Next Kentucky Coach After Cal?

Page 2 of I ask this because there isn't an easy answer. I am interested to see who everybody would want, minus Brad Stevens because he isn't coming. Advertiseme... 77 comments | 5115 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    1,283

    Not Bobby Hurley!!
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    359

    Billy Donovan would be my top choice and not even close- tough to lure him away from the NBA though.

  3. #18
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,111

    I don't think I'd be upset by Bruce Pearl. I like his charisma and personality.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,533

    A young up in coming coach.

  5. #20
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    69,364

    Billy Donovan, if you could get him away from the NBA.

    If not Donovan, Chris Mack, just because I want Deuce to be ticked.

  6. #21
    se7ens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    826

    Kevin Willard

  7. #22
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    16,065

    Rupp
    Hall
    Sutton
    Pitino
    Smith
    Gillispie
    Calipari

    The pattern seems to indicate that it'll be someone solid but under-appreciated in the grand scheme, followed by a drunk.

  8. #23
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    10,128

    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Rupp
    Hall
    Sutton
    Pitino
    Smith
    Gillispie
    Calipari

    The pattern seems to indicate that it'll be someone solid but under-appreciated in the grand scheme, followed by a drunk.
    That a good one!

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,655

    Maybe he sticks around long enough for Brad to get some experience?

    I feel like he would connect well with the youngsters with the chest tattoo.

  10. #25
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,111

    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Rupp
    Hall
    Sutton
    Pitino
    Smith
    Gillispie
    Calipari

    The pattern seems to indicate that it'll be someone solid but under-appreciated in the grand scheme, followed by a drunk.
    Should I polish up my resume to be the coach after the coach who follows Cal? lol jk. I do like beers though.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    641

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I don't think I'd be upset by Bruce Pearl. I like his charisma and personality.
    You would be 6 years after his hire when they’re under investigation. Be a fun first 5 years though!

  12. #27
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,035

    What about Scott Padgett (sp) or Allen Edwards? Just a thought.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,191

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    This is tough....

    Guy I would love, that most wouldn't want is Bruce Pearl. He's built for a job like Kentucky IMO.

    Off the top of my head list....

    Gregg Marshall
    Chris Holtmann
    Chris Mack (no chance, if he ends up at UL next season)
    Mike White
    Mark Few (highly unlikely)
    Danny Hurley
    Bobby Hurley
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Whoever is after Cal will have the deck stacked against them to say the least. They likely won't have the success recruiting and won't have the personality. Good luck to them.
    I would love to have Bruce Pearl too and I think he would do a good job here!

    With that said I would assume the earliest Cal leaves is in 2 years after Brad graduates. Which if that happens I think Billy Donovan would be the next coach. Duece is right whoever follows Cal would have a tough time. It would take a big name successful coach to have a shot.

    There was no way Donovan was going to leave Florida to go to another sec school. However I do think he would leave the NBA for UK depending where the Thunder are as contenders or not. If Paul George leaves and it's only Westbrook left. He will know he isn't winning a title there. I think he would only turn down UK this time if the Thunder is a true Championship contender when the UK job opened. If they are not, then I think he comes. Especially since Pitino is no longer in the state.

  14. #29
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,065

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I would love to have Bruce Pearl too and I think he would do a good job here!

    With that said I would assume the earliest Cal leaves is in 2 years after Brad graduates. Which if that happens I think Billy Donovan would be the next coach. Duece is right whoever follows Cal would have a tough time. It would take a big name successful coach to have a shot.

    There was no way Donovan was going to leave Florida to go to another sec school. However I do think he would leave the NBA for UK depending where the Thunder are as contenders or not. If Paul George leaves and it's only Westbrook left. He will know he isn't winning a title there. I think he would only turn down UK this time if the Thunder is a true Championship contender when the UK job opened. If they are not, then I think he comes. Especially since Pitino is no longer in the state.
    100%. Cal is for sure here another 2 years. OKC is not going to be set up to win a championship in that time unless something unforeseen happens. Very good chance the only guy left there is Russ. I'll go ahead and call my shot now. Billy Donavan will be the next UK Men's basketball coach. I don't think they even call anyone else unless they think it would be cute to send a feeler out to Brad Stevens.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    Stevens makes $3.5m per year while Cal makes $8m? Might not be to far fetched.

Top