SEC (This pains me)

  1. #1
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    42,765

    SEC (This pains me)

    The SEC was 100 times better than I gave them credit for during the 2019 season.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    69,364


  3. #3
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    69,364

    I thought the SEC was the best conference, but I didn't think it was dominant. Still not sure what to think, because you can put too much stock into bowl games, but perhaps it was better than I thought.

    Ultimately, college football was dominated by three teams. Then you had the rest of the bunch.

  4. #4
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,706

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    The SEC was 100 times better than I gave them credit for during the 2019 season.
    Shameless ploy from @newarkcatholicfan to take the early 2020 "Like" lead!

  5. #5
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,632

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Ultimately, college football was dominated by three teams. Then you had the rest of the bunch.
    That reminds me of the image that is going around of a Clemson helmet with the caption: "The ACC is NOT going for back-to-back National Championships, Clemson is."

  6. #6
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,183

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    That reminds me of the image that is going around of a Clemson helmet with the caption: "The ACC is NOT going for back-to-back National Championships, Clemson is."
    And the people saying that are doing so wearing their SEC t-shirts.

  7. #7
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    If you can meet with Triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same...
    Posts
    24,133

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I thought the SEC was the best conference, but I didn't think it was dominant. Still not sure what to think, because you can put too much stock into bowl games, but perhaps it was better than I thought.

    Ultimately, college football was dominated by three teams. Then you had the rest of the bunch.
    The SEC is always going to be a cut above. It’s football first country, that ain’t changing.

  8. #8
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,632

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    And the people saying that are doing so wearing their SEC t-shirts.
    No sir, it was decidedly Clemson people. They hammer their own league, they don't want any of the Conference Rah Rah stuff, it was Clemson people telling the rest of the ACC to get off of them.

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,183

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    No sir, it was decidedly Clemson people. They hammer their own league, they don't want any of the Conference Rah Rah stuff, it was Clemson people telling the rest of the ACC to get off of them.
    Yeah, they're the worst.

    Well, almost. Right behind the SEC homers.

  10. #10
    REALSPORT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    66

    It certainly doesn't hurt that for many SEC teams their bowl games are basically home games.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    182

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Yeah, they're the worst.

    Well, almost. Right behind the SEC homers.
    And what about Big 10 folks? Never hear any bias there.

  12. #12
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,102

    Quote Originally Posted by REALSPORT View Post
    It certainly doesn't hurt that for many SEC teams their bowl games are basically home games.
    I get this mindset. But bowl games for the most part are a reward for players and I'm sure even players on the Northern team like the chance at a warm weather game this time of year.

    Also warm weather attracts more fans to travel. Now I'm much more on your side of the argument during the regular season when warm weather teams refuse to schedule games on the road during cold weather season. Perfect example USC vs Notre Dame.

  13. #13
    SLINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    Fight On!!!
    Posts
    11,963

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    I get this mindset. But bowl games for the most part are a reward for players and I'm sure even players on the Northern team like the chance at a warm weather game this time of year.

    Also warm weather attracts more fans to travel. Now I'm much more on your side of the argument during the regular season when warm weather teams refuse to schedule games on the road during cold weather season. Perfect example USC vs Notre Dame.
    Are you saying USC plays at Notre Dame in the cold or not? Contractually, they play in South Bend in mid October and in Los Angeles Thanksgiving weekend.

  14. #14
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,102

    Quote Originally Posted by SLINK View Post
    Are you saying USC plays at Notre Dame in the cold or not? Contractually, they play in South Bend in mid October and in Los Angeles Thanksgiving weekend.
    The contract reads that way because USC refuses to play the last game of the year in South Bend. USC won't play in South Bend past Mid October.

    You are a USC fan if you say it's a smart move fine. But the fact is they won't play in South Bend when there is a greater chance of snow.

  15. #15
    SLINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    Fight On!!!
    Posts
    11,963

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    The contract reads that way because USC refuses to play the last game of the year in South Bend. USC won't play in South Bend past Mid October.

    You are a USC fan if you say it's a smart move fine. But the fact is they won't play in South Bend when there is a greater chance of snow.
    USC plays UCLA and Cal in November when the play Notre Dame on the road. I have never heard that USC refuses to play in South Bend in November. But, ever since I can remember, since the 70's, they have always played in mid October when the game is in South Bend.

Top