A question concerning tuition payments

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    North Carolina, but crazy about Ft. Thomas Highlands! Visit my Highlands website at www.Highlands-Bluebirds.com!
    Posts
    7,132

    A question concerning tuition payments

    I have a question: Say I'm just some regular guy with no formal connection to any school system, and I am a big supporter of a particular school's football team. Say some kid from out-of-district wants to come to "my" school, and plans on playing football there as soon as the KHSAA declares him eligible. However, his family can't/won't move into the district and the kid's family cannot afford the out-of-district tuition. As a private citizen with no formal affiliation with the school, could I be a third-party payer of the kid's tuition? Would it be illegal or against KHSAA regulations for me to cut a check, either to the kid's family or directly to the school, to cover his tuition?

    If I'm not allowed to do so, then why not?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by jbwill2
    I have a question: Say I'm just some regular guy with no formal connection to any school system, and I am a big supporter of a particular school's football team. Say some kid from out-of-district wants to come to "my" school, and plans on playing football there as soon as the KHSAA declares him eligible. However, his family can't/won't move into the district and the kid's family cannot afford the out-of-district tuition. As a private citizen with no formal affiliation with the school, could I be a third-party payer of the kid's tuition? Would it be illegal or against KHSAA regulations for me to cut a check, either to the kid's family or directly to the school, to cover his tuition?

    If I'm not allowed to do so, then why not?
    Its against the KHSAA rules.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    I think it would be naive to say it never happens.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I think it would be naive to say it never happens.
    Yes. I know of a parent that subsidizes a couple of kids but as far as I know they are not athletes.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I think it would be naive to say it never happens.
    I am a product of a catholic education, and now an adult. At one time or another all my kids went to catholic school. I was very involved with a few different schools over the years. I am amazed when I read of anyone who thinks that these schools recruit or pay these kids way, for the sole purpose of playing sports. I know how the financial aid process works, the schools are flexible but it ain't free and contrary to what you might think, they don't have a money tree. If you are in need of financial aid in order to attend school, more than likely you will recieve it regardless of whether or not you are catholic, but it has nothing to do with sports. They take pride in sports, but their number one purpose is academics, and most all decisions are based from that perspective. IMO westsider, it never happens.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman32
    I am a product of a catholic education, and now an adult. At one time or another all my kids went to catholic school. I was very involved with a few different schools over the years. I am amazed when I read of anyone who thinks that these schools recruit or pay these kids way, for the sole purpose of playing sports. I know how the financial aid process works, the schools are flexible but it ain't free and contrary to what you might think, they don't have a money tree. If you are in need of financial aid in order to attend school, more than likely you will recieve it regardless of whether or not you are catholic, but it has nothing to do with sports. They take pride in sports, but their number one purpose is academics, and most all decisions are based from that perspective. IMO westsider, it never happens.
    You are 100% accurate! The principals are not "sports" nuts like all of us are.

  8. #8
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I think it would be naive to say it never happens.
    It would be even more naive to say it never happens at the so-called city or open enrollment schools!!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman32
    I am a product of a catholic education, and now an adult. At one time or another all my kids went to catholic school. I was very involved with a few different schools over the years. I am amazed when I read of anyone who thinks that these schools recruit or pay these kids way, for the sole purpose of playing sports. I know how the financial aid process works, the schools are flexible but it ain't free and contrary to what you might think, they don't have a money tree. If you are in need of financial aid in order to attend school, more than likely you will recieve it regardless of whether or not you are catholic, but it has nothing to do with sports. They take pride in sports, but their number one purpose is academics, and most all decisions are based from that perspective. IMO westsider, it never happens.
    I'm not saying that the schools are "recruiting" or "paying" athletes ... I am saying it's naive to think that a select number of kids, for whatever reason, aren't having their tuition taken care of by a third party.

    I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with that, either. It all depends on the motivation of the parties involved.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    It would be even more naive to say it never happens at the so-called city or open enrollment schools!!
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen there, either. But I suspect that, in most cases, the tuition for a private school is quite a bit higher than that for an open-enrollment public school district.

Top