5 of the 8 State Finalist are Private. Does Propostion 20 hold water?

Page 5 of Originally Posted by All Play No Work Are Ohio and Indiana in the rest of the states in America? Ok, let me clarify, MOST of the states in this country... 200 comments | 9197 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    We ARE on the same side! My sons attend a public 3A school, but the district provides the barest of essentials,and I might add, has pathetic community support!We field a relatively small number of players considering our enrollment, and have lots of kids playing multiple sports and mutiple positions.
    I just want all the kids that play sports to be able to play and enjoy it, and its definitely more fun if you play similar competition and actually walk on a field or court with a glimmer of hope of winning!First and foremost let's ALL
    remember it is about the kids and them alone!I wished someone would actually do a state wide poll of high school athletes and ask THEM what they want to do if anything about reclassing!Sports are for the kids, not us.Let their majority rule!
    Good points, but most of our programs aspire to play the better (and normally much larger) competition; in an effort to get better, and it seems to be working. There are classes in many sports, and the All "A" in several for the smaller schools.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    UNDERTHEBRIDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,901

    So this year it happens we have this occurrence. Anyone know how many Private schools have won 1A or 2A since the state championships were held in football? It would be one. 1984 I believe was the year. Anyone know how many 3A titles have been won by private schools? I'm pretty sure its 13 or 14 over the years. Guess what though, guess how many aren't T, X, and Flaget from when 3A was Jefferson County pretty much. 5, by Cov Cath, none coming since '97 I think. Only real Private dominance ever in football in history current or past seems to be in 4A where T and X have combined for 20 of 30 titles since 4A has existed. Maybe there is a dominance beginning to exist but I'd say this year is the first year where this type of thing has happened, it just happens on the coat tails of the whole Private/Public debate.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    You mean AAA Mason County, closing in on AAAA; with the biggest venue in the state??
    Mason County's enrollment last year was 803 and they were 2A just three years ago ... barely above the 2A-3A cutoff, they could hardly be characterized as "closing in" on 4A.

  4. #64
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Mason County's enrollment last year was 803 and they were 2A just three years ago ... barely above the 2A-3A cutoff, they could hardly be characterized as "closing in" on 4A.
    I stand corrected stat guy!! Still not quite a small little program who just happened to get one good player and win a state championship, like was suggested!! A proven program with a rich history--I stand by my point!!

  5. #65
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Do you know how states like Tennessee have seen their Finals attendance decline IN A MAJOR WAY since the split? Did you notice they can no longer beat KY in the All Star Game? Sounds like a GREAT plan for them, and they actually have the population to attempt such a blind stunt...
    I believe that you will see more Blue Chippers from TN playing in their Intra state game versus Georgia. Just as last year's game had only a handful of players that signed D-1 scholarships. This has been the case the past few years.

  6. #66
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Let me ask you this GRID. How do Danville, Boyle and Mayfield do it year after year? Closed enrollment, and non private? How can they manage to get 70+ out for the team???
    There is a lot to be said about building a program that kids will want to be a part of as Chuck Smith did and as Sam Harp has been doing. To their advantage, there are kids who KNOW that they will be attending Danville if they live in the city or Boyle County in not. There is not an abundance of schools in the area. Kids grow up looking up to players at both schools and they aspire to be as good or better when they get the chance. Add to this the family tradition over the years and you get a recipe for consistency. You have a specific area and numbers to draw students from. Now throw another school into the mix, one that can offer a good education and top notch athletics and facilities (not to mention ANY other possible perks) the dynamics change for everyone. I will let all the others plug in all the hypothetical numbers and fill in all the blanks to suit their respective situations but I think anyone can see the effects. Now I am sure that someone will say, "that is with any new school whether public or private." This is only my perspective from where I sit. Nothing more, nothing less.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    177

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Do you know how states like Tennessee have seen their Finals attendance decline IN A MAJOR WAY since the split? Did you notice they can no longer beat KY in the All Star Game? Sounds like a GREAT plan for them, and they actually have the population to attempt such a blind stunt...
    Are you saying that Kentucky only beats Tennessee now because Tennessee split the privates and publics?

    I kinda thought it had to do with Kentucky players getting better, now I know it was just because Tennessee is getting worse. Thanks for the insight gt, I would have never made the correlation.

  8. #68
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by sowcsoc
    Are you saying that Kentucky only beats Tennessee now because Tennessee split the privates and publics?

    I kinda thought it had to do with Kentucky players getting better, now I know it was just because Tennessee is getting worse. Thanks for the insight gt, I would have never made the correlation.
    KY players have been getting better in the system in place. Tennessee players have not been the same since the split. Do you really need it spelled out for you...

  9. #69
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    I believe that you will see more Blue Chippers from TN playing in their Intra state game versus Georgia. Just as last year's game had only a handful of players that signed D-1 scholarships. This has been the case the past few years.
    KY wasn't loaded with D1 players either...

  10. #70
    LeatherFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    Madisonville
    Posts
    290

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    Let's just take a look at that ...

    Owensboro Catholic turned their program around just a few years ago after Coach Mike Lawson (who previously was an assistant at Lexington Catholic) moved there as head coach (didn't he make "Coach of the Year" after that?).

    Haha turned the program around? That's classic, they were never "down". The previous coach (Mojo Hollowel) to Mike Lawson wasn't having trouble winning.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherFace
    Haha turned the program around? That's classic, they were never "down". The previous coach (Mojo Hollowel) to Mike Lawson wasn't having trouble winning.
    Owensboro Catholic was 3-8 in Hollowell's last season. The Aces were 6-6 in Lawson's first year, then started the run that has continued through this year.

  12. #72
    JC Alumni 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    3,269

    Why not just take the "need based tuition" or Scholarship out of the private schools and lets see what happens. If so many of yours athletes are paying to go to that school then what would be the problem. This would make everyone i imagine much happier and make it easier to deal with. Plain and simple, if any kid cant afford a private school education out of pocket without help then let them go to the publics with everyone else whether their are an athlete or not. Now what would be wrong with that idea?

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    1,583

    Who wouldn't be there if they could draw kides from any area,public scools are kides from that district I would say Highlands, Beechwood,

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    276

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76
    Why not just take the "need based tuition" or Scholarship out of the private schools and lets see what happens. If so many of yours athletes are paying to go to that school then what would be the problem. This would make everyone i imagine much happier and make it easier to deal with. Plain and simple, if any kid cant afford a private school education out of pocket without help then let them go to the publics with everyone else whether their are an athlete or not. Now what would be wrong with that idea?
    Would you also apply this theory to college financial aid, for both athletes and non-athletes? If so, every college in America would probably have around 100-200 students due to students who couldn't afford tuition not being able to attend.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,523

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76
    Why not just take the "need based tuition" or Scholarship out of the private schools and lets see what happens. If so many of yours athletes are paying to go to that school then what would be the problem. This would make everyone i imagine much happier and make it easier to deal with. Plain and simple, if any kid cant afford a private school education out of pocket without help then let them go to the publics with everyone else whether their are an athlete or not. Now what would be wrong with that idea?
    At Trinity about 40 percent of the students receive financial aid. What you propose shows a complete lack of understanding of the nature of the financial aid and how it is administered. Since the process has been explained many times on this site, I am forced to conclude that you have no wish to understand.

Top