Kyler Murray Wins 2018 Heisman Trophy

Page 2 of Congrats to Kyler!... 51 comments | 1609 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,526

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    You and Dognation2 may well be onto something, but the irony is, since 2000, Oklahoma now has 4 Heisman winners, and Alabama only has 2 (and one of those with the 2nd lowest percentage of possible points during that span).
    OU's offense is very well suited to produce Heisman contenders (and winners). High octane offense versus sub-par defenses.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,200

    Tua stats against the 3 best defenses he played (LSU, Miss St, Georgia)
    - 207 yds/ game
    - 55.4 completion %
    - 4 TD/ 4 INT
    - 4 Total rushing yards
    - 1 Rushing TD

    It’s really not that difficult to figure out. Yes Tua wasn’t 100% in these games, but you can’t delegitimize what Kyler did simply because Tua wasn’t 100% healthy. Would Tua’s numbers have been better in those games if he was 100%, probably. But we can’t just project what Tua’s numbers would have been if he was healthy.

  3. #18
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,200

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    The two redzone picks and one dropped had something to do with it in a championship game, where the backup bailed him out?
    I think it’s safe to say. I researched what Tua’s stats were against the best defenses he played below. Looking at those numbers it’s pretty clear why Kyler won.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    603

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Seems like a very humble kid. Good for him. Tua appeared to be genuinely happy for him...Haskins..not so much.
    Is he supposed to be?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Tua stats against the 3 best defenses he played (LSU, Miss St, Georgia)
    - 207 yds/ game
    - 55.4 completion %
    - 4 TD/ 4 INT
    - 4 Total rushing yards
    - 1 Rushing TD

    It’s really not that difficult to figure out. Yes Tua wasn’t 100% in these games, but you can’t delegitimize what Kyler did simply because Tua wasn’t 100% healthy. Would Tua’s numbers have been better in those games if he was 100%, probably. But we can’t just project what Tua’s numbers would have been if he was healthy.
    Yet his stats against top 50 defenses in the country go something like this:

    - 300+ yds/ game
    - 66 completion %
    - 17 TD/ 4 INT
    - 4 Total rushing yards

    people can spin stats to aid their viewpoint always. The fact is accurate: he didn't play well but his competition on this night compared to Kyler and Haskins wasn't close. Kyler played against a 3 loss team; and Haskins played against a team that loss to Akron.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    OU's offense is very well suited to produce Heisman contenders (and winners). High octane offense versus sub-par defenses.
    Please say this louder for the people in the back.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    You and Dognation2 may well be onto something, but the irony is, since 2000, Oklahoma now has 4 Heisman winners, and Alabama only has 2 (and one of those with the 2nd lowest percentage of possible points during that span).
    Not so much Heisman fatigue; just Bama fatigue all together. You are spot on about Ok's Heisman success. it seems like just plug and play. If you marry that with a conference that cares nothing about defense....well you get these numbers. Hard to argue against it though; stats don't lie and Kyler's stats are great.

  8. #23
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,526

    Honest question, how many 4th Quarters did Kyler sit out?

  9. #24
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,200

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    Yet his stats against top 50 defenses in the country go something like this:

    - 300+ yds/ game
    - 66 completion %
    - 17 TD/ 4 INT
    - 4 Total rushing yards

    people can spin stats to aid their viewpoint always. The fact is accurate: he didn't play well but his competition on this night compared to Kyler and Haskins wasn't close. Kyler played against a 3 loss team; and Haskins played against a team that loss to Akron.
    Haskins stats against top 50 defenses is better and I’m not sitting here telling everyone Haskins should have won. I just don’t think it’s right nor fair to Kyler to say he just played against bad defenses and if he played against the defenses Tua did his stats would be bad too. Then you say the OU system lends itself to beating up on bad defenses, but just completely ignore the fact that the same system led by Baker last year torched a great Georgia defense.

    Haskins and Tua both played 3 games against top 30 defenses. Tua’s are the 3 games I already cited.

    Haskins:
    333 yds per game
    10 TD 0 INT
    63 completion %
    31 rushing yards
    1 rushing TD

    Yet as big of an OSU guy as I am, I’m telling you the right guy won the trophy. Kyler did not play a bad game all year. Would he have played a bad game against Georgia like Tua did? We have no way of knowing the answer to that question and I refuse to delegitimize what Kyler did because he did everything he was asked too.

  10. #25
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,526

    Found the stats.

    Kyler in the 4th Quarter:
    33/45
    445 yard
    6 TD
    24 rushing attempts
    253 yards
    3 TD

    Tua in the 4th quarter:
    4/8
    69 yards
    1 TD
    No Rushing Attempts

  11. #26
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,200

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Honest question, how many 4th Quarters did Kyler sit out?
    So Kyler doesn’t deserve the award because his defense sucks?

  12. #27
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,526

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    So Kyler doesn’t deserve the award because his defense sucks?
    Who said he didn't deserve it?

  13. #28
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,274

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    Is he supposed to be?
    Sensitive?

  14. #29
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,200

    The Heisman Trophy should not be given out based on projections:
    - Tua’s injury
    - Tua not playing a lot of 4th quarters

    Maybe if Tua plays in those 4th quarters he throws more interceptions. Did Tua’s injury cause him to throw 2 ints against Georgia or to be held under 200 yards against Miss State? You all are confusing correlation and causation. Tua playing bad against Georgia and his injury are correlated but it’s impossible to prove causation.

  15. #30
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,890

    S
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I think it’s safe to say. I researched what Tua’s stats were against the best defenses he played below. Looking at those numbers it’s pretty clear why Kyler won.
    The SEC homers aren’t holding his 15.1 QBR rating against him vs. Georgia.

Top