Ohio State or Oklahoma for the playoffs, make your case

Page 2 of With OSU thumping Michigan and headed to the B1G title game against Northwestern and Oklahoma heading to the Big12 Title game against Texas, who gets i... 227 comments | 5340 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    I’m not going to comment on it any further, but the loss to Iowa isn’t what kept Ohio State out of the playoffs. Ohio State had 2 losses and anyone who suggests this isn’t what kept them out is foolish. I don’t know what’s going to happen. Ohio State and Oklahoma both have tough games next week. This doesn’t even consider the possibility that Georgia could beat Bama and then it’s a debate between 3 teams. Right now, Ohio State beat Michigan and that’s all I’m worried about. We didn’t just beat Michigan, we broke their will to live. So bring it on, let the chips fall as they will.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,905

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I’m not going to comment on it any further, but the loss to Iowa isn’t what kept Ohio State out of the playoffs. Ohio State had 2 losses and anyone who suggests this isn’t what kept them out is foolish. I don’t know what’s going to happen. Ohio State and Oklahoma both have tough games next week. This doesn’t even consider the possibility that Georgia could beat Bama and then it’s a debate between 3 teams. Right now, Ohio State beat Michigan and that’s all I’m worried about. We didn’t just beat Michigan, we broke their will to live. So bring it on, let the chips fall as they will.
    What 3 teams would that be?

  3. #18
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    What 3 teams would that be?
    If Georgia beats Bama? Isn’t it sort of obvious?

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    10,594

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    People down played it last year and it cost them the 4th spot last year. And I think you are down playing it too. The committee said last year they did take into account OSU beat down lost to a bad Iowa team last year. When it chose non conference champ Bama over a conference champ OSU.

    Imo its the same deal this year. That blow out lost OSU had to a team who barely became bowl eligible cant be forgotten. Especially when compared to a team who also won their conference championship and their only lost coming by 3 to a top 20 team. If OSU just simply got upset in a close game on the road, then I agree with you. However that beat down lost to a bad team does hurt OSU more than Texas lost and it should. You don't see top teams take beat down losses to bad teams like we saw osu do.
    A big part of this involves Notre Dame being undefeated, which will probably stop two SEC teams getting in. Notre Dame is in if they win in any way, shape or form tonight. Iím not downplaying anything. OSU had a bad loss to Purdue and Oklahoma lost to Texas, whom also lost to Maryland, which is all going to be taken in to consideration. If Oklahoma beats Texas and does it convincing, itís probably enough.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,905

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    If Georgia beats Bama? Isn’t it sort of obvious?
    Not really. Are you saying Alabama would be hoping for the 4th spot then?

  6. #21
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    Quote Originally Posted by hrcarrier View Post
    A big part of this involves Notre Dame being undefeated, which will probably stop two SEC teams getting in. Notre Dame is in if they win in any way, shape or form tonight. I’m not downplaying anything. OSU had a bad loss to Purdue and Oklahoma lost to Texas, whom also lost to Maryland, which is all going to be taken in to consideration. If Oklahoma beats Texas and does it convincing, it’s probably enough.
    What’s convincing by your definition? I can promise you right now Oklahoma will not win by more than 1 TD.

  7. #22
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    Not really. Are you saying Alabama would be hoping for the 4th spot then?
    100%. You don’t think Bama will still be considered if they lose to Georgia.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    10,594

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    What’s convincing by your definition? I can promise you right now Oklahoma will not win by more than 1 TD.
    I don’t think that they will either, I’m thinking by twenty plus, which is the point of my argument for Ohio State. They have looked bad a lot of the season, but they just beat #4 convincingly, which may be a big help for them.

  9. #24
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,261

    Assuming OU and OSU both win next week, you could certainly make an argument for either. OU plays absolutely no defense, will that factor in?

    It’s not going to matter which one gets in, IMO. Either one is losing to Bama.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,556

    Remove - Both ADs are on committee.

  11. #26
    Mack The Knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    "Last night when we were young"
    Posts
    6,030

    Georgia

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,905

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    100%. You don’t think Bama will still be considered if they lose to Georgia.
    I think in that scenario its Alabama and not even close. I don't really think it's a 3 team debate if that were to happen.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,565

    The Texas lost to Maryland isn’t on the table. Anymore than the Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcarrier View Post
    A big part of this involves Notre Dame being undefeated, which will probably stop two SEC teams getting in. Notre Dame is in if they win in any way, shape or form tonight. I’m not downplaying anything. OSU had a bad loss to Purdue and Oklahoma lost to Texas, whom also lost to Maryland, which is all going to be taken in to consideration. If Oklahoma beats Texas and does it convincing, it’s probably enough.

  14. #29
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    I think in that scenario its Alabama and not even close. I don't really think it's a 3 team debate if that were to happen.
    Well Alabama getting in wouldn’t surprise me and I would probably expect that to happen, but you’re crazy if you think it’s not a debate.

  15. #30
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,128

    In a hypothetical matchup of OSU/OU, I don’t know who would win. But what would the O/U be? 150?

Top