What has happened to the ACC teams?

Page 2 of Heard all year, just how powerful their conference is. North Carolina is the lone remaining team, if not for some questionable calls down the stretch, ... 64 comments | 1962 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,211

    A couple were maybe seeded too high, but for the most part they just had a bad weekend. They were still easily the best conference this season and one weekend or one game doesn't really change that in my opinion.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,098

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The real question is why do so many people care about conference affiliation? Why does it matter?
    It really doesn't matter to me at all, but I'm guessing because ESPN rams it down people's throats. The same way they do SEC in football.

  3. #18
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,219

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The real question is why do so many people care about conference affiliation? Why does it matter? If UNC wins this year does it redeem the ACC teams that lost early and validate their dominance? Or do you view it how it should be, that UNC was just really good and they played and beat a lot of really good teams on the way to the title?
    If UNC wins it redeems nothing. Just as if UK wins it doesn't redeem the SEC. The reason so many talk about the conference is because we were told all year long how bad the SEC was and how great the ACC was. I don't think either was great. I think UNC is one of the best teams in the country and the rest of the ACC was pretty evenly matched among other teams in the ACC. But when you fail to play good teams out of conference you can't convince me the ACC teams are great and the conference is great. UNC and Louisville stepped up a little out of conference for playing UK, while Duke played the Thomas Mores of College Basketball.

  4. #19
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    19,746

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The real question is why do so many people care about conference affiliation? Why does it matter? If UNC wins this year does it redeem the ACC teams that lost early and validate their dominance? Or do you view it how it should be, that UNC was just really good and they played and beat a lot of really good teams on the way to the title?
    I think most of it comes from the SEC being slammed most years by the National sports media and opinion boards. It's a defensive gesture. That's why it matters, at least it does to SEC fans.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,319

    Thrilled that the SEC is doing so well, yet not overly confident that they will have an elite 8 team. One could argue that Florida has the best chance of advancing, followed by South Carolina, then Kentucky. Also, if not for the bonehead (lost on time/score) play by Vandy, the SEC could have had an even better mark. Overall a very pleasant surprise for SEC basketball.

  6. #21
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,189

    The ACC got SECed

  7. #22
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,500

    Can't speak for the rest of the league, but I don't think it's surprising to note that this Louisville team had some flaws that came home to roost in that Michigan game.

    They take bad shots on occasion. They occasionally get turned around on defense in a way recent Louisville teams haven't. They lose focus on the easy ones and miss layups. They panic when a lead starts to slip and do more of all the stuff listed above.

    In the end, this team had more in common with the 2006-07 Cardinals than I think most of us wanted to admit. Really good during the regular season but had flaws that were exposed when they traveled away from home and ultimately not good enough to get to the second weekend in a tough game. The next two years (though they didn't result in Final Fours) were very good for Louisville. We'll see if this experience -- and depending on who returns -- translates into a successful 2017-18.

    I think a lot of the ACC squads had similar problems that we were prepared to gloss over in preparation. Last year the league was phenomenally good in tournament play. Maybe let that interfere with our collective judgment.

  8. #23
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    4,784

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Can't speak for the rest of the league, but I don't think it's surprising to note that this Louisville team had some flaws that came home to roost in that Michigan game.

    They take bad shots on occasion. They occasionally get turned around on defense in a way recent Louisville teams haven't. They lose focus on the easy ones and miss layups. They panic when a lead starts to slip and do more of all the stuff listed above.

    In the end, this team had more in common with the 2006-07 Cardinals than I think most of us wanted to admit. Really good during the regular season but had flaws that were exposed when they traveled away from home and ultimately not good enough to get to the second weekend in a tough game. The next two years (though they didn't result in Final Fours) were very good for Louisville. We'll see if this experience -- and depending on who returns -- translates into a successful 2017-18.

    I think a lot of the ACC squads had similar problems that we were prepared to gloss over in preparation. Last year the league was phenomenally good in tournament play. Maybe let that interfere with our collective judgment.
    UofL lost to a really damn good team. That's all it is.

  9. #24
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    4,784

    Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    Thrilled that the SEC is doing so well, yet not overly confident that they will have an elite 8 team. One could argue that Florida has the best chance of advancing, followed by South Carolina, then Kentucky. Also, if not for the bonehead (lost on time/score) play by Vandy, the SEC could have had an even better mark. Overall a very pleasant surprise for SEC basketball.
    This kind of post frustrates me. Why does it matter to you how the rest of the SEC does? I mean yesterday it was easy to root for Arkansas and SC because they played Carolina and Duke, but to me the fact that they are SEC teams are completely irrelevant.

  10. #25
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,500

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    UofL lost to a really damn good team. That's all it is.
    I won't deny that. They were red-hot coming into the tournament too.

    But it was a game Louisville had every opportunity to win that they didn't. Michigan hit shots at the big moments. Louisville didn't. And that's something we've seen before this season from the Cardinals.

    That's all I was saying.

  11. #26
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    4,784

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I think most of it comes from the SEC being slammed most years by the National sports media and opinion boards. It's a defensive gesture. That's why it matters, at least it does to SEC fans.
    I understand that and I'm the first to criticize the sports media for cramming that garbage down our throats year round, but in reality the SEC was devoid of a decent team all year outside of UK and Florida. But the fact that 2 games against UNC and Duke can change that is just as ridiculous as the ACC praising that would have came had Duke and UNC blown out Arkansas and SC by 25 points. I just wish when we discussed teams we had a better way to judge them based on merit instead of trying to justify our opinion based on conferences which are largely something they have no control over.

  12. #27
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,131

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    This kind of post frustrates me. Why does it matter to you how the rest of the SEC does? I mean yesterday it was easy to root for Arkansas and SC because they played Carolina and Duke, but to me the fact that they are SEC teams are completely irrelevant.
    I see a lot of people say this.

    Why does it frustrate you that people believe in conference affiliations?

    Why do you care that people do, just because you don't?

    I'm not pointing at you specifically, just asking in general, because there are a number of people who get upset by the people who enjoy conference affiliation. Who cares?

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    1,665

    Why is pulling for teams in a particular conference such an issue. No different than pulling for a particular region at the high school level. Go SEC.

  14. #29
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    4,784

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    I see a lot of people say this.

    Why does it frustrate you that people believe in conference affiliations?

    Why do you care that people do, just because you don't?

    I'm not pointing at you specifically, just asking in general, because there are a number of people who get upset by the people who enjoy conference affiliation. Who cares?
    It frustrates me because people use it to justify their opinion on a team instead by their merits. I just don't understand rooting for or against a conference instead of individual teams. Like the SEC doesn't play football, the schools do. The ACC doesn't play basketball, schools do. You mentioned believing in conference affiliations, what is there to believe in? It's just a group of schools who have agreed to play sports against each other. Judging conferences based on merit when they formed due to geographics and money is absolutely foolish to me.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,319

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    This kind of post frustrates me. Why does it matter to you how the rest of the SEC does? I mean yesterday it was easy to root for Arkansas and SC because they played Carolina and Duke, but to me the fact that they are SEC teams are completely irrelevant.
    I am an SEC fan, pure and simple. I root for them in football, basketball, baseball, softball etc......It really doesnt matter if you have an opinion on this.

Top