A Friend of mine who is an educator....

Page 2 of Originally Posted by akw4572 I know not all private school attendees, educators, parents, athletes, etc. are ignorant in the same regards as RP. Clarif... 107 comments | 5069 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,957

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    But at least the teachers and administrators won’t have to do anything except draw a paycheck paid by our tax money."


    I do a lot more than draw a paycheck. I might add that paycheck I draw is not a very big one to begin with.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    [QUOTE=BigStud]I think overall are public school education is below average in the state. You can talk hard work and troubles. But numbers don't lie and there are other area's across the country who have harder conditions but still seem to do better than ky.

    I think in general the schools who seem to succeed more in public schools are the one's with open school distritcts I.E. the Highlands and JCPS of the world.

    Just a little more help. Shouldn't it be Ky..and then districts..Maybe I'm wrong since I didn't have the opportunity to attend such a fine institution as bs.

  3. #18
    Nets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    West Liberty
    Posts
    7,349

    It's really embarrassing that the Senator would publicly make that comment.

    Kentucky is not even close to #50 in education in the U.S.


    I do agree with what the Somerset person earlier wrote and that if the KHSAA would crack down on recruiting for athletic advantage I don't think it would have come to this.

    Also, the good-ole-boy politics which give us a bad name in EKY looms large still today with a BOC member who represents ONLY the LARGE county they are from. Some of the comments and dealings are laughable and a clear image is painted on how arrogantly some people go about their business...whatever happened to "Representation"...???

    I really thought the board of control were elected to be the voice of the schools? I guess not, it's the backdoor politicin' and MINORITY rule in all facets of the game.

  4. #19
    strike-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Opie ain't no rat!
    Posts
    4,882

    I owe a lot to several dedicated teachers at Apollo, who went above and beyond their job duties.

    I guess I really pulled one over on the PRIVATE Universtiy which awarded me a 3/4 academic scholarship. What a waste of their money.

  5. #20
    Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Pride and Tradition NEVER Graduate!
    Posts
    5,855

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    quoted this exact following statement:

    "The public schools, for such lunacy, have no tradition and no pride and they have dumbed down the curriculum………….so why stop there? If you can’t compete in the classroom or the playing field, change the rules and you won’t have to compete. Just instill mediocrity. But at least the teachers and administrators won’t have to do anything except draw a paycheck paid by our tax money."


    Sounds like something you would say.

  6. #21
    Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Pride and Tradition NEVER Graduate!
    Posts
    5,855

    Quote Originally Posted by akw4572
    That's about as insulting as I've ever heard. You can tell your friend there are plenty of public schools who haven't dumbed down curriculum and there are LOTS of teachers and coaches who do more than draw a freaking paycheck. And that kind of attitude is exactly why some of the public schools have problems with uppity snotty people who think they are too good to attend a public school. My public school has over 50 kids getting college credits this year on our campus with a partnership with a local university, has instilled a new freshman academy with teacher's working overtime, had 3 national merit scholars last year, and on and on.........don't lump all "public" schools in the same boat just because you are upset about some stupid athletic vote. Athletics schould not drive high schools. Get over it, the BOC won't let it happen anyway. You educator friend obviously isn't very educated.

  7. #22
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Quote Originally Posted by akw4572
    That's about as insulting as I've ever heard. You can tell your friend there are plenty of public schools who haven't dumbed down curriculum and there are LOTS of teachers and coaches who do more than draw a freaking paycheck. And that kind of attitude is exactly why some of the public schools have problems with uppity snotty people who think they are too good to attend a public school. My public school has over 50 kids getting college credits this year on our campus with a partnership with a local university, has instilled a new freshman academy with teacher's working overtime, had 3 national merit scholars last year, and on and on.........don't lump all "public" schools in the same boat just because you are upset about some stupid athletic vote. Athletics schould not drive high schools. Get over it, the BOC won't let it happen anyway. You educator friend obviously isn't very educated.
    This may be one of the best posts I've ever read on BGP. It is well thought out, it addresses the truly salient points of the issue of public versus private, and it perfectly captures the attitude of the post to which it replies.

    Absolutely excellent.

    Frances

  8. #23
    "old"shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 02
    Posts
    1,777

    Quote Originally Posted by akw4572
    That's about as insulting as I've ever heard. You can tell your friend there are plenty of public schools who haven't dumbed down curriculum and there are LOTS of teachers and coaches who do more than draw a freaking paycheck. And that kind of attitude is exactly why some of the public schools have problems with uppity snotty people who think they are too good to attend a public school. My public school has over 50 kids getting college credits this year on our campus with a partnership with a local university, has instilled a new freshman academy with teacher's working overtime, had 3 national merit scholars last year, and on and on.........don't lump all "public" schools in the same boat just because you are upset about some stupid athletic vote. Athletics schould not drive high schools. Get over it, the BOC won't let it happen anyway. You educator friend obviously isn't very educated.
    This is a good post. The only thing that I would ask(and this comes from you post)don't lump all of the privates schools in the same boat. Again this is a great post.

  9. #24
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Quote Originally Posted by "old"shooter
    This is a good post. The only thing that I would ask(and this comes from you post)don't lump all of the privates schools in the same boat. Again this is a great post.
    An excellent point - to not make generalized statements about privates or publics.

    Frances

  10. #25
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    10,228

    I also agree with Frances statement. My kids go to public schools and while I am not gonna brag, I would put their test scores with any of the privates. While I can usually understand that somtimes people get upset, the original post shows just how uneducated the person that was quoted was. Jesse James :fight:

  11. #26
    tigershark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James
    I also agree with Frances statement. My kids go to public schools and while I am not gonna brag, I would put their test scores with any of the privates. While I can usually understand that somtimes people get upset, the original post shows just how uneducated the person that was quoted was. Jesse James :fight:

    You have to look at the big picture when comparing public and private schools. It is not just the academic aspect of the school, most public schools are close to if not stronger than a good number of the private schools in Louisville with the exception of St. X. It is the spiritual and community aspect of catholic education that separates the two. Those benefits of private schools are not going to show up on test scores, and I would not expect most public school supporters to understand their importance. But when asking the question why are these private school so successful in everything they do, you have to consider these qualities to see the big picture.

  12. #27
    Nets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    West Liberty
    Posts
    7,349

    If KHSAA would make clearer language within the bylaws, a lot of things would be easier to digest.

  13. #28
    tigershark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by akw4572
    In recent testing scores, Ky. was above the national average in nearly every category. Maybe the Senator needs to reeducate himself in math, that's not "nearly 50th" in everything.

    45th or 50th, When it comes to Education, Kentucky is one of the worst states in the country across the board. Not even close to the national average. Yes the State is getting better, but we have a long way to go.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by tigershark
    45th or 50th, When it comes to Education, Kentucky is one of the worst states in the country across the board. Not even close to the national average. Yes the State is getting better, but we have a long way to go.

    I have been trying to stay out of this.
    Tigershark, quote your testing source to make this rank claim.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James
    I also agree with Frances statement. My kids go to public schools and while I am not gonna brag, I would put their test scores with any of the privates. While I can usually understand that somtimes people get upset, the original post shows just how uneducated the person that was quoted was. Jesse James :fight:
    Perhaps those who claim exceptional testing results from private schools can share or link to any site that reports these scores. I will await to hear or read these results.

Top