6 Baltimore Officers Suspended Over Death of Prisoner

Page 19 of Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad One (or two) HUGE issue to be considered about Body Cameras An officer pulls up to an emergency call and in his/her rus... 317 comments | 11174 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #271

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Stories about police aren't always true. I don't deny that they have been involved in a lot of lawsuits. Not arguing that. But you couldn't pay me enough money to be a cop there.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLZ...HisBUE&index=1

    That's fair. I'm not arguing that stories about the police are always true. Same goes for stories that the police use against citizens too though and/or legitimate complaints that aren't properly followed up on.

    I definitely wouldn't want to be a cop there either.

    What was the purpose of the video? Just wondered because it seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the post. I think you might have linked one of the videos that followed the one that you meant to post.
    Advertisement

  2. #272
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    I agree.

    I'm not really sure the extent of what they knew and didn't know and whether or not it was something that was a foregone conclusion and the process was basically a formality given how easy it is to get an indictment, but if her motives were political and to play to the crowd, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

    At the same time, I do think that the situation in Baltimore with the police there had gotten so bad over time (looking at the number of lawsuits that they've had and the reform that was obviously needed) that her hand was kind of forced on the issue somewhat as well. I don't think the officers were innocent, but I do think some of them were probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught out in a tornado.

    Not saying it's right, just saying that things didn't reach this point overnight. There are some pretty damning stories and videos of Baltimore police out there and in general that kind of point to some deep institutional problems within the department and it had eroded to the point that it was a city with quite a few people from all types of demographics and different walks of life who were saying "enough is enough".

    All that said, I'll be very surprised if all of the charges stick.
    Politics is never a good thing to use as a prosecutor. Pandering to the public versus seeking justice, for everyone involved, should be the goal.

    IMHO she should have let the Grand Jury hear the case. If her case is that great, it would have been a slam dunk for an indictment.

    She seems to have based much of the case on the ME report. She better hope the ME can withstand the cross examination and plentiful experts the defense will throw their way.

  3. #273
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,152

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post

    That's fair. I'm not arguing that stories about the police are always true. Same goes for stories that the police use against citizens too though and/or legitimate complaints that aren't properly followed up on.

    I definitely wouldn't want to be a cop there either.

    What was the purpose of the video? Just wondered because it seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the post. I think you might have linked one of the videos that followed the one that you meant to post.
    Yeah wrong video. The video I meant to post was about people that were certain a cop shot a guy in the back. The news even reported it...turns out the guy had a gun and it went off but no one shot him.

  4. #274

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,542

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Yeah wrong video. The video I meant to post was about people that were certain a cop shot a guy in the back. The news even reported it...turns out the guy had a gun and it went off but no one shot him.
    Yep. Fox News last week I believe. In Baltimore. Fox reporter swore he saw the guy shot down by the officer.

  5. #275

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,775

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    This entire process is going to be interesting.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the National Guard may have to be called in to Baltimore again before this whole process is over...

  6. #276

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Pretty bad stuff alleged against one of the officers a few years ago. Interestingly enough, there were two restraining orders against him, one from his ex-wife, and another from her new husband (who is also a police officer). These are pretty serious allegations.

    Freddie Gray officer threatened to kill himself and ex-partner's husband, court document alleges | US news | The Guardian

  7. #277
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,105

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    Pretty bad stuff alleged against one of the officers a few years ago. Interestingly enough, there were two restraining orders against him, one from his ex-wife, and another from her new husband (who is also a police officer). These are pretty serious allegations.

    Freddie Gray officer threatened to kill himself and ex-partner's husband, court document alleges | US news | The Guardian
    What part did this officer play in this incident? Is he one charged with murder or for not reporting the incident or something in between?

  8. #278
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    Pretty bad stuff alleged against one of the officers a few years ago. Interestingly enough, there were two restraining orders against him, one from his ex-wife, and another from her new husband (who is also a police officer). These are pretty serious allegations.

    Freddie Gray officer threatened to kill himself and ex-partner's husband, court document alleges | US news | The Guardian
    Like you said, alleged. A judge dropped the EPO, saying there was no basis in Maryland law to continue it.

    The judges I know don't drop EPO's without the petitioner requesting it be dropped or if, after a hearing, they find there is no basis to issue a DVO.

    Not saying he is a great guy but he has been convicted of nothing.

  9. #279
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    Pretty bad stuff alleged against one of the officers a few years ago. Interestingly enough, there were two restraining orders against him, one from his ex-wife, and another from her new husband (who is also a police officer). These are pretty serious allegations.


    Freddie Gray officer threatened to kill himself and ex-partner's husband, court document alleges | US news | The Guardian
    Did I read that wrong or is there another person, but article says new husband is a firefighter, the ex-girlfriend was a police officer but he was never married to her. I am so confused.

  10. #280
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    The mayor has said that all police officers will have body cameras by the end of the year. That should be a good first step to cutting down on some of the incidents and lawsuits.

  11. #281
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,152

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    The mayor has said that all police officers will have body cameras by the end of the year. That should be a good first step to cutting down on some of the incidents and lawsuits.
    And false accusations.

  12. #282
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,105

    I can't believe the transport vans didn't have cameras to begin with.

  13. #283
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    And false accusations.
    That's why I said it would cut down on lawsuits.

  14. #284
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,152

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post

    That's why I said it would cut down on lawsuits.
    Ok.

  15. #285
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Ok.
    Almost every study on their use has resulted in fewer uses of force and less claims of police brutality. You would have to think that means that several of those claims are bogus.

Top