Who Replaces Rick Pitino Next Season?

Page 12 of Originally Posted by LRCW Yet Pitino has a better winning percentage than Crum at Louisville. Yet he has accomplished less than Crum did Advertisement ... 225 comments | 11725 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #166
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,335

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Was Tressel fired for the tattoos and merchandise or lying to his AD about it?
    Both. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. But the crime and cover-up pales in comparison to this fiasco, imo. I am not really debating the merits of my statement, it is simply the truth. Generally speaking, college basketball coaches are more insulated and protected than their football contemporaries by institutions and the media. If you've had any shred of success, you can putz along with 8-12 losses in a season and be fine. Have a bad year? All can be erased by a good match-up or two in the NCAA tournament and suddenly you are in the highly coveted "Sweet 16." In football at a good school, string together multiple 9-11 win seasons with a random bowl win scattered in there and you are brushing up a resume.

    Let's compare Tubby vs. Gene Chizik. Both essentially won titles upon arrival. Tubby regressed and was ultimately forced out a decade after his run, Chizik is gone 1 1/2 years later.
    Advertisement

  2. #167

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,950

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Both. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. But the crime and cover-up pales in comparison to this fiasco, imo. I am not really debating the merits of my statement, it is simply the truth. Generally speaking, college basketball coaches are more insulated and protected than their football contemporaries by institutions and the media. If you've had any shred of success, you can putz along with 8-12 losses in a season and be fine. Have a bad year? All can be erased by a good match-up or two in the NCAA tournament and suddenly you are in the highly coveted "Sweet 16." In football at a good school, string together multiple 9-11 win seasons with a random bowl win scattered in there and you are brushing up a resume.

    Let's compare Tubby vs. Gene Chizik. Both essentially won titles upon arrival. Tubby regressed and was ultimately forced out a decade after his run, Chizik is gone 1 1/2 years later.
    The one thing with Tubby is he did get the team back on the right track again and number one overall seed a few times. He honestly didn't do a bad job at UK at all until his last two years and there was no indication that it was going to get better either. Chizik won with a great offense and then he lost his OC and I think it became clear to them that the OC who is now the head coach was the big reason for the success.

  3. #168
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season

  4. #169
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,335

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    The one thing with Tubby is he did get the team back on the right track again and number one overall seed a few times. He honestly didn't do a bad job at UK at all until his last two years and there was no indication that it was going to get better either. Chizik won with a great offense and then he lost his OC and I think it became clear to them that the OC who is now the head coach was the big reason for the success.
    Never said he did a bad job. The point is there is a different standard and level of accountability held between football and basketball coaches. That is pretty well known.

  5. #170

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,950

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Never said he did a bad job. The point is there is a different standard and level of accountability held between football and basketball coaches. That is pretty well known.
    I know, I am bored at work and trying to find something to discuss here on bgp. It's been a slow day on bgp lol.

  6. #171

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season
    Let's not forget that UL owes him a fortune if they fire him. If he survived the public disgrace of Karen Sypher, no way this is worse than that. Stick around, make that cash and if they decide to fire you for cause you've got a lawyers dream to fight that case.

  7. #172

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    1,755

    Pitino is there as long as he wants to be....

  8. #173

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Posts
    342

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season
    Well, be stunned, he's not going anywhere. Jurich one of the best AD's in the country if not the best - he will figure out a way to keep him - only way he goes is if it is proven that he knew about it and most believe that to be very unlikely. Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.

  9. #174

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,632

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmitt View Post
    Well, be stunned, he's not going anywhere. Jurich one of the best AD's in the country if not the best - he will figure out a way to keep him - only way he goes is if it is proven that he knew about it and most believe that to be very unlikely. Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.
    Benched them for most of their first season and lose to UK.

  10. #175
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,932

    I thought he was gone.

    I don't think so anymore.

  11. #176

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    It's become clear to me that RP will do whatever he wants. No one in the administration has what it takes to do anything to him. Once again, if he can survive Sypher, he can survive hookers.

  12. #177

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    282

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I thought he was gone.

    I don't think so anymore.
    This is how I feel.

    If you would have asked me 2 months ago I would have bet everything that he was gone. Now I think he goes only if he chooses to.

    Pitino is one of the best coaches in the country no doubt, but there is a lot going on at UofL and the basketball coach is not the most important issue right at this moment IMO.

  13. #178

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    1,708

    With the departure of Ramsey nobody really knows how the new President will handle this situation. Money talks at any university and when board members start to publicly question a coach, who knows what will happen. I'm guessing that Jurich and Pitino both stay or they both move on.

  14. #179
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,413

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmitt View Post
    Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.
    At a school like Louisville, which probably ranks somewhere between the 7th and 10th best programs in the country, why isn't he getting better players? Why is he having to do more with less?

  15. #180

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,425

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I thought he was gone.

    I don't think so anymore.
    I hope this is true. If he stays (or plans to stay), I think Onuaku stays. They could be very good next season.

    Of course, things beyond his control (i.e., the NCAA) could intervene. In fact, even if he wants to stay, what does he tell Onuaku if he thinks there COULD be a 2017 postseason ban? Tough question to answer.

Top