Louisville Scandal: Big News Coming

Page 33 of I haven't posted anything on here yet. This is obviously horrible news for the players, supporters, and fans of Louisville. I feel horrible especially ... 490 comments | 19123 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #481
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    When you see Allegation No. 1 all laid out like that it's... not great.

    I think Nos. 2, 3, and 4 have fairly obvious paths to their conclusion, but No. 1 is the only one that gives me pause.
    Whew...allegation #1 does not read well at all. Reads more like a Penthouse forum letter, and not in a good way.
    Advertisement

  2. #482
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,116

    Jurich -- as always -- the sharpest guy in the room during this press conference. Using a lot of the language that will be key to Pitino's defense of Allegation No. 4: "McGee acted furtively", "actively hidden from Pitino", "ultimate secrecy kept"...

    The NCAA violation in this is what Pitino "should have known" in his capacity as head coach. His defense is that there was an active effort to conceal it from him, making it impossible for him to have known.

    Jurich and Smrt know the legal standards for these violations and just laid out Pitino's defense without directly stating it.

  3. #483

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    919

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Jurich -- as always -- the sharpest guy in the room during this press conference. Using a lot of the language that will be key to Pitino's defense of Allegation No. 4: "McGee acted furtively", "actively hidden from Pitino", "ultimate secrecy kept"...

    The NCAA violation in this is what Pitino "should have known" in his capacity as head coach. His defense is that there was an active effort to conceal it from him, making it impossible for him to have known.

    Jurich and Smrt know the legal standards for these violations and just laid out Pitino's defense without directly stating it.
    What Pitino did or did not know might not matter. Under the most recent NCAA enforcement legislation, enacted in 2014, a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of any and all staff members and can be held accountable for their violations, even if the coach is unaware. (according to espn.com)

  4. #484
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    This made me laugh:
    @Bluekel Pitino retakes the lead over Giuliani in 9/11 mentions

  5. #485
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,116

    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    What Pitino did or did not know might not matter. Under the most recent NCAA enforcement legislation, enacted in 2014, a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of any and all staff members and can be held accountable for their violations, even if the coach is unaware. (according to espn.com)
    The presumption is a rebuttable one and that's precisely the groundwork laid at the press conference today.

    The university's response to the initial notice of allegations will include all relevant details in their attempt to rebut the presumption.

    The word "presumed" is massively important because it means that head coaches cannot be held strictly liable for the actions of their subordinates, rather that they have to make a good case for themselves as to why they did not and should not have been able to know what was going on.

    As I said earlier, I think this is all mostly procedural and makes sure UofL stays involved in the process. Following the season, Pitino will ultimately receive a suspension and serve it.

  6. #486
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,280

    @Getslow could there be possible criminal charges for McGee since some of these players were minors during the visits?
    Is this even likely at this point?
    Do you think anyone will press this issue with the prosecutor in Jefferson County?

  7. #487

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,129

    Any prosecution is more likley against Ms. Powell in my opnion especially if there is probable cause that she pimped out underage girls including her daughter. If any crimes she may be charged with are felonies, remember that there is no statute of limitations in Kentucky on prosecuting felonies (one year on misdemeanors).
    ....I'm wondering why UL would not sit down with the NCAA and try to settle this thing right now. I doubt that any new "facts" will come out.

  8. #488
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,914

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    ....I'm wondering why UL would not sit down with the NCAA and try to settle this thing right now. I doubt that any new "facts" will come out.
    Just a guess, but if this were to be wrapped up in the near future, Pitino's probable suspension could happen this year. By not rushing it, the suspension will likely be at the beginning of the 2017-18 season.

  9. #489
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,116

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    @Getslow could there be possible criminal charges for McGee since some of these players were minors during the visits?
    Is this even likely at this point?
    Do you think anyone will press this issue with the prosecutor in Jefferson County?
    If a witness comes forward with serious evidence and basically presents him or herself to the police and starts spilling stuff, it could happen. I'll be shocked if anyone is conducting a significant investigation with the aim of pursuing charges without that happening first.

  10. #490

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,425

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    Even if the NCAA is neutral on the contest and just looks at it as a simple disagreement and reads noting into it, I think it's cherry pie time for the press. So, now I'm a reporter who loves to see UofL sweat. The very next press conference I go to, I'm asking Jurich, Pitino, whoever..."the "failure to monitor" portion of the finding is being disputed. So, am I to then deduce Mr. Jurich that you are saying Coach Pitino did indeed have the proper oversight of Coach McGee? And if in fact you do believe the oversight was adequate, does that not then suggest that Coach Pitino WAS AWARE of what was going on within the program and with Coach McGee"?

    I mean, you can't have it both ways, right? UofL can't claim the oversight was adequate, then claim Pitino had absolutely no knowledge of what was going on.
    Much to your obvious chagrin, the answer to that question, regardless of how many times it gets asked and who gets asked, is going to be "School policy is not to comment on pending investigations / appeals. Next question."

  11. #491

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,129

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Just a guess, but if this were to be wrapped up in the near future, Pitino's probable suspension could happen this year. By not rushing it, the suspension will likely be at the beginning of the 2017-18 season.
    I was thinking that as part of the settlement it could be stipulated that his suspension would begin on any date the parties agreed upon. But maybe the NCAA does not work that way.

Top