What has happened to the ACC teams?

Page 4 of Heard all year, just how powerful their conference is. North Carolina is the lone remaining team, if not for some questionable calls down the stretch, ... 53 comments | 997 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    15,394

    I suppose if there's one reason for bringing this discussion up for me, it goes back to 2015.

    The Cats were beaten on this site by many when they finally lost because the SEC did not prepare them for the rigors of the NCAA and playing difficult teams like Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

    But here we are in 2017 and its the ACC teams losing in the early rounds. Did their conference not prepare them for playing difficult teams?

    Of course it did. It just happens. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. But don't bash the SEC (deservedly so most times) and then not expect some reciprocation from others when the "worm turns."
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    824

    It's no different than people pulling for high school teams from the same region to do well in the state tournament (not all do, but most do).

    I have no problem with it.

  3. #48
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    82,401

    I haven't read a single post in this thread and don't plan to. The ACC was the strongest conference this season top to bottom. In a one and done situation game flow and matchups determine the winner of the game. In the NCAA tournament this year it was a perfect storm of both for the ACC. It happens. The results of one and done games don't determine conference strength for me.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    8,732

    Didn't all the second place teams in the ACC finish 12-6 in league? That's solid, considering the strength of the conference, but it does not say "elite" to me.

  5. #50
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,904

    Until they start handing out trophies for best conference this whole argument is ridiculous.

  6. #51
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    37,775

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Until they start handing out trophies for best conference this whole argument is ridiculous.
    I love you Grant, but how many times do you want to go around in circles about this subject? Your mind is made and not going to be persuaded.

  7. #52
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,904

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    I love you Grant, but how many times do you want to go around in circles about this subject? Your mind is made and not going to be persuaded.
    The stubbornness goes both ways. Haha

  8. #53
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    20,874

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I haven't read a single post in this thread and don't plan to. The ACC was the strongest conference this season top to bottom. In a one and done situation game flow and matchups determine the winner of the game. In the NCAA tournament this year it was a perfect storm of both for the ACC. It happens. The results of one and done games don't determine conference strength for me.
    That brings up a great question. What exactly does determine a great conference if how they perform in a national tournament isn't what is used as a gauge? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious to what people think determines whether a conference is strong or not.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    9,273

    I saw a good explanation on the strength of a conference on Mike and Mike this morning. Saying that in football a lot of the times how a conference does in bowl games is looked at how strong the conference really is. Which in football the bowl games are not as important because now unless you are one of the 4 teams in the playoffs a lot teams its not that big of deal that the conference is more important during the season. However in basketball the strength of a conference is and should be focused on during the tournament when teams play teams from other conferences.

Top