1. #1
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691

    Default Eastern Kentucky runs crazy "Punt Screen Pass" vs Morehead State

    Last night in the Eastern Kentucky 52-24 win over Morehead State the Colonels ran a play that I had never seen before. Jordan Berry, the EKU punter, took the snap and kicked a rugby style kick to EKU gunner Trey Thomas. Since Thomas was behind the line of scrimmage he was allowed to advance the ball--which he did for a first down. My son is the long snapper and he says that they've practiced this over the two seasons that he's been there but never tried it in a game before last night. Pretty slick play, I'd like to see it on ESPN.


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Last night in the Eastern Kentucky 52-24 win over Morehead State the Colonels ran a play that I had never seen before. Jordan Berry, the EKU punter, took the snap and kicked a rugby style kick to EKU gunner Trey Thomas. Since Thomas was behind the line of scrimmage he was allowed to advance the ball--which he did for a first down. My son is the long snapper and he says that they've practiced this over the two seasons that he's been there but never tried it in a game before last night. Pretty slick play, I'd like to see it on ESPN.

    Should have been a penalty because he caught the kick beyond the line of scrimmage and the timing of this play maybe wasn't the best either IMO...

  3. #3
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by nikeman49 View Post
    Should have been a penalty because he caught the kick beyond the line of scrimmage and the timing of this play maybe wasn't the best either IMO...
    You are wrong on 2 counts. First, it WOULD NOT have been a penalty if he caught it past the line of scrimmage. The kicking team can catch a punt past the line of scrimmage any time--but the ball is dead and they do not get possession. Second, the ball was not caught past the line of scrimmage. Stop the film at the 11 second mark. The receiver jumps to catch the ball. When he first touches the ball he touches it inside of the 40 (the down marker is right on the 40). His momentum then carries him outside of the 40--but even then it looks like the ball is inside of the 40. Regardless, it doesn't matter where he lands, only where he first touches the ball. As for the timing of the play, well I really don't care if you and the Eagles got your feelings hurt. I didn't see your coach give up throwing the ball on every down. He was still trying to score, he shouldn't care if the Colonels do likewise. Besides, it wasn't done to try and run up the score. The Colonels are playing Eastern Illinois next week. EIU is favored to win the OVC and will be extremely tough to beat, especially at home. By running a couple of fakes in situations where it probably wouldn't have cost EKU the game if they failed they gave Eastern Illinois something to have to prepare for instead of going for the block or setting up returns.

  4. #4
    Guide Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Just call me Nicky Flash... Why? Because Nicky rhymes with Flash!
    Posts
    16,895
    Ball was snapped from inside the 40, that's where the center had the ball pre-snap. Receiver definitely lands past the LOS (Both feet on the 40) or at least the spot of the ball at the snap. That said, Joe you are 100% correct it does appear that he first touched the ball on or slightly behind where the ball was snapped.

    Great Play and I'm guessing most teams/coaches aren't aware that is even legal.

    Great Job Colonels!!!.
    AverageJoesGym likes this.

  5. #5
    Guide Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Just call me Nicky Flash... Why? Because Nicky rhymes with Flash!
    Posts
    16,895
    That said, he was wide open, might have been easier to have thrown it to him...

  6. #6
    Guide Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Just call me Nicky Flash... Why? Because Nicky rhymes with Flash!
    Posts
    16,895
    What in the world was Morehead thinking putting one DB out there on two WR's?

  7. #7
    Premium Member Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac, yeah the boy's a timebomb!
    Posts
    35,381
    First, I had no idea a team could do this. Second, I'm not a big fan of the timing of the play but whatever.

  8. #8
    Premium Member TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Greatest College Sports Town in America
    Posts
    28,165
    Keep the game close, and other teams won't try to "work out the kinks" against you. That's how I see it. And I was on the wrong end of many beat downs in high school.
    Pi likes this.

  9. #9
    Guide Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Just call me Nicky Flash... Why? Because Nicky rhymes with Flash!
    Posts
    16,895
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Keep the game close, and other teams won't try to "work out the kinks" against you. That's how I see it. And I was on the wrong end of many beat downs in high school.
    Yeah I agree, if your EKU being up late like that is the time to work on stuff like this.
    TheDeuce likes this.

  10. #10
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Democracy is so overrated #teamRandy
    Posts
    45,744
    It was an 18 point game with 5 minutes left. Realistically there still time for Morehead to make it a game. Especially had they stopped the fake punt.

  11. #11
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    That said, he was wide open, might have been easier to have thrown it to him...
    Jordan said he is more accurate kicking than throwing lol...
    TheDeuce likes this.

  12. #12
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    First, I had no idea a team could do this. Second, I'm not a big fan of the timing of the play but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    It was an 18 point game with 5 minutes left. Realistically there still time for Morehead to make it a game. Especially had they stopped the fake punt.
    Especially since MSU still had their offensive starters in the game and were throwing it every down. If they wanted EKU to back off they could have subbed and ran the ball.
    Pi likes this.

  13. #13
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    17,553
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Jordan said he is more accurate kicking than throwing lol...
    Maybe, but I doubt it on a pass that short. I can think of no reason to pooch kick the ball versus passing it on that play.

  14. #14
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Maybe, but I doubt it on a pass that short. I can think of no reason to pooch kick the ball versus passing it on that play.
    Except that when the defense saw him kick the ball they didn't react to the receiver until it was too late...They didn't know what was going on either. If he'd have drawn back to throw they would have been after the receiver much quicker.

    Also, as long as the ball was touched behind the line of scrimmage the receiver could still have picked it up and ran with it instead of it being an incomplete pass. Or, if he'd have over shot the receiver the ball would have went at least a little bit down field so MSU would not have gotten it at the original line of scrimmage. And, if he saw the receiver covered he had the option to kick it on a line downfield.

  15. #15
    Premium Member Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac, yeah the boy's a timebomb!
    Posts
    35,381
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Especially since MSU still had their offensive starters in the game and were throwing it every down. If they wanted EKU to back off they could have subbed and ran the ball.
    Did EKU have their walk-ons in the game?

  16. #16
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    17,553
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Except that when the defense saw him kick the ball they didn't react to the receiver until it was too late...They didn't know what was going on either. If he'd have drawn back to throw they would have been after the receiver much quicker.

    Also, as long as the ball was touched behind the line of scrimmage the receiver could still have picked it up and ran with it instead of it being an incomplete pass. Or, if he'd have over shot the receiver the ball would have went at least a little bit down field so MSU would not have gotten it at the original line of scrimmage. And, if he saw the receiver covered he had the option to kick it on a line downfield.
    Disagree. In fact, the kick was inaccurate enough (receiver had to jump for it then bobbled the ball trying to make the catch) that it almost cost them the first down because it gave MSU time to catch up to the receiver.

  17. #17
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Did EKU have their walk-ons in the game?
    They had their second team offense in the game on the last 2 touchdowns. MSU had their starters in, why would EKU have their walk-ons in?
    TheDeuce likes this.

  18. #18
    Premium Member AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    12,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Disagree. In fact, the kick was inaccurate enough (receiver had to jump for it then bobbled the ball trying to make the catch) that it almost cost them the first down because it gave MSU time to catch up to the receiver.
    If you've ever seen Jordan throw you would see that he's not very good at it, and like I said he had the option to do a line drive rugby kick if the play wasn't there. He wouldn't have had that option if he'd been trying to throw.

  19. #19
    Premium Member Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac, yeah the boy's a timebomb!
    Posts
    35,381
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    They had their second team offense in the game on the last 2 touchdowns. MSU had their starters in, why would EKU have their walk-ons in?
    Their second team offense is still made up of scholarship players though right? Morehead State's entire roster is non-scholarship players. It's amazing that this game was 21-17 in the 3rd quarter. In hindsight, I'd probably try to make the score look better too if I'd had such a struggle.

    It is what it is...non-scholarship football teams are essentially like D3 teams.

  20. #20
    Premium Member plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Their second team offense is still made up of scholarship players though right? Morehead State's entire roster is non-scholarship players. It's amazing that this game was 21-17 in the 3rd quarter. In hindsight, I'd probably try to make the score look better too if I'd had such a struggle.

    It is what it is...non-scholarship football teams are essentially like D3 teams.
    Whos fault is that? Why doesnt MSU offer scholarships?