UCLA 79 Cincinnati 67

  1. #1
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    60,684

    UCLA 79 Cincinnati 67

    Final
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders, will soon be forgotten.
    Posts
    19,182

    UC hung in there for most of the game but just too much talent for UCLA.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    18,456

    UC played hard. This is a game where UC not being in a better conference hurt imo. UCLA plays at such a fast up and down pace, UC hasn't played anyone close to what they do. It's hard to play against. They did the same thing to UK the first time. Hopefully UK has better luck this second time.

    Great season by UC.

  4. #4
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    69,291

    Really impressive 2nd half for UCLA. Ball stole the show.

    Solid season for UC. 30 wins aint bad.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    8,446

    Nice season for the Bearcats.

  6. #6
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    25,984

    Very good season for UC. Bad seeding had them playing a team they should not have faced in round 2. The committee messed up on seeding this year IMO.

    For example, Florida St. and UC are about even in my eyes. FSU got a 3 seed. UC got a 6. Yes, FSU had a lot of top 50 wins because the ACC was ranked so high, but FSU also had two bad losses and UC had none. Close enough between the two that there should not be a 3 seed separation.

  7. #7
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    69,291

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Very good season for UC. Bad seeding had them playing a team they should not have faced in round 2. The committee messed up on seeding this year IMO.

    For example, Florida St. and UC are about even in my eyes. FSU got a 3 seed. UC got a 6. Yes, FSU had a lot of top 50 wins because the ACC was ranked so high, but FSU also had two bad losses and UC had none. Close enough between the two that there should not be a 3 seed separation.
    There wasn't much UC could do. That conference was so bad. The loss late in the season ruined any chance of them getting anything above a 5 IMO.

  8. #8
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    25,984

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    There wasn't much UC could do. That conference was so bad. The loss late in the season ruined any chance of them getting anything above a 5 IMO.
    Minnesota and Iowa St. should not have been seeded higher than UC. That gets them to a 5. I agree, hard to get them to a 4 seed because the conference didn't get them enough top 50/100 wins.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    1,114

    Have said it for years: UC teams coached by Mick Cronin never going to go very far in the postseason. He just doesn't have it. Bearcats will have to have a coaching change if they ever want to break the cycle.

  10. #10
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    4,847

    Great season Bearcats.

  11. #11
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,021

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Have said it for years: UC teams coached by Mick Cronin never going to go very far in the postseason. He just doesn't have it. Bearcats will have to have a coaching change if they ever want to break the cycle.
    They just lost to what could end up being the eventual national champion with arguably the best player in college basketball and you get on here and post this garbage? Give UC any other 6 seed's draw and they are still playing next week end.

    UCLA should have been a 2 seed at worst with UC likely a 5 seed if the committee seeds both properly. This loss had ZERO to do with coaching. Simply beat by a better and more talented team who shot over 60% in the second half with 11 3's for the game.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    1,114

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    They just lost to what could end up being the eventual national champion with arguably the best player in college basketball and you get on here and post this garbage? Give UC any other 6 seed's draw and they are still playing next week end.

    UCLA should have been a 2 seed at worst with UC likely a 5 seed if the committee seeds both properly. This loss had ZERO to do with coaching. Simply beat by a better and more talented team who shot over 60% in the second half with 11 3's for the game.
    Why is it garbage? Mick-led teams have been doing this in the tourney for years. It's probably personal if you are a UC fan, but for someone looking at them from the outside, it's chronic underachievement.

  13. #13
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,885

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Have said it for years: UC teams coached by Mick Cronin never going to go very far in the postseason. He just doesn't have it. Bearcats will have to have a coaching change if they ever want to break the cycle.
    They need out of that crappy conference more than a coaching change. Might need both.

  14. #14
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,885

    UC had a great season and shouldn't hang their heads over this one.

  15. #15
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,021

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Why is it garbage? Mick-led teams have been doing this in the tourney for years. It's probably personal if you are a UC fan, but for someone looking at them from the outside, it's chronic underachievement.
    Exactly what have they been doing in the tourney? They have lost to better teams for the most part. If you want to call 30 wins (second most in program history) and a second round loss to a 30 win UCLA team underachieving, then we obviously have different opinions of "underachieving."

    But since Mick's teams consistently underachieve, let's take a look at his post season results:

    2011: 6 seed
    #6 UC 78 #11 Missouri 63
    #3 UConn 69 #6 UC 58
    UConn went on to win the national championship

    2012: 6 seed
    #6 UC 65 #11 Texas 59
    #6 UC 62 #3 Florida State 56
    #2 Ohio State 81 #6 UC 66
    Ohio State beat #1 Cuse in the Region final to advance to the Final 4 before losing by 2 to Kansas.

    2013: 10 seed
    #7 Creighton 67 #10 Cincinnati 63
    Creighton was led by lottery pick, Doug McDermott

    2014: 5 seed
    #12 Harvard 61 #5 UC 57

    2015: 8 seed
    #8 UC 66 #9 Purdue 65
    #1 Kentucky 64 #8 UC 51
    In case you forgot, this was an undefeated final 4 UK team with 8 future pros.

    2016: 9 seed
    #8 St Josephs 78 #9 UC 76
    St Joe was led by Deandre Bembry...1st round #21 pick..this was the game where Ellis dunk at the buzzer to send it to OT was waved off.

    2017: 6 seed
    #6 UC 75 #11 Kansas State 61
    #3 UCLA 79 #6 UC 67

    So in 7 tournament appearances, Mick is 5-7 with just ONE LOSS to a team that was a lower seed and 3 of those losses coming to final 4 teams (UCLA still TBD). I wouldn't exactly call that underachieving considering the teams he has lost to in the tournament.

Top