Herm Edwards to Arizona State

  1. #1
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    I've just pushed some people and run away
    Posts
    20,034

    Herm Edwards to Arizona State

    Pending approval by ASU president
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    tark the shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Maryland Parkway at the In-N-Out Burger
    Posts
    1,245

    I like Herm, but it will not work. He better surround himself around young hungry assistants to recruit.

  3. #3
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    I think it's a great hire. But I think Kevin Sumlin would have been my first choice.

  4. #4
    2-3-Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    1,802

    I like Herm, I hope does well in Tempe.

    But like mentioned above, the recruiting part is a whole new game for him.

  5. #5
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    Quote Originally Posted by 2-3-Zone View Post
    I like Herm, I hope does well in Tempe.

    But like mentioned above, the recruiting part is a whole new game for him.
    Recruiting will be different for sure. But Tempe is an easy place to recruit to and Herm has an advantage over other coaches who dropped down to the college level after a hiatus from the NFL in that people know him from TV as much as they do from coaching. Recruits know who he is already so he's not at the disadvantage that most coaches would be in his situation.

  6. #6
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,297

    I guess it's a plus when your agents are the AD and associate AD at a university.

    This will be such a disaster.

  7. #7
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,385

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    But Tempe is an easy place to recruit to...
    Is there any proof of this? The idea of playing football and going to school in Arizona may seem appealing but they rarely recruit well and they don't send a ton of kids to the NFL. I'm not sure how an TV analyst that hasn't coached college football since 1989 is going to be able to improve that.

  8. #8
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Is there any proof of this? The idea of playing football and going to school in Arizona may seem appealing but they rarely recruit well and they don't send a ton of kids to the NFL. I'm not sure how an TV analyst that hasn't coached college football since 1989 is going to be able to improve that.
    Have you been to Tempe? Anyone that has understands why people say it's an easy place to recruit to.

  9. #9
    Mediocre Nachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    1,202

    I think Herm could convince any parent to let their son play for him. I think he could be a decent NCAA coach. I'm not so sure he'll have sustained success though. @tark the shark said it best: he'll need relentless recruiters to convince kids to come.

  10. #10
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Nachos View Post
    I think Herm could convince any parent to let their son play for him. I think he could be a decent NCAA coach. I'm not so sure he'll have sustained success though. @tark the shark said it best: he'll need relentless recruiters to convince kids to come.
    If Herm builds it, they will come.

  11. #11
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    If I was in the position to be recruited as a college football player I would obviously end up at OSU. But I would definitely take one of my officials to ASU. The scenery alone is enough to get a guy to campus and I'm not talking about the mountains...

  12. #12
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,006

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    If I was in the position to be recruited as a college football player I would obviously end up at OSU. But I would definitely take one of my officials to ASU. The scenery alone is enough to get a guy to campus and I'm not talking about the mountains...
    Yes you are.

  13. #13
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Yes you are.
    Yeah I'm talking about those mountains.

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,297

    Herm was an average NFL coach. He hasn't been involved in the college game for almost 30 years. Why do we think this is a good hire?

  15. #15
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,554

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Herm was an average NFL coach. He hasn't been involved in the college game for almost 30 years. Why do we think this is a good hire?
    Because Herm has reinvented himself while at ESPN and he has turned into a likable guy and people want to see him succeed. We are generally more positive about the chances of people we like.

Top