Northern Kentucky 97 Detroit Mercy 65

  1. #1
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    Northern Kentucky 97 Detroit Mercy 65

    NKU destroyed Detroit last night. NKU did have five players in double digits, led by Drew McDonald who had 20 points. The Norse has a very impressive 33 assists.

    McDonald grabbed his 1,000 career rebound within the first minute of the game. There are only 9 current 9-1 players to accomplish this and only 6 in the 40-year history of the Horizon League (Thanks to @NKUnorseMBB on Twitter)
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    Mike Davis seems to still have anger management issues on his kid absolutely has a green light. No wonder he averages 27 points a game.

  3. #3
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    NKU takes on Oakland tomorrow night at BB&T Arena at 7:00pm. Should be a large and rowdy crowd with it being Homecoming.

    Norse are still the top team in the conference, sitting at 9-3 in the Horizon League. 19-6 overall. They are the only team in the conference under 10 losses.

  4. #4
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,513

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Mike Davis seems to still have anger management issues on his kid absolutely has a green light. No wonder he averages 27 points a game.
    I had not seen the kid and obviously he is a talent; however, I was shocked at how small he is. Roster lists him at 6-1, but he visually he looked shorter to me. On top of that he doesn't weigh much. I thought he might be the rare Horizon one and done, but at that size, it is hard to imagine.

    Plus other than shoot he didn't do much else. No defense at all and I think the radio guys said he had 4 assists (coupled with quite a few turnovers).

    I expected more.

  5. #5
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,274

    Anyone have any idea what occurred at the very end of the game to cause Mike Davis to start yelling at the fans behind the Detroit bench and scorers table?

    The last 25-30 seconds of the game he was turned towards the stands yelling.

    He's still a giant horse's rear.

    His kid is decent, but is it really an accomplishment to score so many points when you shoot the ball 25-30 times a night?

  6. #6
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,513

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Anyone have any idea what occurred at the very end of the game to cause Mike Davis to start yelling at the fans behind the Detroit bench and scorers table?

    The last 25-30 seconds of the game he was turned towards the stands yelling.

    He's still a giant horse's rear.

    His kid is decent, but is it really an accomplishment to score so many points when you shoot the ball 25-30 times a night?
    Radio guys said that our fans were giving Davis the business and he responded "see you next year". Someone said that Davis responded with see you next year with some added colorful language tacked on.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,684

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Radio guys said that our fans were giving Davis the business and he responded "see you next year". Someone said that Davis responded with see you next year with some added colorful language tacked on.
    If Davis keeps losing like this, he may not be around next year.

  8. #8
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    729

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Radio guys said that our fans were giving Davis the business and he responded "see you next year". Someone said that Davis responded with see you next year with some added colorful language tacked on.
    I was sitting in that vicinity, and a few NKU fans should be embarrassed at themselves. If you wouldn't say something to a man's face on the sidewalk, don't yell it at them from a distance. Embarrassing behavior.

    The technical that he received for the shoe retrieval when he was behind the play was preposterous, in my opinion.

    His kid is under 6', I agree, and he does have the greenest of green lights. Heck, Ethan Snapp had less of a "go sign" when he played for his dad at Newport, and that was the greenest light I'd ever seen.

  9. #9
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    His kid is under 6', I agree, and he does have the greenest of green lights. Heck, Ethan Snapp had less of a "go sign" when he played for his dad at Newport, and that was the greenest light I'd ever seen.
    While their light were as green as they can get, that's an awful comparison. A D-1 coach in a decent conference giving his kid a huge green light vs a tiny school in KY, trying to ensure his kid plays at the next level.

    Mike Davis should be embarrassed at the offense he uses. A joke to real college basketball.

  10. #10
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    729

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    While their light were as green as they can get, that's an awful comparison. A D-1 coach in a decent conference giving his kid a huge green light vs a tiny school in KY, trying to ensure his kid plays at the next level.

    Mike Davis should be embarrassed at the offense he uses. A joke to real college basketball.
    Wow, such vitriol and unnecessary edge. I like Rod and Ethan, I was being flippant, sorry you took it the wrong way.

    You're a bit harsh on Mike Davis, he is a fine basketball coach with a better than solid record in his first year of a huge rebuild. He doesn't have a complete roster, so if his offense which so sets you off looks like this next year, feel free to pile on with more over-the-top rants.

  11. #11
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Wow, such vitriol and unnecessary edge. I like Rod and Ethan, I was being flippant, sorry you took it the wrong way.

    You're a bit harsh on Mike Davis, he is a fine basketball coach with a better than solid record in his first year of a huge rebuild. He doesn't have a complete roster, so if his offense which so sets you off looks like this next year, feel free to pile on with more over-the-top rants.
    Vitriol and edge? I just think the guy is a joke and letting your kid come down and just jack up threes as a Division 1 Coach is sad. It's no wonder he's continually taken steps backwards in his career.

  12. #12
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    729

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Vitriol and edge? I just think the guy is a joke and letting your kid come down and just jack up threes as a Division 1 Coach is sad. It's no wonder he's continually taken steps backwards in his career.
    You called a grown man a joke, and this job is decidedly better than the one he just had.

  13. #13
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,074

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    You called a grown man a joke, and this job is decidedly better than the one he just had.
    I don't think highly of him. Exhibit A, yelling obscenities into the stands at fans at the end of the game last night.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    358

    Good on NKU for winning. It's great to see in-state programs across the Commonwealth doing great.

    I do think Mike Davis will rebuild Detroit. He did a good job at Texas Southern and seems to be working his way back up after he worked his way down post-Indiana.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,728

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    The technical that he received for the shoe retrieval when he was behind the play was preposterous, in my opinion.
    The official took back the T for the shoe when he realized he was wrong. They explained the gaff to Davis and tried to put the ball back in play. Davis wouldn't stop complaining and was making a fool of himself. The officials gave him extra leeway because of their mistake but he just wouldn't stop.

    The technical was more than earned.

Top