Sporting News Way Too Early 2020 Top 25

  1. #1
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    Sporting News Way Too Early 2020 Top 25

    College football rankings: Clemson, Ohio State lead way-too-early top 25 for 2020 season | Sporting News

    How can you create a top 25 for the 2020 season when 2019 isn’t even finished?

    Because we can, they're fun to talk about and everyone else is going to do them, too. Way-too-early rankings are a rite of passage in college football: It's the ultimate poll that doesn’t matter, but it does give us a frame of reference — and something to talk about — heading into next season.

    Here is the top 25 released by TSN:1. Clemson
    2. Ohio State
    3. Alabama
    4. LSU
    5. Georgia
    6. Oregon
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Penn State
    10. Florida
    11. Auburn
    12. Minnesota
    13. Texas
    14. Wisconsin
    15. Michigan
    16. Texas A&M
    17. Oklahoma State
    18. Utah
    19. Louisville
    20. Cincinnati
    21. North Carolina
    22. Arizona State
    23. Virginia
    24. UCF
    25. Boise State

    Let's go BGP what are your early thoughts? Who is too high, too low, missing, shouldn't be included?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,253

    I was hoping UK might crack the top 25. Glad and a little surprised to see UL at 19.......which might be more due to Coach Satterfield than the players.....need a lot of help on the DL.

  3. #3
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    1. Clemson-Trevor Lawerance is the #1 reason...if they win at Notre Dame, playoffs here they come again.
    2. Ohio State-Justin Fields Heisman campaign will be in full swing as the Bucks try to atone for the loss to Clemson.
    3. Alabama-QB??? Mac, Tualia or Bryce Young need to step up...defense needs to return to years past or Bama isn't this good.
    4. LSU-Life after Burrow. Will the coaching staff stay? The defense may be better, it all comes down to the QB play.
    5. Georgia-Too High!!! will finish out of the top 15 by the end of the season.
    6. Oregon-Never trust the Ducks, they'll stay in top 10 because PAC stinks though.
    7. Oklahoma-See above insert Sooners for Ducks and Big12 for PAC.
    8. Notre Dame-New year same story...OVERRATED. Will lose to Clemson and Wisconsin and somehow remain in the top 10.
    9. Penn State-I HATE Jame Franklin, I hope they lose every game.
    10. Florida-Will be in SEC title game may be in the running for the playoffs. I think UK and LSU both at home will be their toughest games.
    11. Auburn-You never know, but I think they end up between 15 and 20 with 3 or 4 regular-season losses.
    12. Minnesota-Gophers will probably make the B1G title game and end the season in the top 10 going into the bowls.
    13. Texas-I think they are a dark horse to win the Big12. At LSU in game #2 will tell us about both teams.
    14. Wisconsin-Notre Dame game at Green Bay will tell the tale about them...I think they finish behind Minnesota.
    15. Michigan-Washington, Wisconsin and Penn State will all beat them before the leaves change colors.
    16. Texas A&M-Could be a surprisingly improved team. They were better than their record last season and with a few breaks could make a jump in the SEC West.
    17. Oklahoma State-Who knows what the Mullet will do?
    18. Utah-yawn...
    19. Louisville-Really? Seems a little high when looking at the # of players they lose. This ranking is based of the respect for Coach I'd imagine.
    20. Cincinnati-I know zip about UC except it's in NKY somewhere.
    21. North Carolina-Never count the old coach out. Mack will have his boys ready each week and probably pull an upset or two.
    22. Arizona State-See #21 insert Herm!
    23. Virginia-Umm No, I don't think they will be a top 25 team by the end of the year.
    24. UCF-Seems about right for them.
    25. Boise State-see #24.

    No respect for Kentucky? I think the Cats could possibly end up second in the east, I've put UGA on upset alert.

  4. #4
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,713

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    ...
    20. Cincinnati-I know zip about UC except it's in NKY somewhere.
    ...


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    1. Clemson-Trevor Lawerance is the #1 reason...if they win at Notre Dame, playoffs here they come again.
    2. Ohio State-Justin Fields Heisman campaign will be in full swing as the Bucks try to atone for the loss to Clemson.
    3. Alabama-QB??? Mac, Tualia or Bryce Young need to step up...defense needs to return to years past or Bama isn't this good.
    4. LSU-Life after Burrow. Will the coaching staff stay? The defense may be better, it all comes down to the QB play.
    5. Georgia-Too High!!! will finish out of the top 15 by the end of the season.
    6. Oregon-Never trust the Ducks, they'll stay in top 10 because PAC stinks though.
    7. Oklahoma-See above insert Sooners for Ducks and Big12 for PAC.
    8. Notre Dame-New year same story...OVERRATED. Will lose to Clemson and Wisconsin and somehow remain in the top 10.
    9. Penn State-I HATE Jame Franklin, I hope they lose every game.
    10. Florida-Will be in SEC title game may be in the running for the playoffs. I think UK and LSU both at home will be their toughest games.
    11. Auburn-You never know, but I think they end up between 15 and 20 with 3 or 4 regular-season losses.
    12. Minnesota-Gophers will probably make the B1G title game and end the season in the top 10 going into the bowls.
    13. Texas-I think they are a dark horse to win the Big12. At LSU in game #2 will tell us about both teams.
    14. Wisconsin-Notre Dame game at Green Bay will tell the tale about them...I think they finish behind Minnesota.
    15. Michigan-Washington, Wisconsin and Penn State will all beat them before the leaves change colors.
    16. Texas A&M-Could be a surprisingly improved team. They were better than their record last season and with a few breaks could make a jump in the SEC West.
    17. Oklahoma State-Who knows what the Mullet will do?
    18. Utah-yawn...
    19. Louisville-Really? Seems a little high when looking at the # of players they lose. This ranking is based of the respect for Coach I'd imagine.
    20. Cincinnati-I know zip about UC except it's in NKY somewhere.
    21. North Carolina-Never count the old coach out. Mack will have his boys ready each week and probably pull an upset or two.
    22. Arizona State-See #21 insert Herm!
    23. Virginia-Umm No, I don't think they will be a top 25 team by the end of the year.
    24. UCF-Seems about right for them.
    25. Boise State-see #24.

    No respect for Kentucky? I think the Cats could possibly end up second in the east, I've put UGA on upset alert.
    Now that was good.

  6. #6
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,176

    I was blown away by Louisville going 7-5 this season. A lot of their wins were very close and their losses were not. For me, that's not a recipe for gaining many more wins next year. I guess the hope is that the teams responsible for for the close wins take a big step back, which might actually be the case with both Virginia and Wake Forest losing their best players. No telling what BC will be up to (a game that was just a two-point home win for the Cardinals).

    Four of the five losses are back on the schedule: Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Kentucky.

    Let's imagine Louisville wins all the games they won this year but flip either the crossover game (Virginia Tech at home in 2020 instead of Miami on the road) or the Kentucky game (in Louisville in 2020). Does an 8-4 Louisville team hit the Top 25 given the national reputation of the ACC?

  7. #7
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    If you can meet with Triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same...
    Posts
    24,182

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I was blown away by Louisville going 7-5 this season. A lot of their wins were very close and their losses were not. For me, that's not a recipe for gaining many more wins next year. I guess the hope is that the teams responsible for for the close wins take a big step back, which might actually be the case with both Virginia and Wake Forest losing their best players. No telling what BC will be up to (a game that was just a two-point home win for the Cardinals).

    Four of the five losses are back on the schedule: Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Kentucky.

    Let's imagine Louisville wins all the games they won this year but flip either the crossover game (Virginia Tech at home in 2020 instead of Miami on the road) or the Kentucky game (in Louisville in 2020). Does an 8-4 Louisville team hit the Top 25 given the national reputation of the ACC?
    Had UL contended or beaten UK, I would get the hype.

  8. #8
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,602

    How is UK left out and UL in after UK blew their doors off?! UK isn’t losing a lot and getting Terry back.

  9. #9
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    42,829

    Clemson
    Georgia
    LSU
    (All have gigantic holes to field)
    I can see Clemson being the best of the three.
    Notre Dame as usual severely overrated. The media never learns.
    Auburn again gets more pub then they deserve.
    Minnesota-I can see them going back to being Minnesota.
    Michigan won't be top 20.
    Texas A&M- Same as Michigan.
    20-25- I can see Boise State being better than them all.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,234

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    Clemson
    Georgia
    LSU
    (All have gigantic holes to field)
    I can see Clemson being the best of the three.
    Notre Dame as usual severely overrated. The media never learns.
    Auburn again gets more pub then they deserve.
    Minnesota-I can see them going back to being Minnesota.
    Michigan won't be top 20.
    Texas A&M- Same as Michigan.
    20-25- I can see Boise State being better than them all.
    Question do you think where Notre Dame finished this season was correct? Or would you say overrated for that too?

  11. #11
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    42,829

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Question do you think where Notre Dame finished this season was correct? Or would you say overrated for that too?
    They should not have been in the top 15. There best win during the season was Navy. Yes, I believe Navy was better than Virginia, which was their other so-called big win.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,234

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    They should not have been in the top 15. There best win during the season was Navy. Yes, I believe Navy was better than Virginia, which was their other so-called big win.
    So what teams behind them do you believe deserved to be above them?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,197

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    How is UK left out and UL in after UK blew their doors off?! UK isn’t losing a lot and getting Terry back.
    I kind of get it. I mean UK's entire offense was Bowden doing whatever it took to win the game and now he's gone. Not sure everyone is certain how well Terry Wilson will play next season. I'm really hoping UK's new defensive line coach can continue to coach up the talent the way they've been able to over the past few years.

    If UK looks good in their first few games I'd say they'll crack the top 25, they just need to prove they belong their with their play on the field.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    162

    The Notre Dame is overrated narrative may have been true in the past, but not recently. They've won 33 games in the last 3 years. They started the season around 9 or 10, and that's probably about where they'll finish.

    They return they're entire offensive line, a 3 year starter at QB, and most of what was a really good front 4 on defense...from an 11 win team.

    If people want to dislike ND, it's all good, but at least realize they really are a top 10-15 team. If you want overrated, look no further than Texas.

  15. #15
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    LSU lost Joe Brady today, that won't help them recover from losing Burrow any.

Top