5 of the 8 State Finalist are Private. Does Propostion 20 hold water?

Page 12 of Originally Posted by All Play No Work Are Ohio and Indiana in the rest of the states in America? Ok, let me clarify, MOST of the states in this country... 200 comments | 9197 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #166

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Question....

    WHAT IF:


    Counties who had small football participation/only one school/only one school with barely enough interest to field a team/ were allowed to combine and field a team of interested students together and compete?
    Those county schools would have to border each other and usually, out in the country, those are your bitterest rivals. Asking your bitter rival would be a hard sell. You would need Roy Boone as your coach.
    Advertisement

  2. #167

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    You are actually correct.

    Not too up on 2A in the western part of the state and O'Cath, but LexCath/CovCath do need to work harder to beat Highlands on a consistant basis. And NewCath which has to have the worst facilities in 1A, has had their coach say that Beechwood has raised the bar and made everyone work harder in 1A.
    Wonder if that will change with Yeagle resigning?

  3. #168

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Those county schools would have to border each other and usually, out in the country, those are your bitterest rivals. Asking your bitter rival would be a hard sell. You would need Roy Boone as your coach.

    Let's see....bitter rivalry....continue to have a bitter rivalry and both finish with little or no success in the season, or combine and actually compete and maybe make it deep into the playoffs, if not to State?

  4. #169

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I would agree with this except the money that runs the Sweet 16 won't let basketball become classified. Politicians would be losing their minds. Sweet 16 heroes from the past would be losing their minds. It would be pandemonium. Bring on Chicken Little if KHSAA proposed to classify basketball.
    Basketball might be the sacred cow but ...............what is stopping 2 or 3 classifications for baseball/softball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf?

    Why is Track and Cross-Country classified?

  5. #170

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Wonder if that will change with Yeagle resigning?
    Depends on who they hire and other things like if soccer comes to the school.

    Look at it this way. No reason for anything to change. Highlands has certainly had different coaches throughout the years but the program remains at the highest level.

  6. #171

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Basketball might be the sacred cow but ...............what is stopping 2 or 3 classifications for baseball/softball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf?

    Why is Track and Cross-Country classified?
    GREAT, GREAT question.

    KHSAA might have to classify some of these sports in a compromise to get Prop 20 dropped.

    It might be numbers. I cannot access the KHSAA website presently but wonder if there are enough schools competing in some of the sports that limits your ability to classify.

    Have no clue why Track, Football and CC got classified and others have not.

  7. #172

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    GREAT, GREAT question.

    KHSAA might have to classify some of these sports in a compromise to get Prop 20 dropped.

    It might be numbers. I cannot access the KHSAA website presently but wonder if there are enough schools competing in some of the sports that limits your ability to classify.

    Have no clue why Track, Football and CC got classified and others have not.
    Maybe not 4 classes like football, but I can't imagine there being that many more schools that offer cross-country or track than do soccer or baseball/softball.

    And there is nothing wrong with going to say 2 classes in volleyball or soccer now and increasing that to 3 when more schools add the sport.

  8. #173

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Probably so. Not sure what to make of it. I do not buy into the thought that those coaches and players of rural schools just need to work harder.

    Is it a situation that needs to be fixed. Not even sure on that. Just an interesting observation to me.
    Here's your fix, let the small rural schools that think they can't compete pull out and form their own league.

  9. #174

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    58

    Here's your fix, let the small rural schools that think they can't compete pull out and form their own league.
    For football thats not a bad idea. Let schools drop in division or form a seperate league if they become completely non-competative or are simply out matched year after year. The fact is that football is a game of numbers and of long term and deep (read feeder) systems. Hence it requires more resource and support to build and sustain top levels than any other sport. Throw in the Title 9 issue as a serious handicap for public schools since monies have to be evenly split and there is no girls equivelent to football in terms of resource.

    And this is not a 4A only problem. Its was very hard to watch undermanned teams play this season in 3A. Teams with barely 30 players on the sidelines and teams playing 4 - 5 players both ways did not really have any chance against well stocked teams with full O and D teams, regardless of the individual talent level.

    Disabling the powerhouses is not a good fix. There will always be the equivelent of the Yankees in baseball or UCLA in basketball. But ensuring schools and players are playing at the right level is needed.

  10. #175

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Posts
    51

    Instead of being so fixated on private schools' enrollment numbers and/or financial aid distribution, some publics should be more concerned with why, their more talented teams, according to the coaches all-district team vote, (ex. Manual with 17 all-district players) cannot beat teams with fewer talented players (Male-13 all district players, St. X-12 all dist4rict players).

  11. #176

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by 0116cwb
    Instead of being so fixated on private schools' enrollment numbers and/or financial aid distribution, some publics should be more concerned with why, their more talented teams, according to the coaches all-district team vote, (ex. Manual with 17 all-district players) cannot beat teams with fewer talented players (Male-13 all district players, St. X-12 all dist4rict players).
    I don't know that I would put all that much stock in those all-district teams ... they're so political. It wouldn't shock me if a few St. Xavier kids got left off some ballots and a few more Male and Manual players got on more than they deserved.

  12. #177
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by onetoya
    For every none district student we except we MUST also except their State CATS test scores. The point behind my post is that "WE" will not keep kids that do produce academically. Plus the reciprocal agreement only applies to surrounding school districts in state :sleep: Any others WILL pay PERIOD.

    Now to answer your "sounds like a PRIVATE school" comment. "WE" do not offer housing or finicial aid. In other words you private guys have the best of both worlds...Can offer "equal" aid and have ZERO testing accountability.
    Wow!! Housing???? Have you been to any of the private schools around thte state lately?? Most are lucky to have adequate classrooms, much less housing they can give away to prospective athletes!! In NKy NCC doesn't even have a football field, most play in small, outdated gyms they share with everyone, borrow soccer fields, etc. Thank goodness we are playing in the AIT this year--Maybe I can arrange to stay at some of those plush dorms at the private high schools, instead of the so-so hotel we're currently at??

  13. #178
    GRIDMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner
    So, good athletes can't be good students, and vice versa. That's an insult to the STUDENT-ATHLETES at each of these two schools.
    I believe I included the word "some".

  14. #179

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Posts
    51

    QUOTE=0116cwb]Instead of being so fixated on private schools' enrollment numbers and/or financial aid distribution, some publics should be more concerned with why, their more talented teams, according to the coaches all-district team vote, (ex. Manual with 17 all-district players) cannot beat teams with fewer talented players (Male-13 all district players, St. X-12 all district players).[/QUOTE]


    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I don't know that I would put all that much stock in those all-district teams ... they're so political. It wouldn't shock me if a few St. Xavier kids got left off some ballots and a few more Male and Manual players got on more than they deserved.
    Hummm. I agree. Must have involved some very shallow voters.

  15. #180
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    How many times must it be pointed out that several X players were left off the 1st team due to INJURY during district play? Like, say, Vic Anderson? Or Alex Kramer? Otherwise, those guys are first team all the way.

    More than politics, those ballots reflect individual play in district games against specific teams.

Top