Wright State 84 Northern Kentucky 81

  1. #1
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,184

    Wright State 84 Northern Kentucky 81

    NKU lost a tight one last night. I didn't get to see the majority of the game, but it looked like they were down by about 12-14 early in the first half and clawed their way back in it, even taking the lead several times in the second half. Just couldn't get it done.

    Todd Benzinger's son went off for 30+ for Wright State.

    Very solid crowd there last night for the Norse. Makes me proud to see the student section as large as it was. Come a long way from the first couple season in BOKC when you were lucky to have 75-100 students there.

    Next up for the Norse, a home game on Monday night at 7:30pm vs Cleveland State. Need to bounce back to the win column.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    Game changed when the Norse were up 5 in the second half and Benzinger got called for a travel. For some unknown reason the officials allowed him to walk around to each official complaining and delayed the game for about 2-3 minutes. Killed all the momentum the Norse had.

    Oh and there is not a player I've ever seen in college basketball that I have a greater disdain for than that dude. He makes my blood boil. Played one hell of a game last night though.

    McDonald's numbers show a much better game than he actually played. I don't think Garnett knew there was a game last night. Tate played well, Williams was decent, as was Holland. Tyler Sharpe was huge off the bench for NKU. Really starting to like his game.

    The crowd was awesome. Student section was jammed packed and into the game the entire time. Tough break to get the loss in that environment.

    Wright State probably wrapped up the conference with the win IMO. Already have road wins over the only other two teams in the conference that have a shot in NKU and Oakland. The big freshman is a load. He had his way with McDonald and Williams all night down low.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    82

    Was a great atmosphere at the game. Unfortunately I chose seats in the Wright State section, being an Nku alum it made the experience a little less than desired. Overall that game was great. Free pizza at domino's even though they lost correct?

  4. #4
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    Quote Originally Posted by brown4 View Post
    Was a great atmosphere at the game. Unfortunately I chose seats in the Wright State section, being an Nku alum it made the experience a little less than desired. Overall that game was great. Free pizza at domino's even though they lost correct?
    Yes. Free pizza with your ticket thanks to the last second triple Holland hit.

  5. #5
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    ESPN has the attendance at 4,973. I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that. I think there was quite a bit more than that there.

  6. #6
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,184

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Tyler Sharpe was huge off the bench for NKU. Really starting to like his game.
    I like him too. Really nice stroke.

  7. #7
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,184

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    ESPN has the attendance at 4,973. I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that. I think there was quite a bit more than that there.
    Yeah, I thought they for sure had over 5K. Wasn't a doubt in my mind.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Game changed when the Norse were up 5 in the second half and Benzinger got called for a travel. For some unknown reason the officials allowed him to walk around to each official complaining and delayed the game for about 2-3 minutes. Killed all the momentum the Norse had.

    .
    I don't recall this. NKU was up 62-57 on a put back and then I think WSU immediately scored on a drive to the basket. Only time I remember NKU up by 5 and I don't recall a travel.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    I don't recall this. NKU was up 62-57 on a put back and then I think WSU immediately scored on a drive to the basket. Only time I remember NKU up by 5 and I don't recall a travel.
    It was 64-59, so right after that. Benzinger dove for a loose ball, landed on it and slid across the floor. Ref properly called a travel. He stood there and cried about it with each of the three refs for a good 2 minutes.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,077

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Game changed when the Norse were up 5 in the second half and Benzinger got called for a travel. For some unknown reason the officials allowed him to walk around to each official complaining and delayed the game for about 2-3 minutes. Killed all the momentum the Norse had.

    Oh and there is not a player I've ever seen in college basketball that I have a greater disdain for than that dude. He makes my blood boil. Played one hell of a game last night though.

    McDonald's numbers show a much better game than he actually played. I don't think Garnett knew there was a game last night. Tate played well, Williams was decent, as was Holland. Tyler Sharpe was huge off the bench for NKU. Really starting to like his game.

    The crowd was awesome. Student section was jammed packed and into the game the entire time. Tough break to get the loss in that environment.

    Wright State probably wrapped up the conference with the win IMO. Already have road wins over the only other two teams in the conference that have a shot in NKU and Oakland. The big freshman is a load. He had his way with McDonald and Williams all night down low.
    You crawled inside my brain to make this post. Garnett has become one of my favorite players on the team. Dude is grinder. He was not there last night. Agree completely on Drew, too. His stat line doesn't show it, but he was MIA last night. Missed more open shots than I've ever seen him miss and was a complete disaster on defense.

    Benzinger is a word I can't use on here. I have never seen such a whiner and a baby in my life, and why the refs pandered to him all night I will never understand. I don't really have a dislike for any team or player in all of sports. That guy is a complete millennial spoiled baby. Multiple times through the game the refs stopped to explain to WS players why they called certain things. I've never seen anything like it.

    Big freshman is a load, and I'm not sure how he didn't end up somewhere bigger than Wright State.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,077

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    ESPN has the attendance at 4,973. I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that. I think there was quite a bit more than that there.
    The lower bowl sold out. And there were a considerable amount of folks up top.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,077

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    It was 64-59, so right after that. Benzinger dove for a loose ball, landed on it and slid across the floor. Ref properly called a travel. He stood there and cried about it with each of the three refs for a good 2 minutes.
    They stopped the game and sat there and discussed it with him, agreed, at least a minute, maybe 2. As I stated above I have never seen anything like that. Couple minutes later, #11, who has never committed a foul in his life, they did the same thing. Stopped the game to go explain why they called a foul on him.

  13. #13
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    The lower bowl sold out. And there were a considerable amount of folks up top.
    That's what I was thinking. I'd imagine the lower bowl holds 5K by itself. No way that number is accurate, unless it doesn't include students.

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,758

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    They stopped the game and sat there and discussed it with him, agreed, at least a minute, maybe 2. As I stated above I have never seen anything like that. Couple minutes later, #11, who has never committed a foul in his life, they did the same thing. Stopped the game to go explain why they called a foul on him.
    Way I've always seen it in the college game, you talk more than a passing comment to a ref about a call, you either get told to shut up or get a T. He was basically holding court.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Way I've always seen it in the college game, you talk more than a passing comment to a ref about a call, you either get told to shut up or get a T. He was basically holding court.
    I found the play. It was 60-57 at the time. The only way they got a travel on that play is by saying he was airborne when he secured the ball and then took it to the ground. You're allowed to slide with the ball.

    Regardless, the delay was because they had the girl come out and wipe the floor. During that time Benzinger and the officials were talking about the play. The delay was because of the floor being wet. Entire thing lasted about 40 seconds. I don't think it impacted the game.

Top