Should Rick Pitino go to prison?

Page 3 of If not Pitino who? 0 0 0    ... 92 comments | 3788 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,044

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Don't involve me in this, mister.
    The real mastermind behind it all. WWW and RP.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,261

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    All I did was ask a question.

    You obviously say no to Pitino, fine, if not Pitino, who?
    The ten people they charged with a crime yesterday

  3. #33
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Anyone who took a bribe, and there are at least 2 of them.
    Anyone who received monies, regardless of why and from whom, and didn't report the income, and we KNOW there are going to be oodles of them.

    That is a good group to start with.
    It sounds to me like you are describing a criminal conspiracy.

    Someone has to direct/lead/be in charge of that criminal conspiracy.

    Until someone proves otherwise the person in charge has to be the head basketball coach of any given school because that is the one and only person who decides which players receive scholarships (and in this case) which players receive money.

  4. #34
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,291

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    It sounds to me like you are describing a criminal conspiracy.

    Someone has to direct/lead/be in charge of that criminal conspiracy.

    Until someone proves otherwise the person in charge has to be the head basketball coach of any given school because that is the one and only person who decides which players receive scholarships (and in this case) which players receive money.
    So you're saying Rick Pitino knew the players were receiving money?

  5. #35
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    It sounds to me like you are describing a criminal conspiracy.

    Someone has to direct/lead/be in charge of that criminal conspiracy.

    Until someone proves otherwise the person in charge has to be the head basketball coach of any given school because that is the one and only person who decides which players receive scholarships (and in this case) which players receive money.
    The school offering a kid a scholarship isn't an issue. Now, if you have a tapped phone conversation between Pitino and "Alex Anyone" at XYZ Shoe Company saying "give that guy's parents $50,000 so he commits to UL", than you have an issue. Beside that, the schools, to date, haven't been proven in any way to have been involved in this. This is about the influence of 3rd parties, the monies moved around, and the lack of anyone paying taxes on them. No more, no less. The FBI isn't trying to clean up college basketball.

  6. #36
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    If I gave you $5,000 to eat at Subway every night for 30 days straight, and you didn't report that cash and pay taxes on it, what crime would I be in violation of? Or, if I give you $10,000 to influence you to send your son to WKU, what federal crime did I commit?
    Are you a Corporation?

  7. #37
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Are you a Corporation?
    No, I'm me. However, if Mike Allen, an incorporated Agent, gives you $10,000 to tell your neighbor that Mike is a good guy and he should hire him, is that a crime?

  8. #38
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    No, I'm me. However, if Mike Allen, an incorporated Agent, gives you $10,000 to tell your neighbor that Mike is a good guy and he should hire him, is that a crime?
    We are talking more than 10,000, right? That means it has to be reported to Uncle Sam.

  9. #39
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    The school offering a kid a scholarship isn't an issue. Now, if you have a tapped phone conversation between Pitino and "Alex Anyone" at XYZ Shoe Company saying "give that guy's parents $50,000 so he commits to UL", than you have an issue. Beside that, the schools, to date, haven't been proven in any way to have been involved in this. This is about the influence of 3rd parties, the monies moved around, and the lack of anyone paying taxes on them. No more, no less. The FBI isn't trying to clean up college basketball.
    I think you are missing the Elephant in the room.

    How does whoever is paying the money out decide who to pay it to?

  10. #40
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I think you are missing the Elephant in the room.

    How does whoever is paying the money out decide who to pay it to?
    I promise you on this issue, I'm not missing anything. How do you propose to prove that without phone conversations? He said, he said? "Alex Anyone" says "Rick Pitino told me to pay Billy Baller $100,000 to go commit to UL," Rick Pitino says, "I told them nothing, they probably paid Billy Baller so he'd sign with XYZ Shoe Company when he is out of UL". How are you going to prove that?

  11. #41
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    So you're saying Rick Pitino knew the players were receiving money?
    The only way I see around Rick Pitino not knowing it is if someone else was making the decision on which players Louisville signed to scholarships.

  12. #42
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    We are talking more than 10,000, right? That means it has to be reported to Uncle Sam.
    So what do you charge Mike Allen with, failure to provide a 1099?

  13. #43
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    I promise you on this issue, I'm not missing anything. How do you propose to prove that without phone conversations? He said, he said? "Alex Anyone" says "Rick Pitino told me to pay Billy Baller $100,000 to go commit to UL," Rick Pitino says, "I told them nothing, they probably paid Billy Baller so he'd sign with XYZ Shoe Company when he is out of UL". How are you going to prove that?
    You're acting like a Defense Attorney.

    Please answer this question for me, how does whoever is paying the money out decide who to pay it to?

  14. #44
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The only way I see around Rick Pitino not knowing it is if someone else was making the decision on which players Louisville signed to scholarships.
    Not every kid getting a UL basketball scholarship was funneled there by a shoe company.

  15. #45
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,138

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    So what do you charge Mike Allen with, failure to provide a 1099?
    I think it would be more like Federal Tax Evasion.

Top