Central Florida 34 Auburn 27

Page 6 of Final. Thrilled for the Knights!... 138 comments | 3039 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,490

    It may have been mentioned but even with an 8 team playoff, UCF would have still been left out.
    Advertisement

  2. #77

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Because I'm for the best teams making it regardless of conference and who the champion of that conference is. Automatic bids all but guarantee a lesser team gets in over a better team. Take this year for example...if there were 8 teams in I'm not 100% sure I'd put a Pac 10 team in. You say take opinions out, then why just the Power 5 winners get automatic bids? In your opinion those champs are better than the champs from the G5 (or whatever they're called) teams.

    I honestly think the better way to do it is use the BCS computers to pick the playoff teams. Regardless of the whining during the BCS era, they got it right.
    The bcs got it right? Once again how do you know those were truly the best 2 teams. Once again conferences and schedules are unequal. So even the bcs system was no way of truly knowing which teams was better. Once again a true national champ was not crowned. If we want to say national champion. Then it should truly be national champ. The 5 power conferences is made up of teams across the nation. So automatic bid does truly crown a national champ. You say you want the best teams in. Once again how do you know which teams are the best? That is just opinions or what you want a computer to decide. That's not letting teams actually decide a champ.

    As for the non power 5. I'm actually good with them making it. If a non power 5 champ is ranked in top 25 put them in. People say what makes college football great is the regular season means something. Well having automatic bids also makes the regular season still mean something because you better win to get to your conference championship and you better then win it.

    Automatic bids accomplishes making the regular season the most meaningful in all sports like people want. But then it truly crowns a national champ in every sense of the word. College football is still the only champ that crowns champs basically on opinion because it's not truly a national champ.

  3. #78

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    It may have been mentioned but even with an 8 team playoff, UCF would have still been left out.
    I think in an 8 team playoff the committee would have put ucf much higher and would have made it. In a 4 team playoff though ucf is right. The committee probably purposely left them ranked further down to try to avoid this discussion. Which this discussion never happens if auburn beats ucf.

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    871

    If Clemson and Oklahoma would have won their semi final games; I don't think this would have gained as much ground as it has. The fact that Bama and Georgia are in the title game gives this energy. Of course since UCF beat Auburn and Auburn beat both Bama and UGA the math suggests that UCF would beat Bama and UGA, therefore they are the best team in the nation.....that's how absurd this sounds.

  5. #80
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,086

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    The bcs got it right? Once again how do you know those were truly the best 2 teams. Once again conferences and schedules are unequal. So even the bcs system was no way of truly knowing which teams was better. Once again a true national champ was not crowned. If we want to say national champion. Then it should truly be national champ. The 5 power conferences is made up of teams across the nation. So automatic bid does truly crown a national champ. You say you want the best teams in. Once again how do you know which teams are the best? That is just opinions or what you want a computer to decide. That's not letting teams actually decide a champ.

    As for the non power 5. I'm actually good with them making it. If a non power 5 champ is ranked in top 25 put them in. People say what makes college football great is the regular season means something. Well having automatic bids also makes the regular season still mean something because you better win to get to your conference championship and you better then win it.

    Automatic bids accomplishes making the regular season the most meaningful in all sports like people want. But then it truly crowns a national champ in every sense of the word. College football is still the only champ that crowns champs basically on opinion because it's not truly a national champ.
    Automatic bid does not truly crown a champ. Look at this year...Bama is at least one of if not the best team. With automatic bids they could get left out. Replace Bama with any team at that level and it could happen.

  6. #81

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Automatic bid does not truly crown a champ. Look at this year...Bama is at least one of if not the best team. With automatic bids they could get left out. Replace Bama with any team at that level and it could happen.
    True Bama would have been left out. Then that gets back to the regular season being the most meaningful than any other sport. So doing that keeps the regular season having the most meaning and does crown a true national champ. Or if there is a yeat where a non power 5 has a champ that not even a top 25 team. Then you add an at large and someone like Bama then gets in.

    As much as I love to give @GrantNKY and osu fans a hard time. A team like osu very well could have won if this year. Or a few years ago no one would have thought osu with a 3rd string qb making his 2nd and 3rd career starts would beat Bama and Oregon in back to back games. No one knows anything until the game is actually played. Just like that same year a team like TCU may have been able to do what Osu did, but they didn't get that shot to prove it on the field. Only an opinion put osu in over them. Osu then got a chance to prove themselves and TCU didn't even though both teams only had one lost and osu lost came against a worse team.

  7. #82

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    If Clemson and Oklahoma would have won their semi final games; I don't think this would have gained as much ground as it has. The fact that Bama and Georgia are in the title game gives this energy. Of course since UCF beat Auburn and Auburn beat both Bama and UGA the math suggests that UCF would beat Bama and UGA, therefore they are the best team in the nation.....that's how absurd this sounds.
    I love that ucf is doing this though. Continue to make people see this story and get the playoffs expanded.

  8. #83
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,687

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Automatic bids accomplishes making the regular season the most meaningful in all sports like people want. But then it truly crowns a national champ in every sense of the word. College football is still the only champ that crowns champs basically on opinion because it's not truly a national champ.
    We've had some year where the PAC Champ would have had 3 or 4 losses coming into the playoffs, would they truly deserve to get in over a 1 or 2 loss team from another conference that had a stronger SOS and played another big time school out of conference? What if football falls off dramatically in a Power 5 conference or half the teams leave the conference, do we bump up the AAC into the Power 5?

    I think Auto Quailifiers are a joke...look at the NCAA basketball tourney...pick the best 4 or 8 teams and have at it.

  9. #84
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    20,778

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    It is shocking a school of UCF's size is not in a Power 5 conference. That's a massive university.
    WOW!!!
    After your post I googled their enrollment. They are the largest university in Florida with 64,000 students. That is huge!!!

  10. #85
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    40,166

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    WOW!!!
    After your post I googled their enrollment. They are the largest university in Florida with 64,000 students. That is huge!!!
    Oh yeah. UCF is one of the largest schools in America.

  11. #86

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,490

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I think in an 8 team playoff the committee would have put ucf much higher and would have made it. In a 4 team playoff though ucf is right. The committee probably purposely left them ranked further down to try to avoid this discussion. Which this discussion never happens if auburn beats ucf.
    I don't think they would have put them any higher given the same circumstances. Let's face it, UCF was still an unknown until they beat Auburn. I can't see as of early December them jumping two of the three teams ahead of them, Auburn, USC and Penn St. The fact that they were 0-12 two years ago and only won 6 last year with many of the same players did a lot to keep them from getting a lot of respect.

  12. #87
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    20,778

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    If Clemson and Oklahoma would have won their semi final games; I don't think this would have gained as much ground as it has. The fact that Bama and Georgia are in the title game gives this energy. Of course since UCF beat Auburn and Auburn beat both Bama and UGA the math suggests that UCF would beat Bama and UGA, therefore they are the best team in the nation.....that's how absurd this sounds.
    To make this math work UCF would have to beat Auburn at Auburn’s stadium. We saw what Georgia did to the Tigers at a neutral site.

  13. #88

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    We've had some year where the PAC Champ would have had 3 or 4 losses coming into the playoffs, would they truly deserve to get in over a 1 or 2 loss team from another conference that had a stronger SOS and played another big time school out of conference? What if football falls off dramatically in a Power 5 conference or half the teams leave the conference, do we bump up the AAC into the Power 5?

    I think Auto Quailifiers are a joke...look at the NCAA basketball tourney...pick the best 4 or 8 teams and have at it.
    Pick the 4 or best 8 teams based on opinion. That's the problem. Still no way to know for sure if those teams truly are the best. If we crowned champs based on opinion in the. Peyton Manning probably has 5 or 6 super bowl championships. Tom Brady 10. As we see in the nfl once teams are in, anything is possible.

    8 team playoff. 5 automatic bids and 3 at large. Have a stipulation where if a non power 5 team gets to a certain criteria they are in. Or have 5 automatic bids. A 6th for the highest non power 5 champ and 2 at large. Someone who is deserving wouldn't be left out, and were not only putting teams in on opinion only.

  14. #89
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,687

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Pick the 4 or best 8 teams based on opinion. That's the problem. Still no way to know for sure if those teams truly are the best. If we crowned champs based on opinion in the. Peyton Manning probably has 5 or 6 super bowl championships. Tom Brady 10. As we see in the nfl once teams are in, anything is possible.

    8 team playoff. 5 automatic bids and 3 at large. Have a stipulation where if a non power 5 team gets to a certain criteria they are in. Or have 5 automatic bids. A 6th for the highest non power 5 champ and 2 at large. Someone who is deserving wouldn't be left out, and were not only putting teams in on opinion only.
    Then we should put everyone in, if there are to be no opinions used.

    I'll never support automatically putting in a conf champ when a conf champ could have 4 or 5 losses. It should be the 4 or 8 best...however they are selected. Has the Bowl Playoff committee made a glaring mistake since it started? When did the BCS not give us arguably the two best teams?

    Even in the smaller divisions you have quailty teams that get left out because a bad conf champ has to get in and a strong 2nd or 3rd place team in another conference gets left out.

  15. #90
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,086

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Pick the 4 or best 8 teams based on opinion. That's the problem. Still no way to know for sure if those teams truly are the best. If we crowned champs based on opinion in the. Peyton Manning probably has 5 or 6 super bowl championships. Tom Brady 10. As we see in the nfl once teams are in, anything is possible.

    8 team playoff. 5 automatic bids and 3 at large. Have a stipulation where if a non power 5 team gets to a certain criteria they are in. Or have 5 automatic bids. A 6th for the highest non power 5 champ and 2 at large. Someone who is deserving wouldn't be left out, and were not only putting teams in on opinion only.
    How is automatically putting in conference champs any better than opinion? Again you could have a 3-4 loss conference champ get in over a 1 loss team from another conference that didn't even make their title game or makes their conference championship and loses. Would you say if there was one spot left this year and you had to pick between USC and Wisc, who you picking?

Top