Bobby Bowden

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    9,771

    Bobby Bowden

    As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

    No matter if you like him or not you have to say he was good for the game.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Citrus Park
    Posts
    25,549

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett View Post
    As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

    No matter if you like him or not you have to say he was good for the game.
    When I first moved to Florida, while I was attending USF (who had no football program at the time), I was a Seminole football fan. I still am to some extent and that was because of Bobby Bowden. Bowden drew a lot of fans to FSU football, the school is not that dag um big, buy his "River Boat" gambler style and his home town demeanor. The 'Noles would not be the 'Noles without him.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    I don't care if it is his last game or not, a 6-6 team playing on New Years Day is a joke.

  4. #4
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,237

    You'll get over it I'm sure. It's not every day a legend retires. I consider that worthy of New Year's Day, I don't care if they lost 10 games.

  5. #5
    Theoldguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    At a CovCath game, keeping the Stats
    Posts
    13,563

    Wide left on the Field Goal just taken by FS, sort of fitting isn't it!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    You'll get over it I'm sure. It's not every day a legend retires. I consider that worthy of New Year's Day, I don't care if they lost 10 games.
    Surprising coming from a Florida State fan

    There's nothing to get over, I sure won't lose sleep over it. It sucks for the better teams that got passed up.

  7. #7
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Surprising coming from a Florida State fan

    There's nothing to get over, I sure won't lose sleep over it. It sucks for the better teams that got passed up.
    Clemson was the only one to my knowledge that got passed up, and I agree, it sucks for them. Under normal circumstances, I would agree that it was a load of crap. I'm just saying, this is a pretty rare circumstance, don't you think?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    Clemson was the only one to my knowledge that got passed up, and I agree, it sucks for them. Under normal circumstances, I would agree that it was a load of crap. I'm just saying, this is a pretty rare circumstance, don't you think?
    Miami, V Tech and BC all had better conference records and overall records. UNC had a better overall record and the same conference record.

    It is a rare circumstance, but too many ACC teams god jumped for this to happen.

  9. #9
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Miami, V Tech and BC all had better conference records and overall records. UNC had a better overall record and the same conference record.

    It is a rare circumstance, but too many ACC teams god jumped for this to happen.
    The Chick-Fil-A Bowl has first pick of ACC teams after the BCS, hence Virginia Tech went there. UNC would have no argument even with a better overall record because they have the same conference record and lost to FSU. So I'll expand it to Clemson, Miami (FL), and Boston College. Clemson is the most legit because there is a rule in place that is supposed to preclude the choice of a team that is more than 1 conference loss behind another available team, in this case, Clemson. The Gator Bowl did a little dance invoking some rule that says they have to invite the ACC Championship loser once every four years, which they did last in 2007. Clemson got jobbed on that one. Miami (FL) and Boston College are neither one protected by that rule.

    At best, I'll give you that Florida State jumped three teams. It is certainly not the five that you're painting. I feel Clemson is the only one with a very legit gripe.

  10. #10
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,237

    BTW, as a UK fan, I would think that you would understand the other part of the equation, namely the drawing power and amount of fans that would be coming to this game, like we note UK is every single year bowl season comes around and speculation starts about bubble teams if the bowl tie-ins run out. Florida State was an extremely attractive draw this year, much more so than Boston College would have been coming from New England, and more so than Miami was because of it being Bobby Bowden's last game, playing against his original team.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    The Chick-Fil-A Bowl has first pick of ACC teams after the BCS, hence Virginia Tech went there. UNC would have no argument even with a better overall record because they have the same conference record and lost to FSU. So I'll expand it to Clemson, Miami (FL), and Boston College. Clemson is the most legit because there is a rule in place that is supposed to preclude the choice of a team that is more than 1 conference loss behind another available team, in this case, Clemson. The Gator Bowl did a little dance invoking some rule that says they have to invite the ACC Championship loser once every four years, which they did last in 2007. Clemson got jobbed on that one. Miami (FL) and Boston College are neither one protected by that rule.

    At best, I'll give you that Florida State jumped three teams. It is certainly not the five that you're painting. I feel Clemson is the only one with a very legit gripe.
    I did not know Chick Fil A picked before, that is my bad. I still feel UNC could have a legit argument and the other three definitely do. It is what it is. Good for FSU that they are playing well today.

  12. #12
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    27,656

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett View Post
    As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

    No matter if you like him or not you have to say he was good for the game.
    I have to disagree with you, always thought the Florida State program was shady under Bowden.

    I'm glad to see the used car salesman of college football go.

  13. #13
    FairFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03
    Location
    Big Blue Nation
    Posts
    9,252

    Their record may not make them deserving of this bowl game, but they are looking like geniuses with the way they are playing.

  14. #14
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    8,311

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett View Post
    As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

    No matter if you like him or not you have to say he was good for the game.
    ^Absolutely. I totally agree CB.

  15. #15
    atticus7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    "On the bench, thoroughly enjoying the fact that BadCat is now doing our unpleasant jobs for us."
    Posts
    1,891

    I always liked what he said after the loss to Penn State in a bowl a few years ago when a kicker missed a field goal that would have won the game. He was asked as he and Paterno walked off the field what would be said to the kicker and he said something like, "Nothing, he did the best he could." He was literally arm and arm with Paterno and you could tell those guys had been there before.

Top