Central Florida 34 Auburn 27

Page 7 of Final. Thrilled for the Knights!... 138 comments | 3327 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,544

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    How is automatically putting in conference champs any better than opinion? Again you could have a 3-4 loss conference champ get in over a 1 loss team from another conference that didn't even make their title game or makes their conference championship and loses. Would you say if there was one spot left this year and you had to pick between USC and Wisc, who you picking?
    USC. If USC would have beat osu no one would have a problem with me saying that. That is my point it needs to be determined on the field not opinion. We got to see on the field usc wouldn't have gotten it done.

    Also if a team is not even the champion of their conference then it's also fair to say they shouldn't have a chance to be crowned national champ over a conference champ. It's called a national championship. So that's what it should be a national championship. It's very simple if a team wants to be in the playoff they know for sure they have to win their conference. If their conference ends up being very tough so be it. Being a national champ is tough but it should be decided on the field not opinion.

    Now I will say if they did automatic bids. They would need to do away with divisions in conference to ensure the best 2 teams in the conference end up in the conference championship.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,329

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    USC. If USC would have beat osu no one would have a problem with me saying that. That is my point it needs to be determined on the field not opinion. We got to see on the field usc wouldn't have gotten it done.

    Also if a team is not even the champion of their conference then it's also fair to say they shouldn't have a chance to be crowned national champ over a conference champ. It's called a national championship. So that's what it should be a national championship. It's very simple if a team wants to be in the playoff they know for sure they have to win their conference. If their conference ends up being very tough so be it. Being a national champ is tough but it should be decided on the field not opinion.

    Now I will say if they did automatic bids. They would need to do away with divisions in conference to ensure the best 2 teams in the conference end up in the conference championship.
    You keep saying not opinion, but it's completely an opinion that conference champ should determine it. Because a team lucks out and is in a crappy conference shouldn't automatically equal a shot at the title.

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,544

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    You keep saying not opinion, but it's completely an opinion that conference champ should determine it. Because a team lucks out and is in a crappy conference shouldn't automatically equal a shot at the title.
    Once again how do people truly know if a co conference is bad or not. That also is opinion. Most of the year the big 10 as a whole looked weak. They have shown otherwise in bowl games. For many years the big 12 got the shaft because their conference by opinion was weak. When in reality if given that chance in the playoffs they could have done something. So Yes it is opinion. It is not opinion when you make it clear to make the playoffs you have to win your conference. That means you earned it on the field.

    Not to mention automatic bids also probably lead to better non conference games. Teams would be more willing to step up to a challenge because they know one loss wouldn't just eliminate them. So more teams may be more willing to test themselves to get ready for conference.

  4. #94
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,329

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Once again how do people truly know if a co conference is bad or not. That also is opinion. Most of the year the big 10 as a whole looked weak. They have shown otherwise in bowl games. For many years the big 12 got the shaft because their conference by opinion was weak. When in reality if given that chance in the playoffs they could have done something. So Yes it is opinion. It is not opinion when you make it clear to make the playoffs you have to win your conference. That means you earned it on the field.

    Not to mention automatic bids also probably lead to better non conference games. Teams would be more willing to step up to a challenge because they know one loss wouldn't just eliminate them. So more teams may be more willing to test themselves to get ready for conference.
    You do understand that by saying you have to win your conference you are of the OPINION that winning a conference means you are good enough to be in. You get that right? You continue to put this weight on a conference championship that is nothing more than an opinion. Over the course of a season you can gauge if a conference is good or not and be more right than wrong. That may be an opinion but it is normally an opinion based on facts, based from on the field results.

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Somebody has been listening to a lot of Joel Klatt and his conf champs should get in whining. What has USC shown anyone to make us believe they are a championship contender.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,544

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    You do understand that by saying you have to win your conference you are of the OPINION that winning a conference means you are good enough to be in. You get that right? You continue to put this weight on a conference championship that is nothing more than an opinion. Over the course of a season you can gauge if a conference is good or not and be more right than wrong. That may be an opinion but it is normally an opinion based on facts, based from on the field results.
    No judging conferences is not based on facts. Since the majority of games are against teams in your own conference. There is no facts to prove that well the teams in this comference are better. That is opinion. And no a conference champ getting in is not an opinion. That is a fact. A team before the year knows if we win our conference championship that means we are in. That means it was done on the field and not by some opinion putting them in.

    As it is now we truly could have 5 teams one from each power 5 conference go undefeated and one team would be left out. How do we know even if that one team maybe was in a weaker conference based on opinion. That, that team wouldn't though beat the other 4 undefeated teams from other conferences.

    Even a year like this Bama would have got one of the at large even with conference champs having automatic bids. So it wouldn't be leaving some top team out. 5 automatic bids. One automatic bid for a non power 5 champ. Then 2 at large.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,544

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    Somebody has been listening to a lot of Joel Klatt and his conf champs should get in whining. What has USC shown anyone to make us believe they are a championship contender.
    Easier to say that now after seeing osu do what they did. What did ucf do to make someone think they could beat auburn after we saw auburn destroy both Bama and Georgia. No one would have thought that would do that, but yet they did.

    Why is college foorball the only sport that puts teams in and leaves teams out based on opinions? Let things get determine on the field. If a top team gets left out because they failed to win their conference so be it. If you can't be the best team in your conference, then you can't be mad if you are left out. The Seattle Seahawks are a better team than both the titans and bills. Yet they are sitting at home because they are in the NFc which was a tougher conference this year. Tough luck for them. Win your division and you don't have to worry about it.

    Yet college football we decide with opinions which teams should be in and who should be out. Life is unfair. You should have a chance to earn it on the field and know exactly what you have to do to get in rather than rely on people's opinion to put you in.

  8. #98
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,329

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    No judging conferences is not based on facts. Since the majority of games are against teams in your own conference. There is no facts to prove that well the teams in this comference are better. That is opinion. And no a conference champ getting in is not an opinion. That is a fact. A team before the year knows if we win our conference championship that means we are in. That means it was done on the field and not by some opinion putting them in.

    As it is now we truly could have 5 teams one from each power 5 conference go undefeated and one team would be left out. How do we know even if that one team maybe was in a weaker conference based on opinion. That, that team wouldn't though beat the other 4 undefeated teams from other conferences.

    Even a year like this Bama would have got one of the at large even with conference champs having automatic bids. So it wouldn't be leaving some top team out. 5 automatic bids. One automatic bid for a non power 5 champ. Then 2 at large.
    If you want to put in conference champs then fine, you do not care about the best 4 or 8 teams getting in. You just want to reward someone for winning a conference whether they really did anything else to deserve to get in.

    If you don't want opinion involved, then why just the P5 conference champs getting automatic bids? It's your opinion that they are better isn't it? Why shouldn't the AAC or MAC or other G5 champ get an automatic bid over one or hell all of the P5 champ? The entire system is based on opinion and always has been.

  9. #99
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    If you go undefeated, you're in. I don't care who it is. Any 1A school that is undefeated deserves a shot

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,544

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    If you want to put in conference champs then fine, you do not care about the best 4 or 8 teams getting in. You just want to reward someone for winning a conference whether they really did anything else to deserve to get in.

    If you don't want opinion involved, then why just the P5 conference champs getting automatic bids? It's your opinion that they are better isn't it? Why shouldn't the AAC or MAC or other G5 champ get an automatic bid over one or hell all of the P5 champ? The entire system is based on opinion and always has been.
    I would be good with that. So simple you win your conference and your in. If not you are out. Or if you want to through a stipulation in if you are a conference champ but have three loses. Then your spot is not automatic and turns into an at large then up for grabs.

    You are right it's always been based on opinion. Which is something I have argued about since i been on this site. I love college football but hate it being decided by opinion. If you miss out because you weren't good enough to even win your own conference. Then sorry about your luck. I would be fine with that. It makes the whole season like a playoff then, but has a true end goal and accomplishment for that playoff because you know exactly what you have to do to get in. Currently as mentioned there is no set thing that gets you in. For as much time as players have to put in between class and football. They should know exactly what they have to do to get in rather than rely on people's opinions.

  11. #101

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Easier to say that now after seeing osu do what they did. What did ucf do to make someone think they could beat auburn after we saw auburn destroy both Bama and Georgia. No one would have thought that would do that, but yet they did.

    Why is college foorball the only sport that puts teams in and leaves teams out based on opinions? Let things get determine on the field. If a top team gets left out because they failed to win their conference so be it. If you can't be the best team in your conference, then you can't be mad if you are left out. The Seattle Seahawks are a better team than both the titans and bills. Yet they are sitting at home because they are in the NFc which was a tougher conference this year. Tough luck for them. Win your division and you don't have to worry about it.

    Yet college football we decide with opinions which teams should be in and who should be out. Life is unfair. You should have a chance to earn it on the field and know exactly what you have to do to get in rather than rely on people's opinion to put you in.
    I'm talking before OSU smacked them down....what had USC shown you to make you believe they were championship contenders...and let's stop pretending like playing UCF in the peach bowl is anything like going in Jordan Hare as a rival...doesn't compare.

  12. #102
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    30,184

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    If you want to put in conference champs then fine, you do not care about the best 4 or 8 teams getting in. You just want to reward someone for winning a conference whether they really did anything else to deserve to get in.

    If you don't want opinion involved, then why just the P5 conference champs getting automatic bids? It's your opinion that they are better isn't it? Why shouldn't the AAC or MAC or other G5 champ get an automatic bid over one or hell all of the P5 champ? The entire system is based on opinion and always has been.
    Amazing, isn't it? The other divisions of college football manage to be able to settle it on the field with 16 and 24 team playoffs. The highest level of college football can't seem to justify it.

  13. #103
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    30,184

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Except P5 teams do play them. They had two on the schedule this year.
    I can't speak to UCF's issue, but USF had 2 P5 schools on their schedule, too, this year. However, Michigan State cancelled the return half of the home and home contract between the 2 schools.

    Indiana cancelled their home and home before the first game could be played and Wisconsin keeps pushing back the return side of their home and home. It was originally scheduled for 2015, but got pushed back to 2016, then 2018, now 2019. I doubt that game ever happens.

    Florida is supposed to host USF for a second time in Gainesville, but will not schedule it. The Gators will not dirty themselves by coming to Tampa. Of course, they rarely play OOC games away from The Swamp.

    Texas agreed to a 2 for 1, but negotiated a lower buy out to do so. Can't wait for that not to happen, either.

    My source is USF AD Mark Harlan, who has been very public about the refusal of P5 teams, especially the upper tier schools, to schedule USF. No one from any P5 school has refuted his claims, as far as I know. I ask him about scheduling every time I see him. For instance, he joined our tailgate group, for a short time, the last home game of the season. He talked about this issue then.

  14. #104
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,679

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I love it! I love the fact that they are not letting this go and is becoming a national Story. The more stuff like this happens the better chance of getting to an 8 team playoff.

    College football is the only sport that uses opinions to basically crown a champion. There is zero definite way of knowing you will make it. It all comes down to opinion. That is why I think you have to have 8 teams with all 5 power 5 conference champs automatically making it. Then have a stipulation where a team has a hear like UCF this year they get in. As see have seen we all have opinions, but no one truly knows until they play on the field.

    If someone asked after Auburn beat down both Georgia and Bama. Would UCF have a shot to best Auburn even with a month to get ready. People would have said no shot. College football truly doesn't crown a champ by results on the field. They do it by opinion. Would UCF have won it probably not, did they as a team deserve a shot probably. That's why 8 team playoff needs to happen.
    All the college sports use opinions to determine their champions. As long as there are at large bids it is based on opinion. If you want to eliminate opinion then only conference champions should be in any playoff/tournament. Only then will it be won on the field/ court. If the "minor" conferences don't get an automatic bid they should be moved to a different division.

  15. #105
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,580

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    If you go undefeated, you're in. I don't care who it is. Any 1A school that is undefeated deserves a shot
    So if Akron, ECU, FIU and Louisiana-Lafayette go undefeated in a particular year, that should be the teams in the CFP? Over one (or even two) loss SEC/ACC/Big10 schools? Don't be ridiculous..

Top