Theoretical Prediction: If Pitino stayed at Kentucky how many titles do they have?

Page 2 of Simple: If Pitino never left UK and was still the coach, how many titles would UK have? 8? 9? 10? 11? More?... 55 comments | 1393 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: How many titles for Pitino at UK?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7

    2 9.52%
  • 8

    3 14.29%
  • 9

    3 14.29%
  • 10

    9 42.86%
  • 11+

    4 19.05%
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,318

    Tubby's in game ability now has him coaching in the same league he started in and fading. This guy has made a ton of money off of the 1 team that Rick left him. Sorry, just not a fan of the Tubster
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    Tubby's in game ability now has him coaching in the same league he started in and fading. This guy has made a ton of money off of the 1 team that Rick left him. Sorry, just not a fan of the Tubster
    When you can't recruit the players it's hard to win.

  3. #18
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,002

    I have all the love and respect in the world for Tubby Smith! He represented BBN well during his tenure and brought no shame to the program upon his departure. Whether it was "his" team or not, he also gave us a national championship!

  4. #19
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    40,571

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I've always felt that Tubby guided that team in a way I think was different than what Rick would have. And I think it worked. I've always felt Tubby was a great coach, but he just didn't have the touch as a recruiter. That 98 team was a perfect mix where he had a team with the right talent that he could guide.
    The players have said as much, the ones that will talk about it all say they don't think they would have won in 98 under Rick. Which shows just how fragile a championship run really is. Everything has to match up perfectly for that moment in time.

  5. #20
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    40,571

    If Rick stays he has to win two more just to make up for Tubby's and Cal's, that would give him 3 titles at UK.

    If he wins another one during the Tubby/Billy time frame then you are looking at 4 for Rick. If one of those had derailed a Duke title, then we are looking at Pitino being head to head with 4 apiece with Coach K.

    Rick is a great coach, a hall of fame coach and will go down in history as one of the best. If he hadn't went to the Celtics, he possibly could be in the discussion as best ever with K.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    If Rick stays he has to win two more just to make up for Tubby's and Cal's, that would give him 3 titles at UK.

    If he wins another one during the Tubby/Billy time frame then you are looking at 4 for Rick. If one of those had derailed a Duke title, then we are looking at Pitino being head to head with 4 apiece with Coach K.

    Rick is a great coach, a hall of fame coach and will go down in history as one of the best. If he hadn't went to the Celtics, he possibly could be in the discussion as best ever with K.
    Agreed. I think ego cost him more titles. His Ego got him to leave UK and that has been the worst move he's made.

  7. #22
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    59,244

    I don't believe Kentucky would have any more or less than they do now....I guess that means Pitino would have 3 total at Kentucky.

  8. #23
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,858

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.
    Well being a non-UK fan I think my opinion is fairly unbiased here. Rick came in at a severely low point in UK history while they were on probation. It was going to take time to have some success and I think by all measures he had success probably quicker than many thought he would. So really nothing in my opinion can or should be held against him his first couple of years, and saying he only won 1 title while he was here is being pretty unjust when you look at the situation he came into.

    As for the original question, Pitino probably wins a couple more tiles at least. I always thought and still think Rick is the better coach, and if he could have recruited anywhere close to what Cal has the past few years, then UK would be looking at 10+ very possibly.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    15,826

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.
    True. To be honest it was a perfect storm that lead him away from UK, IMO. Reaching the Title game and almost winning a consecutive title with that wounded team probably made him feel "bored" with the challenge somewhat and then a traditional Celtic team provided the greatest challenge to his Ego. I never begrudged him leaving when he did.

    As to the "run." I don't measure in titles alone. It was the way the Cats went from the dregs of probation to being part of the conversation of contender so fast. The run was spectacular.

    1991 SEC Champs with a close loss to UNC and Big win over Kansas who made the Final Four.

    1992 Final Eight and one play from the Final Four.

    1993 Final Four and a break away from the title game.

    1994 Let down in Round of 32.

    1995 Bad game from the Final Four and owning a win over the Runners Up.

    1996 Enough said.

    1997 One Overtime away from winning consecutive National Titles with a team that featured Jared Prickett and Cameron Mills in key roles.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    1,638

    To think that Pitino would've won even 1 out of every 3 championships is absurd. IMO

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Posts
    1,053

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Simple: If Pitino never left UK and was still the coach, how many titles would UK have? 8? 9? 10? 11? More?
    I don't think he would have won any, because I sure as hell hope the UK administration would have gotten rid of him for all the dumb things he did. How Louisville kept him on is beyond me.

  12. #27
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,006

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.
    Different dynamic with one and done though. Difficult to compare the two.

  13. #28
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders, will soon be forgotten.
    Posts
    19,466

    10.

  14. #29
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,882

    More than Cal.

  15. #30
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    4,470

    Quote Originally Posted by FRONT OF THE RIM View Post
    I don't think he would have won any, because I sure as hell hope the UK administration would have gotten rid of him for all the dumb things he did. How Louisville kept him on is beyond me.
    Anything Pitino has done at Louisville is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Top