some consistant power out in the state like Hopkinsville or Bowling Green and of course St X.

    Possible Schedule

    1 Out of State opponet
    2 Local Private School
    3 Out of State opponet
    4 Public state opponet (Hopkinsville, Bowling Green)
    5 St X
    6 Big Draw Local public highschool (Male Manual Seneca or someone)
    7 Big DrawLocal Public Highschool
    8 Local Private school
    9 State Private school
    10 State Private school

    And this idea goes under the assumption that not many public schools would want to play the private schools (which I don't believe will be the case). The potential for big and exciting games has dramatically increased, your regular season has potential for much more excitement than the old playoffs ever gave you.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    I can promise you that be it out of spite as you put it there is no way at least one private school I know of will schedule any public school that voted for this travesty.

    Why would Trinity or X agree to take a big crowd to Manual or Male or any other public school for that matter.

    It's awfully easy for you to bring out that Pollyanna tripe whne your school has just had it's way to a state championship made easier.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 04
    Posts
    423

    I thought the private schools had all of these insurmountable advantages, and now public schools that voted for prop 20 are wondering about continuing the series during the regular season? Get real. Sure, I could see a home & away series with schools that voted for prop 20

    and no, I did not mean to type "home & home"

  8. #23
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    I can promise you that be it out of spite as you put it there is no way at least one private school I know of will schedule any public school that voted for this travesty.

    Why would Trinity or X agree to take a big crowd to Manual or Male or any other public school for that matter.

    It's awfully easy for you to bring out that Pollyanna tripe whne your school has just had it's way to a state championship made easier.
    Be fair All Tell, Manual and Male and bring pretty big tickets as well. I think the private schools are so disgusted they they were "attacked" that they are failing to realize that the situation will probably be better for them in the long run.

    Also, I'm not for prop 20. I'm against it, I'm trying to understand why YOU ALL are so against it, when I don't see how it hurts you or makes the situation much different than it already is.

    My school hasn't been beaten out of the playoffs by a private school since 1988, it is awfully presumptous to assume they would win when history shows when haven't gotten past the publics anyhow.

  9. #24
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by rocks lacrosse
    I thought the private schools had all of these insurmountable advantages, and now public schools that voted for prop 20 are wondering about continuing the series during the regular season? Get real. Sure, I could see a home & away series with schools that voted for prop 20

    and no, I did not mean to type "home & home"
    Let me rewind to the question. How does this hurt the private schools? And why are private schools against it?

    The answer that I recieved was that it would end matchups. Well I don't think that is a good answer because Prop 20 doesn't do that, if schools choose to end matchups it is thier own doing.

    I'm still looking for answers to the initial question.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 04
    Posts
    423

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    Let me rewind to the question. How does this hurt the private schools? And why are private schools against it?

    The answer that I recieved was that it would end matchups. Well I don't think that is a good answer because Prop 20 doesn't do that, if schools choose to end matchups it is thier own doing.

    I'm still looking for answers to the initial question.
    It hurts all of the schools (public and private) by diluting the competition & clouding the idea of who really is the best in the state.

  11. #26
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by rocks lacrosse
    It hurts all of the schools (public and private) by diluting the competition & clouding the idea of who really is the best in the state.
    I agree with that assessment whole heartedly and it is my biggest complaint with the Prop 20.

    I'm of the opinion that in the long term the Private schools will be head and shoulders above the Publics due to this proposal. I think Prop 20 will propagate turning St X and Trinity into De La Salles and all talent will funnelled to those schools.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    Be fair All Tell, Manual and Male and bring pretty big tickets as well.
    Get serious, Trinity and X are the only big draws in town. I've been to all the other so-called storied rivalry games and they don't live up to a team hosting T or X. The past two years Manual/T has outdrawn Manual/Male. I would vote to never play another KHSAA public school under any circumstance. Your cowardly administrators made you bed now lie in it. I just wonder how they plan to level the playing field between the Males, Manuals, PRPs etc. with the bottom dwellers like Eastern and Iroquois and the rest. Good luck but Male will rule this new universe.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,525

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    Be fair All Tell, Manual and Male and bring pretty big tickets as well. I think the private schools are so disgusted they they were "attacked" that they are failing to realize that the situation will probably be better for them in the long run.

    Also, I'm not for prop 20. I'm against it, I'm trying to understand why YOU ALL are so against it, when I don't see how it hurts you or makes the situation much different than it already is.

    My school hasn't been beaten out of the playoffs by a private school since 1988, it is awfully presumptous to assume they would win when history shows when haven't gotten past the publics anyhow.
    Something I can agree with. Iam disgusted. I don't think this travesty will take place. I trust that the Board of Control and Board of Education will be a lot smarter than the idiots that voted today. If they aren't, we'll have to rely on the courts and the legislature. There are a number of reasons why this would hurt both public and private schools. The playoffs on the private side won't exist. In 4A there are only two schools. That doesn't make for much of a playoff. Even if you combine 4A and 3A, there are still only four teams. So all of you Rams can blow all of the smoke you want. The reality is that if we stay in the KHSAA there are no playoffs for us. Second, there is the issue of money. Trinity and x get the split gate from 3 or 4 games a year in the playoffs. That revenue is gone. I have trouble figuring why Trinity or x would agree to a one game playoff system where the state gets the gate. How about we just play each other at the end of the season and split the gate. We can buy our own trophy with the $200,000 gate. For the public schools there is the public admission that they aren't as good. There is also the problem of loss of revenue. The biggest payday of the year for a public school is when they play Trinity or x. Few, if any, would get the chance. The biggest football paydays for the KHSAA are also when Trinity or x play. Bye Bye money. DeVries has already mentioned in the paper that it might be necessary for the KHSAA to start taking the playoff revenue from all rounds. When the public schools lose that revenue, I hope they are happy.

    I am truly surprised at how angry this has made me. I am hoping that cooler heads will prevail. I am also surprised that so many of the have not schools voted for this. Most of those schools couldn't take home a championship trophy if someone locked it in the trunk of their car. This will only change the names of the teams that win. The wins will still be concentrated in very few hands.

    A trip down memory lane. I remember that 1988 loss by the Rams. Spoiled your perfect season as I recall. Score was 28-0.

  14. #29
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by LSURock
    Get serious, Trinity and X are the only big draws in town. I've been to all the other so-called storied rivalry games and they don't live up to a team hosting T or X. The past two years Manual/T has outdrawn Manual/Male. I would vote to never play another KHSAA public school under any circumstance. Your cowardly administrators made you bed now lie in it. I just wonder how they plan to level the playing field between the Males, Manuals, PRPs etc. with the bottom dwellers like Eastern and Iroquois and the rest. Good luck but Male will rule this new universe.
    I'm aware that you all ARE upset with what happen, I'm still a little fuzzy on WHY you are upset with what happened, but I not looking for a fight to make anyone upset. I really rather you answer the question (Are the Private Schools really hurt by this?) rather than spew hate my way, infact ignore Manual all together.

    BTW Your wrong. Other schools have big draws (Yes Trinity and St X are the biggest). If Manual/Trinity games have brought more people than Male/Manual it is only by slim margins, and from a visual standpoint not appearent.

  15. #30
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    There are a number of reasons why this would hurt both public and private schools. The playoffs on the private side won't exist. In 4A there are only two schools. That doesn't make for much of a playoff. Even if you combine 4A and 3A, there are still only four teams. The reality is that if we stay in the KHSAA there are no playoffs for us. Second, there is the issue of money. Trinity and x get the split gate from 3 or 4 games a year in the playoffs. That revenue is gone. I have trouble figuring why Trinity or x would agree to a one game playoff system where the state gets the gate. How about we just play each other at the end of the season and split the gate. We can buy our own trophy with the $200,000 gate. For the public schools there is the public admission that they aren't as good. There is also the problem of loss of revenue. The biggest payday of the year for a public school is when they play Trinity or x. Few, if any, would get the chance. The biggest football paydays for the KHSAA are also when Trinity or x play. Bye Bye money. DeVries has already mentioned in the paper that it might be necessary for the KHSAA to start taking the playoff revenue from all rounds.
    This is what I was looking for.

    I was under assumption that a playoff would still exist.

    But looking at the 200,000 gate, doesn't that point to the fact that Trinity and St X will be able to keep more of thier funds internally and doesn't this help those programs?

Top