1. #1
    Premium Member The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Somewhere between Possum Trot and Black Gnat
    Posts
    29,731

    Default Cruel recruiting joke that crosses the line of being criminal

    When offensive lineman Kevin Hart of Fernley, Nev., announced his commitment to California last Friday, he did so in front of a packed school gymnasium. Two local TV stations showed up to film the event as he prepared to become the first Fernley athlete to receive a full scholarship to a Division I school directly out of high school.

    "They really sold me," Hart said. "Coach [Jeff] Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me the real personal experience.

    But it appears that Hart was the victim of a prank. Somebody, it appears, has been impersonating Tedford. There never was a scholarship offer let alone any official contact from the Golden Bears.


    LINK


  2. #2
    Registered User rockcastleraiders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    Rockcastle
    Posts
    2,898
    Very cruel and downright disgusting.

  3. #3
    Premium Member LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The Brain Sucker
    Posts
    50,392
    What a story. I hope the young man can meet the person responsible for this face to face, and work it out that way. :fight:

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky.
    Posts
    1,483
    Wow. I'm curious to see if the other schools listed were actually recruiting him as well. If he was duped, as they suspect, I really feel for this young man.

  5. #5
    Premium Member The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Somewhere between Possum Trot and Black Gnat
    Posts
    29,731
    Quote Originally Posted by pnthr4life View Post
    Wow. I'm curious to see if the other schools listed were actually recruiting him as well. If he was duped, as they suspect, I really feel for this young man.
    Oregon was another so-called finalist for Hart, and somebody appears to have been impersonating an Oregon representative as well. An official from Oregon confirmed Hart was not being recruited. The validity of Hart's other finalists Nevada, Illinois and Oklahoma State remain in question

    LINK

  6. #6
    Registered User rockcastleraiders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    Rockcastle
    Posts
    2,898
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    Oregon was another so-called finalist for Hart, and somebody appears to have been impersonating an Oregon representative as well. An official from Oregon confirmed Hart was not being recruited. The validity of Hart's other finalists Nevada, Illinois and Oklahoma State remain in question

    LINK
    Very cold. Is the guy capable of getting a scholarship ANYWHERE. Is this a case in which the guy was a waterboy/manager or was he REALLY good as a player? I don't mean that to sound cold but is the Oregon scholarship thing something that ACTUALLY could be realistic for the kid.

  7. #7
    Registered User stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321
    The cruel part isn't the joke, it's when the NCAA makes him sit out a year if he does try to play somewhere else...

    Seriously, one of the cruelest things ever...

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky.
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    Oregon was another so-called finalist for Hart, and somebody appears to have been impersonating an Oregon representative as well. An official from Oregon confirmed Hart was not being recruited. The validity of Hart's other finalists Nevada, Illinois and Oklahoma State remain in question

    LINK
    I knew about Oregon. I was referring to the other 3 listed in the article. I'd like to hear what they have to say about it.

  9. #9
    Suspended pigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    3,112
    It's cruel, but like has already been said what's up with his high school coach. Heck EJ had at least three of the UK coaches make in school visits during his recruitment. Seems strange no one ever saw this guy in person.

  10. #10
    Premium Member HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    The land of cotton
    Posts
    5,224
    thats so sad.....

  11. #11
    Registered User hardball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 02
    Location
    They're building fine young men at Louisville, aren't they? Sleep late, and we'll wake you up. Break our rules, and we'll still let you play. Come to Louisville, where kids will be kids and the adults will look the other way -- Gregg Doyel on UL.
    Posts
    1,404
    "Dude..."

  12. #12
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    #L1C4, #Trinity Forever
    Posts
    41,355
    6'5" 290....looked solid in the photo.....offer him up Coach K, it's just one scholly, and it could be very worth it, in the long run.

  13. #13
    Premium Member 00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    KCCO
    Posts
    18,204
    He definately looks the part, thats for sure, I'm sure some school will come in and offer this kid, based off this story alone

  14. #14
    Registered User JBCousins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride View Post
    6'5" 290....looked solid in the photo.....offer him up Coach K, it's just one scholly, and it could be very worth it, in the long run.
    Agree. That would be a great move by Tedford, too.

  15. #15
    Registered User JBCousins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by pigman View Post
    It's cruel, but like has already been said what's up with his high school coach. Heck EJ had at least three of the UK coaches make in school visits during his recruitment. Seems strange no one ever saw this guy in person.
    I was thinking the same thing. How could you get that far in the recruiting process and never visit the campus, never meet someone face to face, or never email the head coach or call his number at the campus to realize he was not a recruit? Very odd.

  16. #16
    Registered User threetimelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Eamus Catuli AC000000
    Posts
    9,567
    It does not pass the smell test, IMO. What about the supposed visit last weekend to Oklahoma State? Did he or didn't he? Did they ever see any coach in person? Come on, red flags are waving all over the place.

  17. #17
    Premium Member 00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    KCCO
    Posts
    18,204
    Yea something is very odd here, how do you have all these "offers" and never once call the coach or go on a visit to Cal or Oregon? Something is rotten in Demark

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704
    Quote Originally Posted by JBCousins View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. How could you get that far in the recruiting process and never visit the campus, never meet someone face to face, or never email the head coach or call his number at the campus to realize he was not a recruit? Very odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by threetimelover View Post
    It does not pass the smell test, IMO. What about the supposed visit last weekend to Oklahoma State? Did he or didn't he? Did they ever see any coach in person? Come on, red flags are waving all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Yea something is very odd here, how do you have all these "offers" and never once call the coach or go on a visit to Cal or Oregon? Something is rotten in Demark
    I'm with all of you.

    He had offers but never went on a visit? No coach ever showed up at his house?

    Did his high school coach not think this was unusual?

    I'll be curious to see how this plays out and what the truth is. I don't think we're getting the truth.

  19. #19
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704
    I read some other stories about this. THis is not the head coach's first go-round with recruiting. He has been on college staffs and has placed other kids at D1 schools.

    What exactly would someone be charged with? Why is there a criminal invesstigation?

  20. #20
    Premium Member LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The Brain Sucker
    Posts
    50,392
    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81 View Post
    I read some other stories about this. THis is not the head coach's first go-round with recruiting. He has been on college staffs and has placed other kids at D1 schools.

    What exactly would someone be charged with? Why is there a criminal invesstigation?

    Well if e-mails were exchanged I would think a person could be charged with internet fraud, which generally involves deliberately deceiving the victim with the promise of goods, services, or other benefits that are nonexistent