Proposed 16 Team College Football Playoff

Page 3 of While the current 4 team playoff is certainly better than previously taking just the top 2, I think there's still room to improve. I know many will say... 65 comments | 978 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,511

    I just don't get why so many have their panties in a wad over leaving it at 4.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by I gotta go to work View Post
    8 team playoff

    1. SEC Champ
    2. Pac 12 Champ
    3. ACC Champ
    4. Big Ten Champ
    5. Big 12 Champ
    6. Highest ranked Group of 5 team (C-USA, Mtn. West, AAC, Sun Belt, MAC)
    7. At Large
    8. At Large

    Seeds based on final rankings. This year would look like
    Clemson vs Central Florida
    Alabama vs Ohio State
    Georgia vs Wisconsin
    Oklahoma vs USC
    This is exactly how I feel it should be.

  3. #33
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    Raceland's "Ram Nation", U.K. "Big Blue Nation" ...Envy Our Past, Fear Our Future !
    Posts
    38,031

    Everyone has their own opinions on the CFB, be it 4, 8, 16 teams and that's what they are...Opinions. So here's mine. First off, my question would be "where does it stop" ? My point being that regardless how many teams are in a playoff, there's always going to be controversy on who got hosed, should've been in and on and on. 4 teams, why not 8 ? 8 teams, why not 16 ?
    I personally believe that 4 teams in a playoff are the right number and as far as it should go. One reason being is imo the importance of a regular season is already a little less now. I will use Ohio State as one example ...in 2016, Penn St. beat OSU head to head plus won the Big10 and yet OSU went to the CFP bc they were still believed to be better. 2017 rolls around, OSU Won the Big10 Championship by beating a 4th ranked, unbeaten Wisconsin. That result led to no Big10 team advancing and an Alabama team that didn't win it's division of the SEC, so they weren't in a championship game and yet still were chosen to go over a conference champion who had beaten more top 25 teams than Bama. Reason given was "total body of work" and the mention of an avg. at best Iowa team beating OSU so badly.
    Before anyone goes on here telling me that I am just defending OSU ...that's not the case at all. Should any want to check a couple of past threads, I plainly said that I didn't think that OSU would go bc of the way they lost to Iowa (allowing 55 pts.) and that was telling on them.
    I don't believe that there is a "perfect" system. I think that 4 teams are the correct number as not to devalue the importance of the regular season any more. That's jmo and we know what opinions are like ......everybody has one.

  4. #34
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    Raceland's "Ram Nation", U.K. "Big Blue Nation" ...Envy Our Past, Fear Our Future !
    Posts
    38,031

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I just don't get why so many have their panties in a wad over leaving it at 4.
    ....and that's a much simpler way of saying what I wrote a novel on trying to say the same thing.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,269

    At least the proposed 16 team plan is actually a system. The current set up is not a system. Its like judged sports at the Olympics (which many say are not real sports). The current set-up is totally subjective. And what ever narrative the committee comes up with works given the permutations.

    A true system would be mostly objective or at least give each team an specific objective path to being 'in'. Like the basketball tournament, winning your conference outright is certainly the most objective criteria. The 'at large' slots are the same as well.

    Under the current structure why worry about conference championship? Its now an unnecessary risk to teams who have a top notch regular season - like Auburn and Wisconsin.

    If you want the current set-up the only change I would make is to let Vegas decide on the top 4. Forget this incredibly subjective 'eye test' stuff. Let the pros tell us who would be the top 4 match ups are.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    May 17
    Posts
    105

    I gotta give you props @GrantNKY, I honestly fell for your practical joke on us in the last thread about this sort of topic, but now I have to hand it to you. I can tell you're impersonating the stereotypical uninformed CFB fan who bashes teams as a way to compensate. I fell for it, but it's actually a pretty good shtick. I probably would have never noticed it was a fake act, but you went a little too far in this thread and exposed yourself to be joking. Not really believable. You shoulda milked it for a little while longer and had some more fun at my expense.

  7. #37
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    9,118

    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusJS View Post
    I gotta give you props @GrantNKY, I honestly fell for your practical joke on us in the last thread about this sort of topic, but now I have to hand it to you. I can tell you're impersonating the stereotypical uninformed CFB fan who bashes teams as a way to compensate. I fell for it, but it's actually a pretty good shtick. I probably would have never noticed it was a fake act, but you went a little too far in this thread and exposed yourself to be joking. Not really believable. You shoulda milked it for a little while longer and had some more fun at my expense.
    It's not a schtick. I think there are a lot of things that need to be changed about college football. I don't think UCF can compete with any of the big boys with the way the sport is constructed right now. It's absolutely unfair to them. It's not their fault they aren't as good as any of the above average power 5 schools. Look I don't dislike UCF, I have a problem when people think they should be included in a discussion about the top 4 teams in the country. UCF is a great story, but leave the football to teams who can actually win not teams who would be a great story.

  8. #38
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,194

    The 16 team playoff is the way to go. Much better than the invitational we currently have.

  9. #39
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,511

    Does anyone think the committee got it wrong this Year?

  10. #40
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,511

    Here's why I don't want 16 or even 8. There aren't 16 or even 8 teams that can win the title.i want a system that gives the best chance of the 2 best teams getting in without devauling regular season games.I think picking 4 accomplishes that.

  11. #41
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    9,118

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Here's why I don't want 16 or even 8. There aren't 16 or even 8 teams that can win the title.i want a system that gives the best chance of the 2 best teams getting in without devauling regular season games.I think picking 4 accomplishes that.
    There are 8 teams IMO that could win this year IMO. The 4 in the playoff, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, and Auburn. Every year so far I think there have been at least 6 teams who could legitimately win. But I think 8 seems to be the number. You get into 16 teams and then you'll get some extremely lopsided matchups.

  12. #42
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    9,118

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Does anyone think the committee got it wrong this Year?
    As an Ohio State fan I really can't be that upset. There goal is to get the 4 best teams. Best implies consistency and Bama has been infinitely more consistent than OSU has. OSU at their best is better than Bama at their best IMO. But OSU at their worst is way worse than Bama at their worst. I would have a hard time feeling confident about OSU going into the playoffs because I have no idea which team would show up. I'm not sure that's what the committee wanted.

  13. #43
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,511

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    There are 8 teams IMO that could win this year IMO. The 4 in the playoff, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, and Auburn. Every year so far I think there have been at least 6 teams who could legitimately win. But I think 8 seems to be the number. You get into 16 teams and then you'll get some extremely lopsided matchups.
    Agree to disagree. Could those teams win it, sure. But all teams at their best and I don't think any of these has a legit shot at winning.

  14. #44
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,511

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    As an Ohio State fan I really can't be that upset. There goal is to get the 4 best teams. Best implies consistency and Bama has been infinitely more consistent than OSU has. OSU at their best is better than Bama at their best IMO. But OSU at their worst is way worse than Bama at their worst. I would have a hard time feeling confident about OSU going into the playoffs because I have no idea which team would show up. I'm not sure that's what the committee wanted.
    0 for 2 on agreeing. Bama at their best is better and Bama at their worse is still better. I just don't think this OSU team is very good. They have some really nice RB's but over team just isn't there. A healthy full strength Bama team I think would roll OSU.

  15. #45
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    9,118

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Agree to disagree. Could those teams win it, sure. But all teams at their best and I don't think any of these has a legit shot at winning.
    At their best these are the ONLY 8 teams in the country who could win. That's what I'm saying.

Top