Kelly Bryant not getting a NC ring

  1. #1
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,655

    Kelly Bryant not getting a NC ring

    Thoughts?

    Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant's No Ring: 'Gotta Be on the Team to Get a Ring'

    "Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said Wednesday that the reason former quarterback Kelly Bryant didn't get a national championship ring was because he was no longer part of the Tigers team."

    Kelly started the first four games of the season, and the Tigers went undefeated during that time. You can say what you want about how Trevor Lawrence would've done the same thing, and maybe they would've won by even more. But, what you can't say...with 100% certainty...is that there wouldn't have been a chance that Lawrence couldn't have gotten injured in any of those four games, and maybe not have been able to play in the NC game in the first place, let alone win it. You just can't do it. The only thing that is 100% certain, is what actually happened. And for that, I think Dabo is being petty here.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,182

    Kelly Bryant quit the team after 4 games, right?

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,567

    He wasn’t on the team for more than half the year. He shouldn’t get a ring.

  4. #4
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,182

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    He wasn’t on the team for more than half the year. He shouldn’t get a ring.
    Not only was he only with the team basically 1/4th of the year, he quit the team. When he quit the team, he gave up any claim to team success and awards. I'm absolutely with Dabo.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,595

    I wouldn’t want a ring if I weren’t a member of the team....

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,300

    Bet Kelly wouldn't want to memorialize his desertion of teammates in the trenches with a token ring. Just curious as to why this whole thing became public. Dabo making the right decision on the ring, but unable to keep that decision private? Not what I would have expected from normally a classy guy.

  7. #7
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,722

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Bet Kelly wouldn't want to memorialize his desertion of teammates in the trenches with a token ring. Just curious as to why this whole thing became public. Dabo making the right decision on the ring, but unable to keep that decision private? Not what I would have expected from normally a classy guy.
    Who's to say Dabo made it public, I think he was asked point blank about it. If so reporter already knew about it and was trying to get his response.

  8. #8
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,184

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Not only was he only with the team basically 1/4th of the year, he quit the team. When he quit the team, he gave up any claim to team success and awards. I'm absolutely with Dabo.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,300

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Who's to say Dabo made it public, I think he was asked point blank about it. If so reporter already knew about it and was trying to get his response.
    I thought the reporter was fishing and Dabo jumped on the hook. College coaches are usually trained in managing/dodging the media's awkward questions.

  10. #10
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,722

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    I thought the reporter was fishing and Dabo jumped on the hook. College coaches are usually trained in managing/dodging the media's awkward questions.
    I think answering is better than lying about it once he was asked. Telling the truth IS the classy move in my opinion, much better than trying to cover it up or lying which seems to be the norm now days.

  11. #11
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,224

    Dabo comes off as extremely petty in this situation. I could care less about Bryant getting a ring. Slowly but surely though Dabos schtick is going to wear thin on people. The Clemson hate is going to start happening and it will be interesting to see how Dabos character changes once Clemson goes from being that lovable program that is knocking off Bama to being the top dog that everyone tries to bring down.

  12. #12
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,722

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Dabo comes off as extremely petty in this situation. I could care less about Bryant getting a ring. Slowly but surely though Dabos schtick is going to wear thin on people. The Clemson hate is going to start happening and it will be interesting to see how Dabos character changes once Clemson goes from being that lovable program that is knocking off Bama to being the top dog that everyone tries to bring down.
    What do you think is his schtick?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,787

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    What do you think is his schtick?
    The guy is pure schtick. He speaks mostly in cliches and religious parables and people eat it up. He's done a fabulous job at Clemson, and he's a obviously a great coach and recruiter. I just don't find him to be genuine.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,300

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I think answering is better than lying about it once he was asked. Telling the truth IS the classy move in my opinion, much better than trying to cover it up or lying which seems to be the norm now days.
    Not lying to simply say that is a private matter, not for public consumption.

  15. #15
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,722

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    The guy is pure schtick. He speaks mostly in cliches and religious parables and people eat it up. He's done a fabulous job at Clemson, and he's a obviously a great coach and recruiter. I just don't find him to be genuine.
    So you don't think that's who he is. All coaches speak in cliches to some extent. I've read or seen enough stories about him away from just what he does as a coach I think he is pretty genuine.

    I think most that don't like him probably root for teams he's beaten. I have no love for Clemson at all, but I think he sincerely is a good dude.

Top