Florida Atlantic 50 Akron 3

  1. #1
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    The Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,675

    Florida Atlantic 50 Akron 3

    Once again, L. Kiffin imo shows how really immature he is. After scoring a touchdown to go up 34-0, Kiffin goes for and gets a 2pt. conversion. I realize that it's ncaa and not high school football but at best, that's a classless move by Kiffin. T.V. commentators said ...."that's not surprising, that's Layne Kiffin. Kiffin wanted to score 50 to impress recruits". The commentator (can't remember who it was) went on to say that Kiffin sells the "you can come here and play, hang 50 on everyone" type spin to recruits.
    Others may disagree with me and that's fine, they're are different views on running the score up. I can see teams doing this to try and impress the voters on bowls, playoffs, etc.. FAU was playing Akron ... not hardly a major ncaa football power 5 conference school, in a bowl game that as far as impressing anyone meant absolutely Zero. Kiffin ran it up to feed his own personal ego and maybe to impress any other AD at a better school he's looking to fly from FAU at the first decent job offer. JMO
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,560

    If the sports fan world spent half as much time being productive (toward any cause) as they do fretting about whether teams should or shouldn't go for two the world would be a much better place.

  3. #3
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    The Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,675

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    If the sports fan world spent half as much time being productive (toward any cause) as they do fretting about whether teams should or shouldn't go for two the world would be a much better place.
    Wow, I just thought that going for 2 when already up by five td's was useless. I didn't consider that not going for, or going for a 2pt conversion for that matter at that game stage might achieve world peace .....

  4. #4
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,560

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    Wow, I just thought that going for 2 when already up by five td's was useless. I didn't consider that not going for, or going for a 2pt conversion for that matter at that game stage might achieve world peace .....


    Not you OR, but there was a BGP thread a few weeks back about going for two to start the running clock in high school games. People just seem to get disproportionately worked up about two point conversions. I don't get it!

  5. #5
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    47,244

    FWIW I want to see unconventional play in these games...refusing to punt, going for 2, on side kicks when you shouldn't...whatever it is I want to be entertained by these non playoff bowl games.

  6. #6
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    The Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,675

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post


    Not you OR, but there was a BGP thread a few weeks back about going for two to start the running clock in high school games. People just seem to get disproportionately worked up about two point conversions. I don't get it!
    It's good , I was just joking around. As for the high school thread, I missed that one.

  7. #7
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    2,030

    A 50-3 win when what could be a 49-3 win. I don't see this as "running up the score."

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,549

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    Once again, L. Kiffin imo shows how really immature he is. After scoring a touchdown to go up 34-0, Kiffin goes for and gets a 2pt. conversion. I realize that it's ncaa and not high school football but at best, that's a classless move by Kiffin. T.V. commentators said ...."that's not surprising, that's Layne Kiffin. Kiffin wanted to score 50 to impress recruits". The commentator (can't remember who it was) went on to say that Kiffin sells the "you can come here and play, hang 50 on everyone" type spin to recruits.
    Others may disagree with me and that's fine, they're are different views on running the score up. I can see teams doing this to try and impress the voters on bowls, playoffs, etc.. FAU was playing Akron ... not hardly a major ncaa football power 5 conference school, in a bowl game that as far as impressing anyone meant absolutely Zero. Kiffin ran it up to feed his own personal ego and maybe to impress any other AD at a better school he's looking to fly from FAU at the first decent job offer. JMO
    All those things said is definitely worth it not only for him but the program. If going that gets him even one more recruit to come there, then it was worth it. His job is to put together the best possible football team together that he can. His job is to get people talking about FAU. His job is not to worry about what someone may think about him adding one more point to a final score.

    Is he going to eventually leave there? No doubt. Does FAU also know that? Definitely! However all his tweets, talking, scoring gets people talking about FAU. All this gets them noticed. All this gets them to possibly be a top 25 team by next year. So what he is doing is best for both the school and him, and I have zero problem with that.

  9. #9
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    The Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,675

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    All those things said is definitely worth it not only for him but the program. If going that gets him even one more recruit to come there, then it was worth it. His job is to put together the best possible football team together that he can. His job is to get people talking about FAU. His job is not to worry about what someone may think about him adding one more point to a final score.

    Is he going to eventually leave there? No doubt. Does FAU also know that? Definitely! However all his tweets, talking, scoring gets people talking about FAU. All this gets them noticed. All this gets them to possibly be a top 25 team by next year. So what he is doing is best for both the school and him, and I have zero problem with that.
    That's fair, and understandable. I guess that if I am a h.s. senior with the talent to play at that level then I sure wouldn't be deciding on the fact of how many points that my possible future coach could hang on an obvious less talented and over matched in every phase football team. Should I be the parent of a kid in that scenario ...if that was the only offer would be the only way that I would approve of him signing with a coach that's possibly more immature than my son, lol. Should that son have other offers then I would try to convince him to take another offer ...unless my son was dead set on gong to Kiffin's school, in which I would send him there with my "go get em' son" and support him while hoping that I was wrong.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    407

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    That's fair, and understandable. I guess that if I am a h.s. senior with the talent to play at that level then I sure wouldn't be deciding on the fact of how many points that my possible future coach could hang on an obvious less talented and over matched in every phase football team. Should I be the parent of a kid in that scenario ...if that was the only offer would be the only way that I would approve of him signing with a coach that's possibly more immature than my son, lol. Should that son have other offers then I would try to convince him to take another offer ...unless my son was dead set on gong to Kiffin's school, in which I would send him there with my "go get em' son" and support him while hoping that I was wrong.
    I totally agree. I didn't worry about that kind of stuff until I had one who is about to travel down that road and he may get looks from coaches such as this.

  11. #11
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    8,850

    But Kiffin also had his team actually throw the ball on the last play of the game. He needs to grow up and respect the game more than that. Classless jerk.

Top