North Dakota State 28 James Madison 20 (FCS Championship)

  1. #1
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    North Dakota State 28 James Madison 20 (FCS Championship)

    The Bison extend their winning streak to 37 games and bring home their eighth title in nine years. Ridiculously stupid the machine they are.

    If there was a season to get NDSU, it was this year. They lost a ton off last year’s title team including a three plus year starting QB. Redshirt freshman QB Trey Lance threw for 28 TDs and ZERO interceptions this year en route to winning Freshman of the Year honors and the Walter Payton award which goes to the FCS player of the year.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    For all of the “expand the playoff” crowd, sure is nice seeing all of the parity which exists at the FCS level. *insert sarcastic emoji*

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,880

    Terrible clock management by JMUat the end of the game.

  4. #4
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Terrible clock management by JMUat the end of the game.
    No clue what the hell they were thinking. Granted, with a couple penalties it worked to where they had a shot, but still. Only thing I could think of was they got confused when they decline a penalty thinking it would stop the clock?

  5. #5
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    Honestly, JMU was the better team. NDSU scores three of their TDs in big plays / trickery and held on for dear life the final 30 minutes.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,880

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    No clue what the hell they were thinking. Granted, with a couple penalties it worked to where they had a shot, but still. Only thing I could think of was they got confused when they decline a penalty thinking it would stop the clock?
    They let too many seconds go off when they had timeouts. You never get the time back.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    216

    Have any of you ever coached in a game of that magnitude? I imagine it's moving much quicker on the sidelines than in front of the TV. Still had a shot to tie it up. Two good teams.

  8. #8
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    Quote Originally Posted by 9068 View Post
    Have any of you ever coached in a game of that magnitude? I imagine it's moving much quicker on the sidelines than in front of the TV. Still had a shot to tie it up. Two good teams.
    Yes, probably 100+ times leading my team in the Madden Superbowl. So yeah, I know what it's like to manage the clock in a high stress environment.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    216

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Yes, probably 100+ times leading my team in the Madden Superbowl. So yeah, I know what it's like to manage the clock in a high stress environment.

    That's funny!

  10. #10
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    It was an exciting ending with JMU having no one to blame but themselves. Could/should have had at least 2 more shots at the endzone, without veing so rushed.

  11. #11
    SLINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    Fight On!!!
    Posts
    11,968

    Quote Originally Posted by 9068 View Post
    Have any of you ever coached in a game of that magnitude? I imagine it's moving much quicker on the sidelines than in front of the TV. Still had a shot to tie it up. Two good teams.
    Actually, I have.

  12. #12
    SLINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    Fight On!!!
    Posts
    11,968

    One heck of a game.

  13. #13
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    NDSU is 128-8 since the start of the 2011 season. They have as many national titles as they do losses.

  14. #14
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,454

    Quote Originally Posted by 9068 View Post
    Have any of you ever coached in a game of that magnitude? I imagine it's moving much quicker on the sidelines than in front of the TV. Still had a shot to tie it up. Two good teams.
    I get your point. And I'm not there first to make the following statement, but high level coaching staffs would probably benefit from a clock coach who's only job is to make analytics-based decisions on when to take timeouts, when to milk the clock, etc. There are a million things going through a head coach's mind and eliminating one with someone who's sole focus is the clock would have to help. How many coaches would be willing to give that up, though?

  15. #15
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,513

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I get your point. And I'm not there first to make the following statement, but high level coaching staffs would probably benefit from a clock coach who's only job is to make analytics-based decisions on when to take timeouts, when to milk the clock, etc. There are a million things going through a head coach's mind and eliminating one with someone who's sole focus is the clock would have to help. How many coaches would be willing to give that up, though?
    I believe the NFL has coaches, while not exclusively hired for this, specialize in clock management. They butcher the clock management side as well, but in the NFL clock management is little trickier than college. That said, coaches at a high level are paid to manage against the clock, knowing that tense moments with pressure are part of the gig. Yes, James Madison worked their way down the field to the point they had an easy shot at the endzone, but part of that was because of a late questionable penalty and the reality is they should have had multiple cracks at it.

Top