Notre Dame’s Independent status

Page 4 of Notre Dame showing it never needed a conference I forget if this article was posted on this site. It's from a few weeks ago. But it relevant because in... 139 comments | 2592 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Their admission standards?
    Correct. They were lowered in 2009. Something Kelly wanted badly.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,188

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    It was a figure of speech. You know what I meant.
    Even as a figure of speech, why should I get that upset about the results of a football game?

  3. #48
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Obviously Ohio State needed to this year. The Big Ten didn't save them.
    For the 10 billionth time, it was because it was a rare year where ND went undefeated. That has never been my argument. An undefeated ND will always get in. A 1 loss ND will never get in. A 1 loss Ohio State has gotten in twice.

  4. #49
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    Even as a figure of speech, why should I get that upset about the results of a football game?
    You shouldn't.

  5. #50
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Correct. They were lowered in 2009. Something Kelly wanted badly.
    Oh come on, ND is still hauling in top 10-15 classes every year.

  6. #51
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    Even as a figure of speech, why should I get that upset about the results of a football game?
    Not saying you should. Just telling you how those cities would react.

  7. #52
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    For the 10 billionth time, it was because it was a rare year where ND went undefeated. That has never been my argument. An undefeated ND will always get in. A 1 loss ND will never get in. A 1 loss Ohio State has gotten in twice.
    And for the 11 billionth time, it won't guarantee you a spot. If a team like ND goes undefeated, a team like OSU doesn't get in. The Irish and their fans seem to be fine with the way things are. You aren't going to change that.

  8. #53
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Oh come on, ND is still hauling in top 10-15 classes every year.
    So, that means in all those years before the playoffs, when they were doing poorly it was because of not being in a conference in your opinion? I disagree and you can't make a case to change my mind.

  9. #54
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,188

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Correct. They were lowered in 2009. Something Kelly wanted badly.
    Kinda amazing how that translated to better results on the football field. Just like when Lou Holtz was given greater latitude with a few recruits each year.

  10. #55
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    47,888

    You can't use a one year outlier for this argument. ND hit the perfect storm this year, with nearly every opponent being down and them running it out defeated. Let's see ND finish with just 1 loss three or four times in a six year stretch and see how many times they miss the playoffs...then we'll have a conversation.

    ND is doing a disservice to their year in and year out title hopes by remaining independent. If that doesn't matter to the school or their fans, that's fine.

  11. #56
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,045

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Thats not what I meant and you know it. Religion is the single biggest driving factor in decisions for a large percentage of Americans. That’s just a fact. For a lot of Catholics that’s why they are ND fans. Obviously not every catholic is an ND fan. But you know what I mean.
    I would say Catholicism and being the fighting Irish. Irish is the 2nd largest ethnicity in America. I'm Catholic and half Irish , I was told at a young age we root for Notre Dame.

  12. #57
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,045

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    For the 10 billionth time, it was because it was a rare year where ND went undefeated. That has never been my argument. An undefeated ND will always get in. A 1 loss ND will never get in. A 1 loss Ohio State has gotten in twice.
    I disagree on the one loss point. I think it was in 2015 ND was in the top 4 late into the season until they got their 2nd loss. This year would of been tough because of how teams on their schedule ended up finishing. But there are some years ND schedule finishes top 10 and they could get in with one loss.

  13. #58
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    You can't use a one year outlier for this argument. ND hit the perfect storm this year, with nearly every opponent being down and them running it out defeated. Let's see ND finish with just 1 loss three or four times in a six year stretch and see how many times they miss the playoffs...then we'll have a conversation.

    ND is doing a disservice to their year in and year out title hopes by remaining independent. If that doesn't matter to the school or their fans, that's fine.
    Let's have a playoff that's isn't an invitational and we can have a real conversation.

  14. #59
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    And for the 11 billionth time, it won't guarantee you a spot. If a team like ND goes undefeated, a team like OSU doesn't get in. The Irish and their fans seem to be fine with the way things are. You aren't going to change that.
    When did I say it guarantees a spot? The only thing I’ve said is right now a 1 loss ND is guaranteed not to be in.

  15. #60
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    So, that means in all those years before the playoffs, when they were doing poorly it was because of not being in a conference in your opinion? I disagree and you can't make a case to change my mind.
    To put in bluntly, yes. Being in a conference is a HUGE advantage imo. Now some bad coaching hires certainly helped.

Top