Will They Stay or Will They Go?

  1. #1
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Will They Stay or Will They Go?

    Now that the season has reached its (unfortunate) end, who stays and who goes for the Wildcats?

    If I had to guess, I'll venture Knox, Shai, and Diallo are gone.

    I think the late season injury greatly diminishes Vanderbilt's chances of leaving. I imagine he and Washington will test the waters though, and ultimately return.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,419

    I was wondering how quickly this thread was going to pop up. I thought for sure someone was going to make one last night right after the game haha!

  3. #3
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,419

    My thoughts on them leaving:

    Knox is 100% gone
    SGA is 85% gone
    Vanderbilt is definitely going to test the waters. He is going to measure out and have some amazing camps and is gone. 60% chance.
    Diallo is 40% chance gone. I got a feeling that he enjoys college and isn't hurting for the money like some other families. I'm sure he wants to go, but I got a feeling he's back.
    Washington is 10% chance gone.

    I do think they lose Baker to transfer.

  4. #4
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    A returning core of Green, Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, Richards and SKJ would pair nicely with the likes of Herro, Johnson and Quickley IMO. If Cal can swing Hagans or Montgomery, look out. Same goes if he can convince Jeffries or Wiseman to reclassify.

  5. #5
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,419

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    A returning core of Green, Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, Richards and SKJ would pair nicely with the likes of Herro, Johnson and Quickley IMO. If Cal can swing Hagans or Montgomery, look out. Same goes if he can convince Jeffries or Wiseman to reclassify.
    I am trying not to be that fan that is already excited about next year but I can't deny who I am haha! I'm looking forward to having quite a few shooters, which it sounds like we'll have.

  6. #6
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I am trying not to be that fan that is already excited about next year but I can't deny who I am haha! I'm looking forward to having quite a few shooters, which it sounds like we'll have.
    If Baker returns, and I just assume he will, will probably be the best shooting team Cal has ever had at Kentucky.

  7. #7
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,419

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    If Baker returns, and I just assume he will, will probably be the best shooting team Cal has ever had at Kentucky.
    I hope he does. I feel like he would have helped open the floor up at times this year, especially when Hami was struggling. I just have a feeling he'll transfer.

  8. #8
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    40,080

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Now that the season has reached its (unfortunate) end, who stays and who goes for the Wildcats?

    If I had to guess, I'll venture Knox, Shai, and Diallo are gone.

    I think the late season injury greatly diminishes Vanderbilt's chances of leaving. I imagine he and Washington will test the waters though, and ultimately return.
    This feels right. I think Knox will make a good pro. His game translates to playing in space and he great size.

    Others I’m not that sure about.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    3,454

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I hope he does. I feel like he would have helped open the floor up at times this year, especially when Hami was struggling. I just have a feeling he'll transfer.
    Other than just feelings, can you share insights as to why he might leave.

  10. #10
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,419

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Other than just feelings, can you share insights as to why he might leave.
    Honestly just a gut feeling. They have some very strong guards coming in. Probably didn't feel a part of the team this year either.

    I'd imagine he received a medical redshirt, would that mean he could play right away elsewhere?

    I have no sources and haven't read this anywhere, just call it a hunch. I hope I'm wrong.

  11. #11
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,809

    I'd say SGA, Diallo, and Knox are definitely gone. The others will test the water and come back.

    Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, SKJ, Green, Richards all back would be very sweet.

  12. #12
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    3,961

    If a kid can go 1st round and get that guaranteed money, you can't fault them for going, that being said I could see all of them spending a significant amount of time in the G-League.

  13. #13
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    I stand with our soldiers who defend our flag.
    Posts
    21,225

    OK with whoever wants to go. This has been the least fun group Cal has had yet.

  14. #14
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,715

    Diallo and Vanderbilt should and likely will test the waters. I just don't see any way either go in the first round. So I'm not sure how they feel battling through the G League or overseas. Both could really benefit from a year to become better shooters and more constant. The question is will they be better off doing that at UK or under the care of an NBA team.

    Knox and Alexander are the obvious ones gone.

    I don't know enough about Baker and if he ends up transferring or if he sees a spot for himself next year.

    I love the combo of what we likely have coming back and the recruits coming in.

  15. #15
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,715

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    This feels right. I think Knox will make a good pro. His game translates to playing in space and he great size.

    Others I’m not that sure about.
    Knox will greatly benefit from the spacing the NBA will likely give him.

Top