Chase Young or Joe Burrow?

Page 3 of That is the question.... 41 comments | 1231 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,691

    Saw something from PFF that said, and I'm paraphrasing, but a top-flight QB is worth 6 wins a year, and Khalil Mack, as an example, is worth 1.5.

    There is no doubt that Burrow would be the selection for the Bengals if they have the 1st pick.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,197

    So what's everyone's opinion one month after this thread started? Still the same?

  3. #33
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    It's not even a question now, if it ever was.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,197

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    It's not even a question now, if it ever was.
    So are you still picking Young then?

  5. #35
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,749

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    So are you still picking Young then?
    No, not at all. I think Young will be really good, but the last few games he dropped off while Burrow took off.

    After watching both much closer over the past 3 or 4 games, I have flipped completely. Against better talent Joe got better while Chase disappeared.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,234

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    No, not at all. I think Young will be really good, but the last few games he dropped off while Burrow took off.

    After watching both much closer over the past 3 or 4 games, I have flipped completely. Against better talent Joe got better while Chase disappeared.
    Chase Young is very good. I think people overlooked what also helped him was how good OSU offense was. They were routinely blowing people out and getting big leads early. Which allowed Young to pin his ears back and just rush non stop. He can’t do that in close games, when teams still can mix it up. Then when you add in that teams started game planning for him more too. It just shows how it is a lot easier to stop a DE than a qb.

  7. #37
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,231

    Both are phenomenal players.

    I still lean towards Young more than Burrow, though. Just a personal preference I suppose.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,234

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Both are phenomenal players.

    I still lean towards Young more than Burrow, though. Just a personal preference I suppose.
    Are you leaning towards Young as in who the better player is? Or are you leaning towards him as he is someone you would take if you ran the Bengals and had the top pick?

  9. #39
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,231

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Are you leaning towards Young as in who the better player is? Or are you leaning towards him as he is someone you would take if you ran the Bengals and had the top pick?
    I think Young can make an impact quicker than Burrow. Joe is a great QB, but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he can go in and make a huge impact on any NFL team. If you put him on a bad team, he's not carrying them by himself. That said, if you need a QB and are at the top of the draft, you take Burrow for sure.

    Specifically to the Bengals, I can see both sides of the argument on whether or not to take Burrow #1. They have a lot of holes to fill, with QB being one of them. Do you start by filling the QB position (I personally wouldn't), or rebuild the foundation, and then go get your QB? I see pros and cons to both ways.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,234

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I think Young can make an impact quicker than Burrow. Joe is a great QB, but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he can go in and make a huge impact on any NFL team. If you put him on a bad team, he's not carrying them by himself. That said, if you need a QB and are at the top of the draft, you take Burrow for sure.

    Specifically to the Bengals, I can see both sides of the argument on whether or not to take Burrow #1. They have a lot of holes to fill, with QB being one of them. Do you start by filling the QB position (I personally wouldn't), or rebuild the foundation, and then go get your QB? I see pros and cons to both ways.
    The only problem with rebuilding the foundation first and then trying to get the QB. Is you may not get the qb you want after you laid the foundation and then end up at best with an average QB similar to what they had in Dalton. When they had the talent, yet against teams with winning records or in big games their qb didn’t perform. Burrow could be a stud, average, or a bust you just never know when drafting a QB. However, in this case they at least get to choose the exact qb they want and don’t have to worry about someone else drafting him before them.

    As for Young I do think he will be very good. I do think he benefitted from the offense at OSU getting out to such big leads early in the year, that it allowed him to just pin his ears back and go. That wouldn’t be the case here in Cincy. Which we seen the Bengals defensive line play ended up being pretty good the last 6 games or so once the Bengals actually we’re in games with the offense running the ball well. They were getting pressure on the qb with their D line.

    If I knew for a fact that hey they would get either Lawrence or Fields next year. Then I would be more ok with getting Young. However, there is no way to know that. So imo get the QB now you want and then build around him. Either way the Bengals need to get this right.

  11. #41
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,278

    I agree Young will be an impact player but pass rushing DE may be the strongest position and lowest need on this current Bengals roster.

  12. #42
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,365

    No way you pass on Burrow.

    Also, I personally like Gross-Matos from Penn State better than Young.

Top