Who Stays And Who Goes: 2015 Edition

Page 12 of Adam Zagoria reporting that Dakari Johnson will make a decision by week's end. Advertisement Apr 7, 15, 12:01 PM #122 RaiderPride5 View Profile Vi... 236 comments | 12604 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #166
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,868

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    Same with Booker, he could go from a top 20 to a possible top 8 in a year.
    I want Booker to stay more than anyone. But getting drafted in the top 20 will guarantee him a $1million+, and he gets started on that rookie contract a year earlier. Meaning bigger $$$ in his future a year earlier too.

    James Young, while spending the majority of the year in the D League, still made $1.7 million this year (I think Matt Jones tweeted that). He got paid a lot of money to develop for a year. Would he have developed more in his sophomore year? Maybe. But I have a hard to faulting a kid for turning down the opportunity to get drafted in the first round, especially if its a good one and you're projected top 20.
    Advertisement

  2. #167
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,054

    I think KAT, WCS, Lyles, Booker, Aaron, and Andrew all go.

    Dakari likely.

  3. #168

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,189

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I want Booker to stay more than anyone. But getting drafted in the top 20 will guarantee him a $1million+, and he gets started on that rookie contract a year earlier. Meaning bigger $$$ in his future a year earlier too.


    James Young, while spending the majority of the year in the D League, still made $1.7 million this year (I think Matt Jones tweeted that). He got paid a lot of money to develop for a year. Would he have developed more in his sophomore year? Maybe. But I have a hard to faulting a kid for turning down the opportunity to get drafted in the first round, especially if its a good one and you're projected top 20.
    I get what your saying but look at someone like Daniel Orton. Got paid a million dollars for 3 years to play in the D-League and wont make another NBA roster so his career ended quite quickly. Same could be said for James Young. He may make 4 million in 3 years in the D-League, but then what? Then he goes overseas because he wont crack the NBA more than likely, hope I am wrong. Just think Booker polishing his game one more year would help him in the long haul.

    But to fight my own argument, I guess it isn't much different than developing in the D-League and getting paid for it as opposed to being in College and not getting paid. I can't fault them either, just wish the rule would change

  4. #169
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,220

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    I get what your saying but look at someone like Daniel Orton. Got paid a million dollars for 3 years to play in the D-League and wont make another NBA roster so his career ended quite quickly. Same could be said for James Young. He may make 4 million in 3 years in the D-League, but then what? Then he goes overseas because he wont crack the NBA more than likely, hope I am wrong. Just think Booker polishing his game one more year would help him in the long haul.

    But to fight my own argument, I guess it isn't much different than developing in the D-League and getting paid for it as opposed to being in College and not getting paid. I can't fault them either, just wish the rule would change
    You make money, not NBA money but good money, overseas.

  5. #170

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,189

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    You make money, not NBA money but good money, overseas.
    True, but every college athletes dream is to play in the NBA, not overseas. Why not stay an extra year to make sure you will have that successful NBA career?

  6. #171
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    True, but every college athletes dream is to play in the NBA, not overseas. Why not stay an extra year to make sure you will have that successful NBA career?
    That worked out well for the Harrisons.

  7. #172
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,220

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    True, but every college athletes dream is to play in the NBA, not overseas. Why not stay an extra year to make sure you will have that successful NBA career?
    Because there is no guarantee. Remember, Orton (who had knee issues in high school and college) blew out his knee his 1st year in the NBA. He comes back that year and does it, there goes his 1st round status, there goes millions of dollars.

  8. #173

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,542

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I want Booker to stay more than anyone. But getting drafted in the top 20 will guarantee him a $1million+, and he gets started on that rookie contract a year earlier. Meaning bigger $$$ in his future a year earlier too.

    James Young, while spending the majority of the year in the D League, still made $1.7 million this year (I think Matt Jones tweeted that). He got paid a lot of money to develop for a year. Would he have developed more in his sophomore year? Maybe. But I have a hard to faulting a kid for turning down the opportunity to get drafted in the first round, especially if its a good one and you're projected top 20.
    I always liked Al Maguire's comment. When asked why he supported his players leaving early for the NBA he said: "Because I've seen their refrigerator at home."

  9. #174
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,868

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    I get what your saying but look at someone like Daniel Orton. Got paid a million dollars for 3 years to play in the D-League and wont make another NBA roster so his career ended quite quickly. Same could be said for James Young. He may make 4 million in 3 years in the D-League, but then what? Then he goes overseas because he wont crack the NBA more than likely, hope I am wrong. Just think Booker polishing his game one more year would help him in the long haul.
    In regards to Orton, him leaving college early didn't hurt his NBA career, it was his knee injury. I'll be willing to bet it was his attitude and work ethic too (Might be unfair, since I have no idea, just a hunch).

  10. #175
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,868

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfClutch33 View Post
    But to fight my own argument, I guess it isn't much different than developing in the D-League and getting paid for it as opposed to being in College and not getting paid. I can't fault them either, just wish the rule would change
    On the rule change, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like it right where it is. I'd hate to see them force these kids stay in school for 2-3 years if they are talented enough to go make money.

    I'm selfish enough to admit that I don't want to see them go back to allowing kids to jump right to the NBA. I really enjoy watching that talent in college. Would I want them to stay longer than one year? Absolutely, but I don't want to force them more than one.

    That one year of college helps prepare them more I think and I'd be willing to bet a bigger % go back and work towards their degree later in life than those that used to jump directly.

  11. #176
    BlueTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 11
    Posts
    1,166

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Booker is going to really benefit from the NBA game IMO. Give him a team with a good PG and who knows how to space well and he will light it up.
    Exactly. He can score off screens or off the dribble. I thought he was a big matchup advantage for UK vs. Wisconsin and Cal should have gone back to him down the stretch.

  12. #177
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,201

    If they tried to force kids to stay 2 years, I think you'd see more high profile kids either go overseas straight out of high school or after that first year.

  13. #178
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,868

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    If they tried to force kids to stay 2 years, I think you'd see more high profile kids either go overseas straight out of high school or after that first year.
    I think the same thing @Walter. Especially the ones who don't come from great homes/backgrounds. For some, that money is there way to help their families and need it as soon as they can.

  14. #179
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTip View Post
    Exactly. He can score off screens or off the dribble. I thought he was a big matchup advantage for UK vs. Wisconsin and Cal should have gone back to him down the stretch.
    He couldn't, he was getting roasted on defense.

  15. #180
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,546

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    On the rule change, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like it right where it is. I'd hate to see them force these kids stay in school for 2-3 years if they are talented enough to go make money.

    I'm selfish enough to admit that I don't want to see them go back to allowing kids to jump right to the NBA. I really enjoy watching that talent in college. Would I want them to stay longer than one year? Absolutely, but I don't want to force them more than one.

    That one year of college helps prepare them more I think and I'd be willing to bet a bigger % go back and work towards their degree later in life than those that used to jump directly.
    I am not sure there is much proof that supports going to college for 0 years, 1 year, or 4 years enhances a persons career or character. If you are good enough to play, you are good enough to play. If you are a good guy, you are a good guy. Some exceptions apply and valuable lessons can be taken from the college experience. LeBron James never went to college, he is a bright guy that gets it. Aaron Hernandez went to college for 3 seasons and we will hear back any time now if he has been convicted of murder.

    The earning potential years for these folks is AT BEST 20 years. In those cases you are really darn good, or committed to being a solid player around the globe. The majority of these guys are around a handful of years. I would love for someone to make these folks who think kids should be forced to go to college for 1-4 years be presented with an opportunity to earn money for 20 years, but also told we want them to be withheld for up to 4 years from earning to play the "everybody needs to go to college" game. We, in America, don't know any better because college acts as a minor league system, but it is so messed up when compared to our contemporaries.

Top