Notre Dame’s Independent status

Page 3 of Notre Dame showing it never needed a conference I forget if this article was posted on this site. It's from a few weeks ago. But it relevant because in... 139 comments | 2596 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Also, I never said the Notre Dame fan based cared about Notre Dame's financial situation. Notre Dame cares about Notre Dame's financial situation.

    Also, if a program is wasting its time not trying to win a national title, then more than 50% of FBS schools should drop their programs immediately.
    Well we’ve discussed our differing opinions on non P5 programs several times. Every single power 5 program in the country should have aspirations of winning a national championship IMO. If you aren’t actively trying to build your program with the hopes of one day competing for a national championship then yes your school should disband it’s football program because you are doing a disservice. Even Rutgers should be making decisions that give them the best chance to build a national championship program. I don’t care how well ND is doing financially right now, they would be doing better if they were competing for championships regularly.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It's not like you get excommunicated for not being a fan.
    Thats not what I meant and you know it. Religion is the single biggest driving factor in decisions for a large percentage of Americans. That’s just a fact. For a lot of Catholics that’s why they are ND fans. Obviously not every catholic is an ND fan. But you know what I mean.

  3. #33
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,188

    And it's not like every Catholic in this country is automatically a Notre Dame fan. Believe it or not some people actually like Boston College.

  4. #34
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Well we’ve discussed our differing opinions on non P5 programs several times. Every single power 5 program in the country should have aspirations of winning a national championship IMO. If you aren’t actively trying to build your program with the hopes of one day competing for a national championship then yes your school should disband it’s football program because you are doing a disservice. Even Rutgers should be making decisions that give them the best chance to build a national championship program. I don’t care how well ND is doing financially right now, they would be doing better if they were competing for championships regularly.
    Being in a conference doesn't guarantee that. It sure hasn't helped the team you just mentioned, Rutgers. It didn't help the Buckeyes this year either.

  5. #35
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Thats not what I meant and you know it. Religion is the single biggest driving factor in decisions for a large percentage of Americans. That’s just a fact. For a lot of Catholics that’s why they are ND fans. Obviously not every catholic is an ND fan. But you know what I mean.
    I know a lot of Catholics, most of them aren't Irish fans.

  6. #36
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    You hear what you want to hear. Got it.
    All I can compare it to is my own fandom. If Ohio State went on a stretch like ND has these past 30 years where not only are they rarely competing for championships but for a lot of those years been completely irrelevant, Columbus would burn to the ground. Same with Tuscaloosa, Lincoln, Ann Arbor, Norman, Austin, Baton Rouge, etc. I don’t see why ND fans don’t expect the same thing from their team as fans of these other schools do. I’ll never understand that. ND should not have been as bad at football as they have been since 1988. Period. There is no doubt in my mind that their independence is a large reason for their lack of success.

  7. #37
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    Let's face it outside of maybe 12 to 15 teams, most schools field a team each year knowing full well that they are not going to win a national championship.

    Over the last 20 years (which also coincides with the formation of the BCS) only 12 different teams have won a title. Outside of a Notre Dame win this year, that number will not increase. Odds are pretty good already that come next year the playoff spots will be filled by those same teams.
    The fact that ND isn’t one of those 12 teams should tick ND fans off. That’s an embarrassment for such a proud university.

  8. #38
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    I know a lot of Catholics, most of them aren't Irish fans.
    Obviously you haven’t spent much time in major cities in the Northeast and Midwest. Just because there aren’t a lot of Catholic Irish fans in KY doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

  9. #39
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Being in a conference doesn't guarantee that. It sure hasn't helped the team you just mentioned, Rutgers. It didn't help the Buckeyes this year either.
    Rutgers is run by incompetent people. And once again sit didn’t work out for Ohio State this year because it’s the one year it did for ND. All but 2 years in my lifetime has NDs plan worked for them in some capacity and neither resulted in a national championship. It doesn’t change the fact that ND has to go undefeated and Ohio State doesn’t.

  10. #40
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    All I can compare it to is my own fandom. If Ohio State went on a stretch like ND has these past 30 years where not only are they rarely competing for championships but for a lot of those years been completely irrelevant, Columbus would burn to the ground. Same with Tuscaloosa, Lincoln, Ann Arbor, Norman, Austin, Baton Rouge, etc. I don’t see why ND fans don’t expect the same thing from their team as fans of these other schools do. I’ll never understand that. ND should not have been as bad at football as they have been since 1988. Period. There is no doubt in my mind that their independence is a large reason for their lack of success.
    What can I tell you, we have a better class of fans.

    Seriously though, their standards were more of a reason for that by far IMO.

  11. #41
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    What can I tell you, we have a better class of fans.

    Seriously though, their standards were more of a reason for that by far IMO.
    Their admission standards?

  12. #42
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Obviously you haven’t spent much time in major cities in the Northeast and Midwest. Just because there aren’t a lot of Catholic Irish fans in KY doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
    I never said they didn't exist. That was an assumption on your part.

  13. #43
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,188

    Yeah, I should go burn down South Bend because a football team I like didn't win the National Championship.

  14. #44
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,398

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Rutgers is run by incompetent people. And once again sit didn’t work out for Ohio State this year because it’s the one year it did for ND. All but 2 years in my lifetime has NDs plan worked for them in some capacity and neither resulted in a national championship. It doesn’t change the fact that ND has to go undefeated and Ohio State doesn’t.
    Obviously Ohio State needed to this year. The Big Ten didn't save them.

  15. #45
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    Yeah, I should go burn down South Bend because a football team I like didn't win the National Championship.
    It was a figure of speech. You know what I meant.

Top