UofL yanking scholarships

Page 7 of Right before the early signing date. Bad optics Satterfirld.... 102 comments | 6374 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,776

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    The last staff wasn't even recruiting Trinity, so FS should be glad they were even looked at in the first place.
    I said a new staff wouldn't come in and cut a kid this late if he came from a traditionally talent rich school. Trinity just happened to be the first school in KY that came to mind. I could have used Hoover, or Miami Central or Warren Central IN ect.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,683

    Quote Originally Posted by okie1 View Post
    I said a new staff wouldn't come in and cut a kid this late if he came from a traditionally talent rich school. Trinity just happened to be the first school in KY that came to mind. I could have used Hoover, or Miami Central or Warren Central IN ect.
    Pure speculation on your part. If a kid doesn't fit, the kid doesn't fit regardless of where he's from.

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,776

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Pure speculation on your part. If a kid doesn't fit, the kid doesn't fit regardless of where he's from.
    You are right!

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,500

    I think people are missing the point. Not standing behind commitments made by your organization (in this case U of L) is bad business. He should have been honest with the kids about their playing prospects, but he also should have offered to honor the scholarships. Anything less is bad business and not the kind of people I want to do business with.

  5. #95
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,683

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum View Post
    I think people are missing the point. Not standing behind commitments made by your organization (in this case U of L) is bad business. He should have been honest with the kids about their playing prospects, but he also should have offered to honor the scholarships. Anything less is bad business and not the kind of people I want to do business with.
    It wasn't his organization. UofL didn't make the offer, Petrino and staff did.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,500

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    It wasn't his organization. UofL didn't make the offer, Petrino and staff did.
    At the time they made the offer they were employees of the University, so yes, unless they were planning to pay the scholarship money from their own pockets, they were making the offers on behalf of U of L.

  7. #97
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,683

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum View Post
    At the time they made the offer they were employees of the University, so yes, unless they were planning to pay the scholarship money from their own pockets, they were making the offers on behalf of U of L.
    We can just agree to disagree. New coaching staffs aren't required and shouldn't even be expected to honor the offers of a previous administration, IMO.

  8. #98
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,181

    I am fine with the offers being pulled.

    However, I am curious, what is happening at other D1 schools who have changed coaches? I realize situations are different and there might not be system mismatches at other schools. But I am curious if this happens regularly when schools change coaches.

  9. #99
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,151

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I am fine with the offers being pulled.

    However, I am curious, what is happening at other D1 schools who have changed coaches? I realize situations are different and there might not be system mismatches at other schools. But I am curious if this happens regularly when schools change coaches.
    It happens everywhere. Had the offers been pulled from out of state kids, this thread wouldn't even exist.

  10. #100
    Tigerpride94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    4,049

    I think it shows how bad Petrino had got in recruiting. Just look at the schools offering these kids. Some of them didn’t even have a power 5 conference offer.

  11. #101
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,552

    Quote Originally Posted by okie1 View Post
    There are a lot of HS coaches that take this stance if they feel like colleges screw over their kid.

    Colleges don't worry about that school if they don't produce a lot of D1 talent. U of L wouldn't have pulled those scholarships if those kids played at Trinity!
    Heck no they wouldn’t pull a T scholly. UL doesn’t care about some kid from FS. FS might have a UL prospect every 5 years. Trinity does annually.

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,422

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum View Post
    At the time they made the offer they were employees of the University, so yes, unless they were planning to pay the scholarship money from their own pockets, they were making the offers on behalf of U of L.
    Let's see if we at least agree on something:

    1 - Assume coaches went to kid and said "we don't think you're going to fit our scheme but we'll honor the scholly offer if you want it. Just to be clear, there's a real strong chance you won't play much or at all next year. If that happens, there's also a real strong chance your scholly won't be renewed for the following year."

    2 - Kid says "I believe in myself and really want to prove myself by graduating in DEC and coming to campus early."

    3 - Kid doesn't play and scholly isn't renewed.

    4 - Kid can't find a D1 place to land after not playing / being seen for a year and football career ends.

    Isn't pulling the scholly and giving the kid the full time until regular signing period to find a home better for the kid - whether he (or others) think so or not?

  13. #103
    Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Pride and Tradition NEVER Graduate!
    Posts
    5,696

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    I tried to like this post twice, doesn’t work for those wondering.
    I liked it for you.

Top