Next Kentucky Coach After Cal?

Page 4 of I ask this because there isn't an easy answer. I am interested to see who everybody would want, minus Brad Stevens because he isn't coming. Advertiseme... 77 comments | 3959 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,400

    Quote Originally Posted by jvdfc View Post
    I'd take either one than a Bruce Pearl. No thanks.
    Scott Padgett has been a head coach for 4 years. Career record 57-75 (.432). This year (with a team he assembled entirely they are 10-21). Best finish in the Southern Conference 7th. I can see how you would like him to be Kentucky coach.

    At least Allen Edwards has a winning record in his 2 years 42-26. Currently 19-11 and in 6th place in the Mountain West.

    If you want to pick a coach out of the Southern Conference Steve Forbes would be the choice and if you want someone out of the Mountain West take Eric Musselman. To date Padgett and Edwards have done nothing.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,567

    My top two preferences would be either Brad Stevens or Jay Wright but it’s probably next to impossible to pull them away from their current situations. After them, Billy Donovan is the ideal choice IMO for many reasons. After that there are plenty of other good options but nothing truly stands out who I would think would be a no brainer. To echo what others have said, it will be difficult to follow Cal but if one could I think the 3 I mentioned could do it. However, only one of those options is truly realistic.

  3. #48
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,441

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Stopper View Post
    My top two preferences would be either Brad Stevens or Jay Wright but it’s probably next to impossible to pull them away from their current situations. After them, Billy Donovan is the ideal choice IMO for many reasons. After that there are plenty of other good options but nothing truly stands out who I would think would be a no brainer. To echo what others have said, it will be difficult to follow Cal but if one could I think the 3 I mentioned could do it. However, only one of those options is truly realistic.
    I don’t think Jay Wright is immovable from Nova, but I also don’t think he’s a good fit for UK.

  4. #49
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,944

    Chris Mack

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,567

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Chris Mack
    I’d actually like him as well however I don’t think things would be a smooth transition if he was hired after Cal. If we can’t get the previous three I mentioned he would be by #1 target.

  6. #51
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,441

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Chris Mack
    He isn’t leaving UofL for UK...

  7. #52
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,944

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    He isn’t leaving UofL for UK...
    I dont think he goes to UofL.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,220

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Except an X and O coach isn't able to recruit the caliber of players at Kentucky & Duke because they don't want to play "pure basketball". Which basically means they don't want to play an old and outdated version of basketball.
    I guess it is a matter of taste.

    I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

    Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,220

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Until he makes the tournament....Then he falls flat on his face every. single. year.
    He has coached at Washington State and Virginia. These are not basketball juggernauts.

    Making 3 NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteens and winning over 70% of his games at these schools is not "falling flat on his face".

  10. #55
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,441

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I dont think he goes to UofL.
    I think it’s a very strong possibility.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,856

    Quote Originally Posted by strongopenyon View Post
    I guess it is a matter of taste.

    I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

    Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by strongopenyon View Post
    He has coached at Washington State and Virginia. These are not basketball juggernauts.

    Making 3 NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteens and winning over 70% of his games at these schools is not "falling flat on his face".
    Bennett falls right in line with the great, good, drunk pattern of coaches at uk. It takes a special kind of personality to do well here and be liked. Shoot most people even like Cal and still go crazy. When Tubby was here even in his good seasons people complained about how boring his system is. Bennett also imo wouldn't recruit at the level many people would want. Especially after the players Cal has got.

    He wouldn't do bad, but imo would be a lot like the Tubby years who I liked. Good but never really great and never really making UK that top place to be.

  12. #57
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,515

    Quote Originally Posted by strongopenyon View Post
    I guess it is a matter of taste.

    I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

    Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.
    You sort of implied in your initial post that Calipari wasn't an X & O guy, but now you're back tracking and saying he loves to play half court patterns and plays. So which is it?

    And I definitely agree with you. Calipari has a lot of different motion offenses that he puts in play which gives the players options. He doesn't seem to have as many just set plays. I prefer Cal's style of basketball, which is what most of the successful programs are using in 2018. I don't consider Tony Bennet's very successful because he hasn't accomplished anything.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,220

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    You sort of implied in your initial post that Calipari wasn't an X & O guy, but now you're back tracking and saying he loves to play half court patterns and plays. So which is it?

    And I definitely agree with you. Calipari has a lot of different motion offenses that he puts in play which gives the players options. He doesn't seem to have as many just set plays. I prefer Cal's style of basketball, which is what most of the successful programs are using in 2018. I don't consider Tony Bennet's very successful because he hasn't accomplished anything.
    Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

    Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.

  14. #59
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Quote Originally Posted by strongopenyon View Post
    Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

    Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.
    Let's put it another way. He hasn't accomplished anything that would remotely satisfy Kentucky basketball fans. Coaches are judged on Final Fours at Kentucky. Bennett hasn't shown anything close to the capability of getting to that stage as of yet.

  15. #60
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,515

    Quote Originally Posted by strongopenyon View Post
    Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

    Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.
    Making Sweet 16s might be worth something to most programs but when it comes to what is expected Kentucky, he hasn't accomplished anything.

    They only talk about regular season accomplishments when you have nothing better on your resume.

Top