Ohio State coach search

Page 3 of This is a pretty big job opening coming at a very odd time off year. So let's discuss the rumors and possible hire here.... 91 comments | 4985 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Snow says Archie, Sean Miller, and Mack are out.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    1) Chris Mack








    2) Everybody else

  3. #33
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    If it's true that Mack is out. That's a huge blow to OSU.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    If it's true that Mack is out. That's a huge blow to OSU.
    Of course, maybe he was never "in."

  5. #35
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,697

    1) Bob Huggins

    j/k

  6. #36
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,116

    Mack has a better situation at X...not leaving there for OSU. Only two jobs I could see him leaving for are UK and Lville.

    Wonder if Travis Steele would be an option or have any interest?

  7. #37
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Mack has a better current situation at X
    You left out an important part. Xavier right now is in fantastic shape. They are bringing in the greatest recruiting class in the history of the school, perennial tourney team, etc. but don't pretend Xavier has the same cache as Ohio State. Ohio State can obviously pay him way more than X, he can recruit on a higher level, the tradition is there, recent final 4 runs, etc. Basically the only reason not to take the OSU job is you will always be playing second fiddle. If Mack decides/ decided he isn't interested then it's because he wants to see this Xavier thing out because they still have a very, very good team going in to next year and he knows as long as he keeps winning there will be quite a few OSU caliber jobs available to him. But you are out somewhat delusional if you think the X job is on the same playing field as Ohio State.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,238

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You left out an important part. Xavier right now is in fantastic shape. They are bringing in the greatest recruiting class in the history of the school, perennial tourney team, etc. but don't pretend Xavier has the same cache as Ohio State. Ohio State can obviously pay him way more than X, he can recruit on a higher level, the tradition is there, recent final 4 runs, etc. Basically the only reason not to take the OSU job is you will always be playing second fiddle. If Mack decides/ decided he isn't interested then it's because he wants to see this Xavier thing out because they still have a very, very good team going in to next year and he knows as long as he keeps winning there will be quite a few OSU caliber jobs available to him. But you are out somewhat delusional if you think the X job is on the same playing field as Ohio State.
    For some coaches, the idea of going from #1 man on campus to #2 man on campus with a huge gap between the two may be too much for them regardless of the better program and more money. Is Mack that kind of guy? Not sure but some are.

  9. #39
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,116

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You left out an important part. Xavier right now is in fantastic shape. They are bringing in the greatest recruiting class in the history of the school, perennial tourney team, etc. but don't pretend Xavier has the same cache as Ohio State. Ohio State can obviously pay him way more than X, he can recruit on a higher level, the tradition is there, recent final 4 runs, etc. Basically the only reason not to take the OSU job is you will always be playing second fiddle. If Mack decides/ decided he isn't interested then it's because he wants to see this Xavier thing out because they still have a very, very good team going in to next year and he knows as long as he keeps winning there will be quite a few OSU caliber jobs available to him. But you are out somewhat delusional if you think the X job is on the same playing field as Ohio State.
    I get it, you're an OSU fan so you'll never admit someone like X is on an even playing field as OSU but they are much more relevant than OSU.

    OSU can get the top Ohio talent but they aren't recruiting nationally at the level X has.

    As far as conference goes, not much difference in the two. See Gavitt results as proof.

    X puts all of their money in to the basketball program and aren't competing with football. Better facilities and atmosphere than OSU.

    6 sweet 16 appearances going back to 2008, compared to 4 for OSU. (Ill let you include 07 if you want it to be one closer)

    Outside of making a final 4 run in 07 with Oden/Conley and 11/12 with one of the best classes to ever come through the state of Ohio (AOR group), what has OSU done that makes them a better spot than X??

    There's a reason OSU wants no part of playing X or UC on an annual basis.

    Could the right coach make them a really good program? Sure. A lot of resources in place to make that happen but lets not act like X doesn't have some of those same resources.

  10. #40
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I get it, you're an OSU fan so you'll never admit someone like X is on an even playing field as OSU but they are much more relevant than OSU.

    OSU can get the top Ohio talent but they aren't recruiting nationally at the level X has.

    As far as conference goes, not much difference in the two. See Gavitt results as proof.

    X puts all of their money in to the basketball program and aren't competing with football. Better facilities and atmosphere than OSU.

    6 sweet 16 appearances going back to 2008, compared to 4 for OSU. (Ill let you include 07 if you want it to be one closer)

    Outside of making a final 4 run in 07 with Oden/Conley and 11/12 with one of the best classes to ever come through the state of Ohio (AOR group), what has OSU done that makes them a better spot than X??

    There's a reason OSU wants no part of playing X or UC on an annual basis.

    Could the right coach make them a really good program? Sure. A lot of resources in place to make that happen but lets not act like X doesn't have some of those same resources.
    This has zero to do with me being an OSU fan. It's just facts. You can debate all you want about the level of the programs but any rational fan of X will admit to you that it wouldn't exactly be a slap in the face if Mack left for OSU. OSU can afford to pay 2 or 3 million dollars more a year than X can. OSU also has nicer facilities. There is no real debating that. The Cintas Center is very nice, but the Schott is better. Xavier has had some phenomenal fan support recently especially compared to OSU. But it's all about winning at both places. X has just won more the last few years than OSU has. Also it's a weak excuse to say OSU doesn't want to play X or UC. Is UK scared of them too? Because they don't play them either. Surely you aren't that naive. OSU and UK don't play X or UC because they have nothing to gain from it. Simple as that. Also you are out of your mind if you think X is recruiting on a more national level than OSU is. Ever heard of Jared Sullinger, Evan Turner, Deangelo Russell, Greg Oden, Mike Conley? X couldn't even get those players in the door much less commit.

  11. #41
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    For some coaches, the idea of going from #1 man on campus to #2 man on campus with a huge gap between the two may be too much for them regardless of the better program and more money. Is Mack that kind of guy? Not sure but some are.
    Exactly. Do you want to be a big fish in a small pond. Or an average fish in one of the oceans of college sports?

  12. #42
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,419

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I get it, you're an OSU fan so you'll never admit someone like X is on an even playing field as OSU but they are much more relevant than OSU.

    OSU can get the top Ohio talent but they aren't recruiting nationally at the level X has.

    As far as conference goes, not much difference in the two. See Gavitt results as proof.

    X puts all of their money in to the basketball program and aren't competing with football. Better facilities and atmosphere than OSU.

    6 sweet 16 appearances going back to 2008, compared to 4 for OSU. (Ill let you include 07 if you want it to be one closer)

    Outside of making a final 4 run in 07 with Oden/Conley and 11/12 with one of the best classes to ever come through the state of Ohio (AOR group), what has OSU done that makes them a better spot than X??

    There's a reason OSU wants no part of playing X or UC on an annual basis.

    Could the right coach make them a really good program? Sure. A lot of resources in place to make that happen but lets not act like X doesn't have some of those same resources.
    Ohio State is absolutely a better job than X IMO and I really like Xavier.

    They have unlimited resources.

    IMO Mack has no interest in Ohio State because he knows whenever any of the elite jobs open up he's going to be in the running. No need to leave for anything but one of those at this point.

  13. #43
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,697

    What does X pay Mack and what will OSU pay Mack? That probably will be the deciding factor.

    According to a couple of sources...

    Mack earned $1.42 million in 2017. Didn't place in the top 30 as per USAToday.

    Matta earned $3.37 million in 2015. 7th highest on the list per elevenwarriors.com

  14. #44
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Ohio State is absolutely a better job than X IMO and I really like Xavier.

    They have unlimited resources.

    IMO Mack has no interest in Ohio State because he knows whenever any of the elite jobs open up he's going to be in the running. No need to leave for anything but one of those at this point.
    Thank you. I think your last point definitely adds to the list of reasons why Mack would stay at X. But at least you are rational enough to realize that X doesn't compare to OSU. The only problem with Mack staying at X until an elite job opens, is he has no idea when one of those will even open. I would assume UofL would probably be the first, but I think even Pitino will be around for a little while longer.

  15. #45
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    What does X pay Mack and what will OSU pay Mack? That probably will be the deciding factor.

    According to a couple of sources...

    Mack earned $1.42 million in 2017. Didn't place in the top 30 as per USAToday.

    Matta earned $3.37 million in 2015. 7th highest on the list per elevenwarriors.com
    If OSU wanted Mack they would give him more money than Matta. He would probably crack the top 5.

Top