2019 Preseason Coaches Poll

Page 2 of When that first poll is released annually I get the heebie-jeebies. Football is officially around the corner! Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio... 26 comments | 2155 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Where do you honestly see a struggle on the schedule? They aren't going to lose at home and they own The Big House lately, no power 5 OOC this year. Could they pull another choke job like the last few years sure, but it's hard to see one looking at the schedule. Toughest games are likely the last two and rookie coach and rookie QB won't be rookies by then. I honestly don't see them missing the playoffs unless they pull another "Purdue" this year. I think new coach will have enough fire to keep the yearly Urban Flop from happening this year.
    Well ESPN ranks 5, top 25 opponents with Nebraska coming in at 26. Zero chance OSU runs the table, I could see 2 losses.

    Iím cautiously optimistic with a rookie HC & QB and brand new defensive coaches. It takes time for things to gel. Clemson got to where they are because they retain their coaches.

    We just lost a legendary coach, we canít expect a seamless transition.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    UK still has the advantage of the usual weak OOC schedule, as well as about as easy an in-conference SEC schedule as can be had. Iím saying 6-6 at worst, maybe 7-5. Like you, I canít see 8 wins.
    Two preseason top 25 opponents. I donít see the schedule being this weak for long in the SEC. UK will bowl with this schedule.

  3. #18
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,273

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Well ESPN ranks 5, top 25 opponents with Nebraska coming in at 26. Zero chance OSU runs the table, I could see 2 losses.

    I’m cautiously optimistic with a rookie HC & QB and brand new defensive coaches. It takes time for things to gel. Clemson got to where they are because they retain their coaches.

    We just lost a legendary coach, we can’t expect a seamless transition.
    Sand bagger
    No way you actually think they will lose two games. Which two or three have you concerned?

  4. #19
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Sand bagger
    No way you actually think they will lose two games. Which two or three have you concerned?
    You continue to skip past the fact we lost a legendary coach, the best QB in school history, 85% of our defensive coaches.

    Michigan is picked to go to the playoffs by a lot of the pundits. Nebraska, we almost lost to last year while they were developing their stud QB, Northwestern on a Friday night, with a 5 star transfer QB who was ranked #2 nationally his senior year. Penn State is always a backyard brawl.

    What are you trying to say here Jump, do you think Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley 2.0?

    I think we go 11-1 but 10-2 wouldnít shock me at all.

  5. #20
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,273

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    You continue to skip past the fact we lost a legendary coach, the best QB in school history, 85% of our defensive coaches.

    Michigan is picked to go to the playoffs by a lot of the pundits. Nebraska, we almost lost to last year while they were developing their stud QB, Northwestern on a Friday night, with a 5 star transfer QB who was ranked #2 nationally his senior year. Penn State is always a backyard brawl.

    What are you trying to say here Jump, do you think Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley 2.0?

    I think we go 11-1 but 10-2 wouldn’t shock me at all.
    Penn State is at home, Nebraska isn't there yet, Northwestern isn't going to get you again and the last time I looked Jim "0-fer"Harbaugh is still at Michigan.

    Yeah you lost players and coaches, but this is Ohio State...there were plenty of players behind the ones that left and your QB was what, the #1 recruit in the country 2 years ago. So don't give me this sister's of the poor routine, the cubbard is far from empty in Columbus.

    As for your "Rookie" coach, how was team overall performance under his guidance last year versus when Urban came back? They looked unbeatable under your rookie, that's how they were.

  6. #21
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Penn State is at home, Nebraska isn't there yet, Northwestern isn't going to get you again and the last time I looked Jim "0-fer"Harbaugh is still at Michigan.

    Yeah you lost players and coaches, but this is Ohio State...there were plenty of players behind the ones that left and your QB was what, the #1 recruit in the country 2 years ago. So don't give me this sister's of the poor routine, the cubbard is far from empty in Columbus.

    As for your "Rookie" coach, how was team overall performance under his guidance last year versus when Urban came back? They looked unbeatable under your rookie, that's how they were.
    Same QB who you all said wasnít good enough to beat Fromm. Your crazy if you think OSU is going to walk through everybody but hey, Iíll be ecstatic if your right. Day is 0-0 vs Michigan and faces a 5 star senior QB this year on the road. The roulette ball usually doesnít land on red 8 times in a row. I canít slot my guys into the playoffs automatically, I need to see the first month. Iím hoping you tell me ďI told you so,Ē in January.

  7. #22
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,273

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Same QB who you all said wasn’t good enough to beat Fromm. Your crazy if you think OSU is going to walk through everybody but hey, I’ll be ecstatic if your right. Day is 0-0 vs Michigan and faces a 5 star senior QB this year on the road. The roulette ball usually doesn’t land on red 8 times in a row. I can’t slot my guys into the playoffs automatically, I need to see the first month. I’m hoping you tell me “I told you so,” in January.
    Same QB you guys said was the greatest thing since Tom Brady... The one that didn't get a fair shake at Georgia.

    I'll give you possibly Michigan, as I said before the two toughest games were the last two. You are correct, you can't beat them every year...it just seems like it.

    Back to your coach, there isn't another coach you'd trade him for today...maybe if he actually loses 3 games...but right now today walking into this job he was your guy and slam dunk hire.

    No way they have two regular season losses.

  8. #23
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Same QB you guys said was the greatest thing since Tom Brady... The one that didn't get a fair shake at Georgia.

    I'll give you possibly Michigan, as I said before the two toughest games were the last two. You are correct, you can't beat them every year...it just seems like it.

    Back to your coach, there isn't another coach you'd trade him for today...maybe if he actually loses 3 games...but right now today walking into this job he was your guy and slam dunk hire.

    No way they have two regular season losses.
    Now I’ve brought you back down to earth, reaching for Tom Brady comparisons lol.

    Give me OSU’s record, you going all in 12-0, or have I corralled you in at 11-1?

    Also, where do you rank Ryan Day as a coach right now?

  9. #24
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,273

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Now I’ve brought you back down to earth, reaching for Tom Brady comparisons lol.

    Give me OSU’s record, you going all in 12-0, or have I corralled you in at 11-1?

    Also, where do you rank Ryan Day as a coach right now?
    Should be 12-0 but 11-1 is possible, 10-2 is a collapse in my opinion.

    I know little of Day except for how potent the team looked with him in control last year. The question is how do you and other Buckeyes feel about him.

  10. #25
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    23,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Should be 12-0 but 11-1 is possible, 10-2 is a collapse in my opinion.

    I know little of Day except for how potent the team looked with him in control last year. The question is how do you and other Buckeyes feel about him.
    You question my concerns of 10-2, call me a sandbagger, then you agree with the possibility! I guess we will settle on 11-1, although, I completely disagree with “should” go 12-0.

    You say we wouldn’t trade Day for any other coach out there, but won’t rank him?


    @GrantNKY and John vs. everyone, college football is in the air! Woooo!

    Have a great season Jump, I think your Cats will do just fine and will bowl in December.

  11. #26
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,636

    On this subject I see both the points JD and JA are making. I honestly have zero clue what OSU is going to look like this year. I LOVE Justin Fields. This time last year I was calling for him to be the starter at Georgia. I think the kid is that good. He may have some growing pains, hell Trevor Lawrence had some growing pains early last year. The kid is special. The offense will be elite. The defense on the other hand has elite players, but they were atrocious last year. I’m not ready to just act like last year didn’t happen. If the defense doesn’t improve, this is a 10-2 football team. If the defense improves marginally they are still probably 10-2 or 11-1 but probably miss out on the playoffs. If the defense gets back to an elite top 10 defense like it should be based on the talent, I don’t see this team losing a game. There are 3 games that I have circled that make me nervous. Cincinnati week 2, at Nebraska, and at Michigan. If OSU loses a game(s) it will come from those 3.

  12. #27
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,273

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    You question my concerns of 10-2, call me a sandbagger, then you agree with the possibility! I guess we will settle on 11-1, although, I completely disagree with “should” go 12-0.

    You say we wouldn’t trade Day for any other coach out there, but won’t rank him?


    @GrantNKY and John vs. everyone, college football is in the air! Woooo!

    Have a great season Jump, I think your Cats will do just fine and will bowl in December.
    I didn't say 10-2 is possible, I said it would be a collapse...as it would be for any of the Top 5 schools.

    It's not about ranking all coaches, it's about picking the exact right coach for your program at this point. You still haven't answered who you would have rather had instead of your "Rookie" coach.

    You make it sound like I'm against you, I have nothing but respect for your program.

Top