New NCAA Transfer Policy Coming?

Page 2 of Interesting new tidbit came out of ESPN today as studio host Matt Schick went to Twitter with this: ... 35 comments | 2176 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,965

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    I understand, and I don't have the answer either....but take Alabama in this same scenario. Bama would have to replace that guy because the big boys secret to success is depth. In order to keep the depth that Bama needs or (thinks they need), they have to find a player from somewhere (Middle Tenn st, Toledo, Jacksonville State etc). It's gonna be interesting.
    How does Alabama convince that player from Toledo that he is going to play over the guys in front of him? The reason they would transfer to Bama or one of of the brand name schools is because they want to get to the NFL. But it’s not guaranteed that they would get to showcase their skills at Bama in the first place. It’s a double edge sword for sure. If it does pass it will drastically change college athletics. No doubt about it.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The realest people don’t have a lot of friends.
    Posts
    23,675

    Will coaches be able to still block schools and conferences?

  3. #18
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,286

    It is easy to say let them go where they want to go.

    However, even in the pros, players can't just pick up and go where they want, when they want. They have to fulfill an obligation.

  4. #19
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,826

    One discussion that I read or heard on this, was that there would be a transfer period for each sport...otherwise you'd have a player transferring to FSU to play QB as soon as their QB went down this past year.

    The transfer period would have to be at the end of the current season, I can't see letting them transfer and playing during the same season.

  5. #20
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,734

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    One discussion that I read or heard on this, was that there would be a transfer period for each sport...otherwise you'd have a player transferring to FSU to play QB as soon as their QB went down this past year.

    The transfer period would have to be at the end of the current season, I can't see letting them transfer and playing during the same season.
    I'd be fine with that.

  6. #21
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,329

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    One discussion that I read or heard on this, was that there would be a transfer period for each sport...otherwise you'd have a player transferring to FSU to play QB as soon as their QB went down this past year.

    The transfer period would have to be at the end of the current season, I can't see letting them transfer and playing during the same season.
    Heck why not halftime. If a QB gets frustrated that his receivers keep dropping balls, maybe he can switch sides and see if that is more to his liking. Maybe a kid that doesn't like playing defense can switch schools each series, it be like having an all time QB like we used to out in the street.

  7. #22
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,965

    One thing that was discussed is the grad transfer rule would still be in place. So in theory you could play at 3 different schools during your college career.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    How does Alabama convince that player from Toledo that he is going to play over the guys in front of him? The reason they would transfer to Bama or one of of the brand name schools is because they want to get to the NFL. But it’s not guaranteed that they would get to showcase their skills at Bama in the first place. It’s a double edge sword for sure. If it does pass it will drastically change college athletics. No doubt about it.
    I think the premise is that Big school A would promise the kid an opportunity to play. 'I'm sorry we missed on you in our initial evaluation. We recognize your potential and would like for you to suit up with BIG School A". Most kids in Ohio don't grow up dreaming about playing at Toledo.....sort of a guess. Most kids in Ohio dream about playing for tOSU. It's a difficult situation and I see great points for both sides.

  9. #24
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,826

    I think the biggest impact will be in Basketball, especially if the One and Done goes away.

  10. #25
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    4,047

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    It is easy to say let them go where they want to go.

    However, even in the pros, players can't just pick up and go where they want, when they want. They have to fulfill an obligation.
    They're not athletes. They're student-athletes. The NCAA has made that clear as mud.

    Scholarships are one year obligations. When that year is up they HAVE to sign up for another year?

  11. #26
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    4,047

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    One thing that was discussed is the grad transfer rule would still be in place. So in theory you could play at 3 different schools during your college career.
    And why not?

    Given the opportunity to choose any school in the country, I'm playing two years at an "east coast" school, two in the west, and one in the Big 12 to end Bill Self's career. Blow up the Twitterverse nationally, and be the subject of a fatal drinking game on First Take ( Tebow-Free First Take )

    Of course, as a 23 year-old, my stock probably falls, but if I test well with the fans in a particular region, front offices, or at least the people who make the front offices look good, notice that. Now, not only am I valuable on the court, but the press division loves me, and I'm too profitable not to go first round.

  12. #27
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,286

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    They're not athletes. They're student-athletes. The NCAA has made that clear as mud.

    Scholarships are one year obligations. When that year is up they HAVE to sign up for another year?
    I know exactly how scholarships work.

    I think an individual should be able to switch if they end up somewhere and find out it is not the place for them.

    I would be fine with a one time, no sitting out, transfer. Do like someone else mentioned, have a 2 week transfer period.

    In football, I could see it helping some of the non power 5 schools. The 4th RB on the depth chart at Bama, OSU, FSU, etc could go to UC, FSU, FAU, and get an opportunity to prove himself without being penalized.

    In basketball, I think it would kill the small schools. The big boys could cherry pick the best players off of their teams.

  13. #28
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    4,047

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    I know exactly how scholarships work.

    I think an individual should be able to switch if they end up somewhere and find out it is not the place for them.

    I would be fine with a one time, no sitting out, transfer. Do like someone else mentioned, have a 2 week transfer period.

    In football, I could see it helping some of the non power 5 schools. The 4th RB on the depth chart at Bama, OSU, FSU, etc could go to UC, FSU, FAU, and get an opportunity to prove himself without being penalized.

    In Basketball, I think it would kill the small schools. The big boys could cherry pick the best players off of their teams.
    Why should a student-athlete give two hoots about the ramifications for the university?

    Also, regarding the bold, that's what's proposed in the OP, plus a graduate year transfer to reward your dedication to the college experience.

  14. #29
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,286

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    Why should a student-athlete give two hoots about the ramifications for the university?

    Also, regarding the bold, that's what's proposed in the OP, plus a graduate year transfer to reward your dedication to the college experience.
    Once again, you're not telling me something I don't already know.

    I was simply stating that I agree with it.

  15. #30
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,965

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    I think the premise is that Big school A would promise the kid an opportunity to play. 'I'm sorry we missed on you in our initial evaluation. We recognize your potential and would like for you to suit up with BIG School A". Most kids in Ohio don't grow up dreaming about playing at Toledo.....sort of a guess. Most kids in Ohio dream about playing for tOSU. It's a difficult situation and I see great points for both sides.
    I don’t think its significantly more one way or the other. There would be kids transferring in and out for both reasons.

Top