Will Durant's strength play a role in the draft?

Page 3 of Just saw on ESPN that Kevin Durant, while at a pre-draft workout, could not bench 185 lbs. one time, not once! I know he is 6'9", very thin, and h... 43 comments | 2143 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Posts
    3,428

    You don't have to bench 185 to do the #1 thing in basketball it takes to be a success, that is put the ball in the hole and clearly KD can do that.........

    He is not being drafted as a PF or C, think Tayshaun Prince averaging 25 pts a game in 2 years........
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Posts
    3,428

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    My guess is he will be a better pick intially as a #2 than the Williams kid from UNC. Unlike Williams, Durant has game on the offensive end and is not simply a freak athlete like Williams.
    "Athletes" usually don't make the best basketball players......what was the kids name from UNC a few years ago that didn't even start there and got drafted top 10....

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by JD If U Please
    "Athletes" usually don't make the best basketball players......what was the kids name from UNC a few years ago that didn't even start there and got drafted top 10....
    That's Williams. He went #2 to ATL.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    21,402

    Quote Originally Posted by JD If U Please
    He is not being drafted as a PF or C, think Tayshaun Prince averaging 25 pts a game in 2 years........
    If he is either a great defender or a 25 a game scorer in two years I'll never post in another NBA-related thread.

  5. #35
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Doesn't strength play a role in the draft for every player?

  6. #36
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    "Ram Nation" ...in the twin cities of Raceland / Worthington. i dwell on the other side of the tracks.
    Posts
    37,980

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    I'd hate to the exec who passes on Durant because they thought he wasn't strong enough.
    Can you say "unemployment line"

  7. #37
    Latch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    LAT
    Posts
    3,422

    Quote Originally Posted by h.s.sportsrbest
    If he is either a great defender or a 25 a game scorer in two years I'll never post in another NBA-related thread.

    Define great defender.

    I think he'll be very close to 25 a game if R. Lewis is really gone or if he goes to Portland.

  8. #38
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,402

    He'll have some trouble adjusting to the physical nature of playing defense. It won't affect his offensive game so much.

    However, a caveat: He can take a big step forward by adding strength to his game, especially upper-body strength. That ability to deflect contact and finish can mean an extra 6-8 points a game on your scoring average, whether it be from finishing or just drawing fouls and heading to the line.

  9. #39
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,092

    The bench press numbers aren't what made me a little worried it was this:

    ESPN:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2894925


    Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

    Durant, however, had a 7-4¾ wingspan, which ranked second among all prospects and measured a half-inch wider than Oden's wingspan.

  10. #40
    Monty Python's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Posts
    315

    So Durant is longer but Oden is more athletic.

  11. #41
    Springsteen#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 07
    Location
    Darkness on the edge of town
    Posts
    883

    No GM is going to be the one that passes on him,especially Portland who can still remember Bowie instead of Jordan

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Posts
    3,428

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime
    The bench press numbers aren't what made me a little worried it was this:

    ESPN:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2894925


    Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

    Durant, however, had a 7-4¾ wingspan, which ranked second among all prospects and measured a half-inch wider than Oden's wingspan.

    Measurables are just that something someone can measure that sometimes helps predict future performance, and by the way the NFL draft usually goes you can see it is not an exact science.

    Bird didn't measure great I'm sure.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,031

    It won't hurt him at all, he'll fill out some still, maybe even get his bench up over 200 by the start of next season. But regardless it won't effect his game, the only time this bench press would play a factor is pushing someone else in the chest, the league tends to frown upon this so maybe it's best that he doesn't feel he's a man beast. When he thinks of pushing someone he'll remember he can't even press 185 and just shrug it off.

  14. #44
    calm like a bomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
    Posts
    359

    I cannot believe what kind of a freak athlete Oden is!!! Those numbers are typical of a 2 guard or small forward, not a 7 footer

Top