Ohio State or Oklahoma for the playoffs, make your case

Page 9 of With OSU thumping Michigan and headed to the B1G title game against Northwestern and Oklahoma heading to the Big12 Title game against Texas, who gets i... 227 comments | 5340 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    523

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    If Stoops were still coaching, I would lay my life savings on OU going belly up this weekend against Texas. They still may, but under new management they do not seem to fold as easily.
    Tom Herrman in a big game is tough to beat. His offense will score points, and I'm willing to bet they will be fun to watch. The problem is when playing Oklahoma is you can score 50 and it doesn't guarantee you a win.
    Advertisement

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,354

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I don't think they'll miss them either, that was the 538 site projections...not mine.

    Ohio State has a much higher ceiling than Notre Dame does averaging 100 more yards a game and scoring 14 more offensive TDs this season. Notre Dame Defense statisically looks to be much better, but how'd that work out for Michigan?
    Notre Dame had a Maryland game of their own when they nearly lost to Vanderbilt.

    As far as last week, even nearly losing I thought OSU was the most dangerous team in the country.
    Yep and Notre Dames close call to Vandy came when their now current backup qb was still the starter. Keep in mind Notre Dame also dominated that same Michigan team OSU just beat, with the game never being in doubt. Notre Dame did that with their backup qb who couldn't throw.

    One of the aspects of a good team is consistency. OSU hasnt shown that. Beat down by a team who barely is bowl eligible. Barely beating a bad Nebraska and Maryland team.

    If you knew the last week team of OSU would show up every week. Then I can see what your saying. However OSU hasnt shown that ability to do that.

  3. #123
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,426

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Yep and Notre Dames close call to Vandy came when their now current backup qb was still the starter. Keep in mind Notre Dame also dominated that same Michigan team OSU just beat, with the game never being in doubt. Notre Dame did that with their backup qb who couldn't throw.

    One of the aspects of a good team is consistency. OSU hasnt shown that. Beat down by a team who barely is bowl eligible. Barely beating a bad Nebraska and Maryland team.

    If you knew the last week team of OSU would show up every week. Then I can see what your saying. However OSU hasnt shown that ability to do that.
    I completely agree, what I'm saying is OSU at their best is much better than Notre Dame at their best.

    I'm in no way an Ohio State fan, I just watch a lot of college football and that's how I see it.

  4. #124
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,497

    Going to take off the scarlet-colored glasses and try to look at it objectively. If OU starts out ahead of OSU in this week's rankings, AND plays a higher-ranked opponent to begin with...you'd have to feel that if there is any type of similarity in "style points" (either both are close, or both are blowouts) between the two games, that OSU is not going to be able to jump OU in the final rankings if both win.

    However, that being said...if there IS a difference in style points (say, OSU wins by 20+, and OU squeeks by by 3)...then, I think there is a possibility that OSU jumps them. While OSU would have the worse loss, they also have the best W too.

    Here's the thing that I'm intrigued by as well. With the dominating win over Michigan, OSU has effectively let some of the air out of the Notre Dame best win. If Pittsburgh gets curb-stomped by Clemson this weekend, they'll finish outside the top 25...leaving Syracuse (probably somewhere in the upper teens/low 20's) as the only other ranked team other than Northwestern that ND beat. And if the Bucks knock them off in dominating fashion in the B1G championship, they could easily finish the season unranked as well. So, who else are they going to hang their hat on?

    Which brings me to this...if Alabama beats Georgia, AND both OSU and OU win in dominating fashion (20+), I think there's a legitimate chance that both may get in, and it's Notre Dame that is on the outside looking in. I know everybody has said if they go undefeated, which they have, that they're a lock to get in. Maybe they are. I just think that with them not playing this upcoming weekend, that both OSU and OU have a chance, even with 1 loss, to gain on them. Whether or not it's enough to pass them, I don't know. But, I do think there's a chance.

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Everyone can essentially leave ND out of all discussions and scenarios. ND is in the playoffs period. They are an undefeated team that played 12 FBS schools. This is a two horse race considering Bama beats UGA. OK and OSU. I think OSU's body of work combined with the Purdue loss; and close calls with everyone it seems except for Michigan will come back to haunt them.

  6. #126
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,442

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I completely agree, what I'm saying is OSU at their best is much better than Notre Dame at their best.

    I'm in no way an Ohio State fan, I just watch a lot of college football and that's how I see it.
    I get what you're saying but I disagree. At their best, OSU still has no defense. At their best, ND can play much better defense than OSU.

  7. #127
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,243

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Notre Dame had a Maryland game of their own when they nearly lost to Vanderbilt.
    True, but you cannot overlook the fact that Ohio St. had a Purdue game whereas Notre Dame did not. I cannot fathom why so many people think that Ohio St. deserves to jump Notre Dame when one team is undefeated and that other lost a game to a mediocre team by 4 TDs. That has to matter. Otherwise just decide the playoff teams by a popularity contest.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    523

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    True, but you cannot overlook the fact that Ohio St. had a Purdue game whereas Notre Dame did not. I cannot fathom why so many people think that Ohio St. deserves to jump Notre Dame when one team is undefeated and that other lost a game to a mediocre team by 4 TDs. That has to matter. Otherwise just decide the playoff teams by a popularity contest.
    You have to factor in strength of schedule as well though. Looking at your argument UCF needs to be in too. They're undefeated.

    This is not an argument for OSU as I feel Notre Dame should get the nod over them as well, but undefeated vs not, should not be the be all end all.

  9. #129
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,243

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Yep and Notre Dames close call to Vandy came when their now current backup qb was still the starter. Keep in mind Notre Dame also dominated that same Michigan team OSU just beat, with the game never being in doubt. Notre Dame did that with their backup qb who couldn't throw.
    In addition to Book not playing vs. Vanderbilt, don't forget that the Irish were also without Dexter Williams. Williams is the the leading rusher and scorer for the Irish despite missing the first 1/3 of the season.

    To be fair though, at the time Wimbush was the Irish starting QB, although obviously Kelly was showing a bit too much loyalty to him. And I wouldn't say that he can't throw. By no means is he anywhere near as talented a passer as Book, but Wimbush won a lot of games for the Irish as their QB, and I don't want to overlook that, as I appreciate the job that he did, and feel confident that should he need to play he is capable of winning the game for Notre Dame.

  10. #130
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,426

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    True, but you cannot overlook the fact that Ohio St. had a Purdue game whereas Notre Dame did not. I cannot fathom why so many people think that Ohio St. deserves to jump Notre Dame when one team is undefeated and that other lost a game to a mediocre team by 4 TDs. That has to matter. Otherwise just decide the playoff teams by a popularity contest.
    I think Notre Dame is in, I'm just saying if I was Clemson, Alabama or Oklahoma...I'd rather play Notre Dame than OSU. OSU is just awfully dangerous with that offense.

  11. #131
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,243

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Here's the thing that I'm intrigued by as well. With the dominating win over Michigan, OSU has effectively let some of the air out of the Notre Dame best win. If Pittsburgh gets curb-stomped by Clemson this weekend, they'll finish outside the top 25...leaving Syracuse (probably somewhere in the upper teens/low 20's) as the only other ranked team other than Northwestern that ND beat. And if the Bucks knock them off in dominating fashion in the B1G championship, they could easily finish the season unranked as well. So, who else are they going to hang their hat on?
    So if all that happens why should it affect Notre Dame? Sure last week was a hit on the Irish's best win, but at the same time, what win does Ohio St. have that is better? I'd saying beating Michigan was the best win for each of them.

    And why is it Notre Dame that everyone wants to dump on. What has Clemson done to be safe from being jumped by Ohio St. and Oklahoma a la Notre Dame. They will have likely only beat two top 25 teams as well. Texas A&M and Syracuse, both of which they were fortunate were not loses. Even if Syracuse blows out Pitt a team against which Notre Dame barely squeaked by, they still have the Syracuse game in which Notre Dame blew them out while Clemson had to come from behind to win at the end.

  12. #132
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,442

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    You have to factor in strength of schedule as well though. Looking at your argument UCF needs to be in too. They're undefeated.

    This is not an argument for OSU as I feel Notre Dame should get the nod over them as well, but undefeated vs not, should not be the be all end all.
    It's not like ND didn't defeat ranked opponents. OSU was shaky all season, they really didn't look top 4.

  13. #133
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,442

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I think Notre Dame is in, I'm just saying if I was Clemson, Alabama or Oklahoma...I'd rather play Notre Dame than OSU. OSU is just awfully dangerous with that offense.
    Not with that defense they're not. Just ask Nebraska, Maryland and Purdue.

  14. #134
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,243

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    You have to factor in strength of schedule as well though. Looking at your argument UCF needs to be in too. They're undefeated.

    This is not an argument for OSU as I feel Notre Dame should get the nod over them as well, but undefeated vs not, should not be the be all end all.
    Notre Dame's strenght of schedule compares decently with the other teams in the playoff discussion. At the beginning of the year on paper it was a much better schedule, but they were hurt by the poor play of Stanford, Virginia Tech, Southern Cal, and Florida St.

    At the time they played the Irish, Stanford was ranked #7 and Virginia Teach was ranked #24. Obviously those ranking have not held, but Notre Dame can't help that.

    Central Florida's strength of schedule is nowhere close to comparable to the other teams.

  15. #135
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,426

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Not with that defense they're not. Just ask Nebraska, Maryland and Purdue.
    They only need a decent D if their offense is clicking...ask Michigan.
    Ohio State's 3rd down D is 11th in the country just ahead of Bama, Clemson and Georgia and 78 spots better than ND.
    Ohio State and Notre Dame are virtually tied in the number of 1st downs they give up.
    Ohio State is 70th in 4th quarter defensive scoring, looks like they give up some garbage TDs late.
    Defensively they give up just over7 points more than Notre Dame does, while scoring 10 more points a game.

Top