Football Recruits Getting Phone Calls

  1. #1
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,242

    Football Recruits Getting Phone Calls

    The only thing that is more exciting for a high school football player then getting mail from a college coach, is getting a phone call from a college coach.

    When can a coach call? This is one of the most misunderstood, or misrepeated question and answer I hear all the time. Normally, if a player is not getting calls, people say, "They are not allowed to call you". That may be a right answer, but it is often a wrong answer.

    College football coaches can not call you until April 15th of your junior year. They have a window of April 15th - May 31st of that year to make contact with you. Then, they can't call you again until September 1st of your senior year. Then, they are allowed to call you once per week, no more.

    Now, you may think, "I need to speak to them before they can call me", or "more then they can call me". Well, here is the beautiful thing, even though they have restrictions on when and how often they can call, you can call them anytime, and how ever much you want. So, if a coach is not calling you, you can call them. Also, remember, if you call them when they can not call you, and you leave a message for them to return your call, they CAN NOT call back. You will have to keep calling them until you speak to them.
    Advertisement
    Last edited by Ram; Feb 11, 12 at 11:16 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Could a coach be in a high school coach's office talking to the coach while the recuit is in the office? Could he say "Coach, we really like your big lineman Billy Joe and would love to have him come to our camp this summer" WHILE Billy Joe is in the office?

  3. #3
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,246

    I know it may be semantics...but when you say "call", are we talking strictly phone conversations? For some reason I thought there was no limit/restrictions on text messages. Is that true? Also how do emails fall into the mix? Seems to me you could have an assistant coach use the coach's phone or computer all day long without the recruit knowing whether or not it was the head coach conversing with him.

  4. #4
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,242

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Could a coach be in a high school coach's office talking to the coach while the recuit is in the office? Could he say "Coach, we really like your big lineman Billy Joe and would love to have him come to our camp this summer" WHILE Billy Joe is in the office?
    The way I understand it, if a college coach is in the building and "runs into a player" he may speak to him. But, the coach can not come to specifically see that player.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    The way I understand it, if a college coach is in the building and "runs into a player" he may speak to him. But, the coach can not come to specifically see that player.
    Can a high school coach call the recruit to the office while the collge coach is there in the office?

  6. #6
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,242

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    I know it may be semantics...but when you say "call", are we talking strictly phone conversations? For some reason I thought there was no limit/restrictions on text messages. Is that true? Also how do emails fall into the mix? Seems to me you could have an assistant coach use the coach's phone or computer all day long without the recruit knowing whether or not it was the head coach conversing with him.
    Unless the rule has changed, text messages are not covered because it's a relatively new form of communication. I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction added to that as well, but not yet. Some of the reason these rules where put in place was to stop coaches from calling a recruit 20 times a day and all hours.

  7. #7
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,242

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Can a high school coach call the recruit to the office while the collge coach is there in the office?
    The examples I have seen do not allow that to happen. But, as I said, they may "run in to him" while he is there. I'm not sure if an arranged meeting would be seen that way or not.

  8. #8
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,342

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Unless the rule has changed, text messages are not covered because it's a relatively new form of communication. I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction added to that as well, but not yet. Some of the reason these rules where put in place was to stop coaches from calling a recruit 20 times a day and all hours.
    Not 100% certain Ram, but I think texting is concidered a phone call. Seems like one of Sampson's offenses was unauthorized contact via text messages.

  9. #9
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,342

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    The examples I have seen do not allow that to happen. But, as I said, they may "run in to him" while he is there. I'm not sure if an arranged meeting would be seen that way or not.
    It wouldn't be "arranged".

    The high school coach just happened to need to speak to the player when the college coach arrived.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    During the time a coach cannot call a recruit he calls the coach and says "have Billy Joe call me." That way Billy Joe can make a decision as to his level of interest in the discussion.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Looks like the texting rules are the same as the phone call rules.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    The only thing that is more exciting for a high school football player then getting mail from a college coach, is getting a phone call from a college coach.

    When can a coach call? This is one of the most misunderstood, or misrepeated question and answer I hear all the time. Normally, if a player is not getting calls, people say, "They are not allowed to call you". That may be a right answer, but it is often a wrong answer.

    College football coaches can not call you until April 15th of your junior year. They have a window of April 15th - May 31st of that year to make contact with you. Then, they can't call you again until September 1st of your senior year. Then, they are allowed to call you once per week, no more.

    Now, you may think, "I need to speak to them before they can call me", or "more then they can call me". Well, here is the beautiful thing, even though they have restrictions on when and how often they can call, you can call them anytime, and how ever much you want. So, if a coach is not calling you, you can call them. Also, remember, if you call them when they can not call you, and you leave a message for them to return your call, they CAN NOT call back. You will have to keep calling them until you speak to them.
    Correct for the most part. However, after September 1 of a kid's senior year they can call an unlimited amount during a 'contact period' and once per week outside a contact period.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Unless the rule has changed, text messages are not covered because it's a relatively new form of communication. I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction added to that as well, but not yet. Some of the reason these rules where put in place was to stop coaches from calling a recruit 20 times a day and all hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Not 100% certain Ram, but I think texting is concidered a phone call. Seems like one of Sampson's offenses was unauthorized contact via text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Looks like the texting rules are the same as the phone call rules.
    Texting is impermissible until the calendar day after an NLI is signed or a financial deposit is received by the prospective student-athletes. It's been that way since like 2008 or so.

    However, that rule will likely change by next August.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    I know it may be semantics...but when you say "call", are we talking strictly phone conversations? For some reason I thought there was no limit/restrictions on text messages. Is that true? Also how do emails fall into the mix? Seems to me you could have an assistant coach use the coach's phone or computer all day long without the recruit knowing whether or not it was the head coach conversing with him.
    Coaches can't send emails to recruits with recruiting language until September 1 of their junior year in high school. They can send emails before that promoting football camps, etc.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Could a coach be in a high school coach's office talking to the coach while the recuit is in the office? Could he say "Coach, we really like your big lineman Billy Joe and would love to have him come to our camp this summer" WHILE Billy Joe is in the office?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    The way I understand it, if a college coach is in the building and "runs into a player" he may speak to him. But, the coach can not come to specifically see that player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Can a high school coach call the recruit to the office while the collge coach is there in the office?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    The examples I have seen do not allow that to happen. But, as I said, they may "run in to him" while he is there. I'm not sure if an arranged meeting would be seen that way or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    It wouldn't be "arranged".

    The high school coach just happened to need to speak to the player when the college coach arrived.
    During 'contact periods' coaches have up to 6 in-person off-campus contacts per prospective student-athlete.

    Anything beyond a casual greeting is considered a contact.

    There are only certain times of the year that are 'contact periods.' The other times of year are evaluation periods, quiet periods or dead periods.

    And the first permissible contact date is July 1 after the junior year in HS, I believe
    Last edited by dmderringer10; Oct 14, 12 at 12:39 AM.

Top