Proposed 16 Team College Football Playoff

Page 4 of While the current 4 team playoff is certainly better than previously taking just the top 2, I think there's still room to improve. I know many will say... 65 comments | 2475 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    0 for 2 on agreeing. Bama at their best is better and Bama at their worse is still better. I just don't think this OSU team is very good. They have some really nice RB's but over team just isn't there. A healthy full strength Bama team I think would roll OSU.
    You haven't watched enough OSU or enough Bama. This isn't the typical Bama team.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,333

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You haven't watched enough OSU or enough Bama. This isn't the typical Bama team.
    I've watched plenty of both. Offense can get stagnate at times but when it's clicking it's more than enough. Defense when at full strength is pretty nasty. Just been too banged up. OSU I think could be better, at least offensively but would need a different QB. I just don't think Barrett gives them what they need for that offense to work.

  3. #48
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,032

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Does anyone think the committee got it wrong this Year?
    One could argue for Ohio State over Bama, but that was the only debate. The reality is both were flawed. Not as if the debate was over two undefeated Power 5 conference winners, so that is why I do not have a problem with the decision.

  4. #49
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I've watched plenty of both. Offense can get stagnate at times but when it's clicking it's more than enough. Defense when at full strength is pretty nasty. Just been too banged up. OSU I think could be better, at least offensively but would need a different QB. I just don't think Barrett gives them what they need for that offense to work.
    It's not nasty like it has been in years past, it's efficient. They don't rush the passer and they can be run on unlike years past. Barrett is the root cause of inconsistency for OSU. He can play very well at times like the 4th quarter against Penn State, but can look awful as well like against Iowa 1 week later.

  5. #50
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,009

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    One could argue for Ohio State over Bama, but that was the only debate. The reality is both were flawed. Not as if the debate was over two undefeated Power 5 conference winners, so that is why I do not have a problem with the decision.
    Agreed. Alabama was more consistent over the course of the season. But if you're looking for the best 4 teams at this point in time, it can be easily argued that Alabama is not one of them.

  6. #51
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Agreed. Alabama was more consistent over the course of the season. But if you're looking for the best 4 teams at this point in time, it can be easily argued that Alabama is not one of them.
    That's why Alabama has earned the benefit of the doubt. They never look really bad like Ohio State did against Iowa. Even if they aren't one of the 4 best teams which I don't believe they are, they are the safest bet in college football to not get embarrassed. They will put up a fight every game no matter if they are a great team or not. I just think people mistake this trait for greatness when it's really more about consistency.

  7. #52
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,878

    I hate this P5 Football Communistic System that we have now. The only people that like it are those who have a self-serving, self-perpetuating interest in this newly formed have and have-nots and ESPN. I love the proposal above.

  8. #53
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I hate this P5 Football Communistic System that we have now. The only people that like it are those who have a self-serving, self-perpetuating interest in this newly formed have and have-nots and ESPN. I love the proposal above.
    Why? You enjoy watching beat downs? Watching Toledo get the chance to face Alabama or Clemson entices you?

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    It's not nasty like it has been in years past, it's efficient. They don't rush the passer and they can be run on unlike years past. Barrett is the root cause of inconsistency for OSU. He can play very well at times like the 4th quarter against Penn State, but can look awful as well like against Iowa 1 week later.
    Spot on. I'm the biggest Bama homer but this is not one of our typical defenses...I've seen more 4 yard gains on 1st down and 3rd and 7 pass completions against this defense since about 2008.

  10. #55
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,878

    It’s not just the playoff...it’s all the two tier system that goes with it. I think it could still be based on a ranking system not just automatic.

  11. #56
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,878

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Why? You enjoy watching beat downs? Watching Toledo get the chance to face Alabama or Clemson entices you?
    Ooops...see above.

  12. #57
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    It’s not just the playoff...it’s all the two tier system that goes with it. I think it could still be based on a ranking system not just automatic.
    Why don't we just go to a relegation system like European soccer? Haha Have 3 sections of Division 1 football. Power 5, Group of 5, and FCS. Every time a team like UCF has a good season move them up to Power 5 and kick Kansas or Illinois down to the Group of 5.

  13. #58
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,878

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Why don't we just go to a relegation system like European soccer? Haha Have 3 sections of Division 1 football. Power 5, Group of 5, and FCS. Every time a team like UCF has a good season move them up to Power 5 and kick Kansas or Illinois down to the Group of 5.
    I’ve thought about that also. It would have to be regionally based I would think and I would suggest that the schools swap schedules, but that opens up all kind of contract issues. However this would make a coach think twice about going to a P5 school JUST because they are a P5 which happens today.

  14. #59
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,878

    Say Mississippi was relegated to AAC and U Memphis went to the SEC next year...

  15. #60
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I’ve thought about that also. It would have to be regionally based I would think and I would suggest that the schools swap schedules, but that opens up all kind of contract issues. However this would make a coach think twice about going to a P5 school JUST because they are a P5 which happens today.
    In actuality it's not practical but I think it's a good idea. It would be pretty easy to figure out though as far as regionally based. The Big 10 and the MAC, PAC 12 and Mountain West, Big 12 and the Sun Belt, Conference USA and the SEC, and ACC and AAC. Moving teams up and down every year would be a mess and not to mention how much coaching turnover change it would cause. But let's say every 4 years there is a relegation process where the two best and two worst programs from those respected conferences move up and down. I think it would be very intriguing. I think it would help schools like Kansas and Rutgers build their program up against lower competition and would allow schools like UCF and Houston for example to have the opportunity to test themselves against the big schools. It would also provide us with better games week to week. Because as much as I like to bash the group of 5 schools like UCF they are better than the Rutgers of the world and provide better competition week in and week out. Obviously something like this would never happen, but I think it's a cool idea to think about.

Top