Gunnar Hoak Transferring

  1. #1
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,602

    Gunnar Hoak Transferring

    UK back QB Gunnar Hoak who has two years left, has put his name in the NCAA transfer portal.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Could be a huge help to Ohio States depth at the QB spot.

  3. #3
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Could be a huge help to Ohio States depth at the QB spot.
    Why would he transfer to sit his last two years behind Fields? No way you transfer to a school that you have no shot at starting.

  4. #4
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Why would he transfer to sit his last two years behind Fields? No way you transfer to a school that you have no shot at starting.
    He may not be transferring to start. His HS was 20 minutes from Ohio State. Ohio State already has one grad transfer from a power 5 school on the roster who came simply to be a backup. Ever since the Baldwin transfer news, there has been smoke about a Hoak transfer to OSU. Not saying it’s going to happen, but would he rather be a backup in a Ryan Day system where he’s one play away from getting an opportunity or would he rather stay in Lexington and play for Eddie Gran. Pretty easy choice.

  5. #5
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    He may not be transferring to start. His HS was 20 minutes from Ohio State. Ohio State already has one grad transfer from a power 5 school on the roster who came simply to be a backup. Ever since the Baldwin transfer news, there has been smoke about a Hoak transfer to OSU. Not saying it’s going to happen, but would he rather be a backup in a Ryan Day system where he’s one play away from getting an opportunity or would he rather stay in Lexington and play for Eddie Gran. Pretty easy choice.
    He's also 1 play away from starting in a system that he already knows and has been in for two years. I have to question his drive if he's just transferring to ride the pine. If he's leaving to realistically compete for the job then by all means, go...I fully understand.

  6. #6
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    He's also 1 play away from starting in a system that he already knows and has been in for two years. I have to question his drive if he's just transferring to ride the pine. If he's leaving to realistically compete for the job then by all means, go...I fully understand.
    So a kid wanting to come home, play for his favorite school growing up, playing for the school his dad, uncle, and cousin all played for is somehow a knock against his drive and willingness to compete? Spare me.

  7. #7
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Did OSU recruit him initially?

  8. #8
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    So a kid wanting to come home, play for his favorite school growing up, playing for the school his dad, uncle, and cousin all played for is somehow a knock against his drive and willingness to compete? Spare me.
    No, not at all. I had read he was leaving because he wanted to play. Pretty disingenuous to say that and then go sit at OSU. Should have said what you did, as a reason he was leaving.

  9. #9
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    No, not at all. I had read he was leaving because he wanted to play. Pretty disingenuous to say that and then go sit at OSU. Should have said what you did, as a reason he was leaving.
    Quote directly from Gunnar Hoak. “After much thought and consideration, I have decided to put my name in the NCAA transfer portal. With graduation coming up next week, I knew I had an important decision to make for my future including my football and academic careers. I would like to thank Coach Stoops and the UK staff for understanding that I need to see if there are any other options for me at this time in my career.”

  10. #10
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Did OSU recruit him initially?
    In the same class with Haskins. OSU got an early commit from Tristen Wallace who played QB in HS but ended up flipping his commitment to Oregon to play receiver. When Wallace decommitted Ohio State flipped Haskins from Maryland. So OSU did their due diligence on Hoak since he’s right down the road, but he isn’t really the type of QB that fit an Urban Meyer system and this was pre-Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson who like more pro style guys.

  11. #11
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    If he wants to play, OSU is not the place for him. Regardless of who played there before him.

  12. #12
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,845

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    So a kid wanting to come home, play for his favorite school growing up, playing for the school his dad, uncle, and cousin all played for is somehow a knock against his drive and willingness to compete? Spare me.
    The family part is the X factor, not many realize the Buckeye ties and the chance to wear the jersey 15 mins away from his parents.

    If he wants to play though, he should look elsewhere.

  13. #13
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,845

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    In the same class with Haskins. OSU got an early commit from Tristen Wallace who played QB in HS but ended up flipping his commitment to Oregon to play receiver. When Wallace decommitted Ohio State flipped Haskins from Maryland. So OSU did their due diligence on Hoak since he’s right down the road, but he isn’t really the type of QB that fit an Urban Meyer system and this was pre-Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson who like more pro style guys.
    If Meyer is still the coach, his family wouldn’t even take the call.

  14. #14
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,149

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    If Meyer is still the coach, his family wouldn’t even take the call.
    You would know more about the dynamics of that relationship than I would.

  15. #15
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,985

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    The family part is the X factor, not many realize the Buckeye ties and the chance to wear the jersey 15 mins away from his parents.

    If he wants to play though, he should look elsewhere.
    This.

    A transfer to OSU by Hoak is a statement that he knows his football career is done and he is looking ahead to a career after college (not a football career). I can see going home and wearing the hometown college jersey if he feels he isn't going to go somewhere and start.

Top