Ohio State coach search

Page 2 of This is a pretty big job opening coming at a very odd time off year. So let's discuss the rumors and possible hire here.... 91 comments | 4985 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    16,209

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Be a lot more fun if he went to UK instead lol.
    I'm glad I'm not the only crazy UK fan out there.

    Those were my first thoughts exactly.

    Narcissism: Thy name is KY Basketball!
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    16,209

    If the coach leaves is not any player or new recruit allowed out of their commitment?

  3. #18
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,697

    Dan Dakich, Dan Dakich - Wikipedia, seems to think Gene Smith already had his next coach in his pocket when he made the announcement regarding Matta. I don't know about that.

    He also said that the next Basketball coach need not worry about coaching at a football school with Urban Meyer as head coach. He said Meyer loves basketball and has always been a friend to the basketball program, even helps recruit.

  4. #19
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,177

    How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.

  5. #20
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,419

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.
    OSU fans would revolt if they went after Painter. Talk about a major step down.

  6. #21
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,466

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.
    Because he has nearly been fired twice. He isn't regarded as a great coach. Really good guy, but his career at Purdue has just been okay.

  7. #22
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,177

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Because he has nearly been fired twice. He isn't regarded as a great coach. Really good guy, but his career at Purdue has just been okay.
    I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.

  8. #23
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,419

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.
    Why would they want a guy that isn't capable of getting the talent necessary to win big? Like it or not but recruiting is a major factor in coaching.

  9. #24
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,466

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.
    He is at Purdue, one of the really good college basketball programs in America. The talent he gets is his job, and it isn't like he is recruiting kids to play at Po Dunk U. He has won 10 tourney games in 12 years....and he was very nearly fired after the 2013-14 season. He is a fine man, but just an okay coach, and there is a reason you never hear about him being the "hot name".

  10. #25
    Mr. Sixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Coalinga, CA
    Posts
    1,149

    This change is about 2.5 years overdue IMO. Matta's greatest class was the Thad 5 and frankly he hasn't done much since except for the run he had with Diebler and the subsequent loss to UK in the tourney. Good guy and becoming the all-time wins leader for the Buckeyes is great but there's been nothing done substantial for the last 3+ years.

    I personally like Billy Donovan who would bring instant credibility back to the program or Greg Marshall at Wichita State. Columbus isn't ready for Cronin lol but I would love him there as well. Whoever it is I can promise that Smith has already been talking to him as there is no committee being established.

  11. #26
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,177

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Why would they want a guy that isn't capable of getting the talent necessary to win big? Like it or not but recruiting is a major factor in coaching.
    My point being was maybe that's why he isn't mentioned, maybe he's not a great recruiter. I don't follow Purdue basketball or the Big 10 much in general so don't know the in's and out's, I just always thought he was a pretty good coach from what, admittedly little I have seen them through the years and got a lot out of the kids he has.

  12. #27
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,466

    Sean Miller remains VERY interested, in spite of Archie being at IU. I still think it is Shaka's to lose (too much makes sense for that hire), but Sean is in play.

  13. #28
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,419

    I would imagine Ohio State got some sort of confirmation from at least one potential replacement that they'd indeed take the job if it came open before they went ahead and parted ways with Matta.

    If Arizona or Texas opened up, gotta think Ayton or Bamba would reopen their recruitments, along with other signees.

  14. #29
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    87,993

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    Dan Dakich, Dan Dakich - Wikipedia, seems to think Gene Smith already had his next coach in his pocket when he made the announcement regarding Matta. I don't know about that.

    He also said that the next Basketball coach need not worry about coaching at a football school with Urban Meyer as head coach. He said Meyer loves basketball and has always been a friend to the basketball program, even helps recruit.
    Keep in mind Dakich and Urb are good friends from their time together at Bowling Green...

  15. #30
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    3,647

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    I would imagine Ohio State got some sort of confirmation from at least one potential replacement that they'd indeed take the job if it came open before they went ahead and parted ways with Matta.
    Considering the timing, I would agree. Can't really remember a high profile college basketball coach being fired this late in the year before.

Top