Lavone Holland - NKU Guard

  1. #1
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,546

    Lavone Holland - NKU Guard

    I know with NKU only being D-1 for a few years the scale is skewed recent, but is Lavone the best guard in NKU history? I think if I were drafting a team of all time NKU players, he would be my first pick among guards and likely my first pick overall.

    We will really miss that young man next year.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,797

    I'd have been really curious to see Steven Wright at NKU for four years of D-1.

    Really enjoyed watching Holland over the last few years.

  3. #3
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,546

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I'd have been really curious to see Steven Wright at NKU for four years of D-1.

    Really enjoyed watching Holland over the last few years.
    Good call on Wright.

  4. #4
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    I said it last year, and still believe it, Holland could play for the majority of D-1 programs.

    Definitely going to miss him, but Faulkner should be able to step into that starting PG role pretty well IMO.

  5. #5
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,982

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    I said it last year, and still believe it, Holland could play for the majority of D-1 programs.

    Definitely going to miss him, but Faulkner should be able to step into that starting PG role pretty well IMO.
    Mason or Trevon?

  6. #6
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Mason or Trevon?
    I could probably see either doing it, but I was speaking of Mason since he's got 2 years experience behind Holland.

    Speaking of them, are they brothers or cousins, or not related?

  7. #7
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,982

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    I could probably see either doing it, but I was speaking of Mason since he's got 2 years experience behind Holland.

    Speaking of them, are they brothers or cousins, or not related?
    Far as I know they aren’t related.

    Looks like Trevon has the height advantage. I’m interested in seeing if Trevon can earn some playing time next year. I was wondering how Mason was coming along though.

  8. #8
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Far as I know they aren’t related.

    Looks like Trevon has the height advantage. I’m interested in seeing if Trevon can earn some playing time next year. I was wondering how Mason was coming along though.
    In all honesty, I've been a little disappointed in Mason this season. IMO, he hasn't really shown much improvement from last season (could even argue he's somewhat regressed), but the return of Tate and the addition of Tyler Sharpe probably have a role in that.

    When he gets going though, look out. Dude can score a lot of points and in a hurry.

    I imagine Trevon will step in and play a nice role off the bench from the jump next season. They should be fairly deep once again next season.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    And now that I look at his stats, Mason has improved his shooting %'s across the board this season, so maybe it's more a matter of me having too lofty of expectations for him.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,074

    Mason scares me at point in the half court. Open it up and I'll take him all day.

    Lavonne certainly could play at a majority of D1 programs. He will definitely be missed.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    And now that I look at his stats, Mason has improved his shooting %'s across the board this season, so maybe it's more a matter of me having too lofty of expectations for him.
    I agree with you. Mason had a stretch of 6-8 games last year where he went from nothing to 15-25 every game. I think that skews the stats. He has definitely not picked up where he left off last year and he needs to take majors strides to take over the PG position next year.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Holland will go down as one of the all-time greats for NKU. He was the point guard and one of the main contributors on the first D1 team, conference champion, MVP of conference tourney, and NCAA tournament team. He and McDonald have solidified their spot in NKU history. When you look at the stats and consider the level the program has reached, I would say he's the best guard they've ever had. I loved the D2 era but I don't see a guard that could do what Holland does.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Big Bone, KY
    Posts
    2,262

    Holland has been great at Northern.
    Would of liked to have seen what Tayler Persons could of done in 4 years at NKU.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,074

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jim View Post
    Holland has been great at Northern.
    Would of liked to have seen what Tayler Persons could of done in 4 years at NKU.
    Wonder if he’s had any regrets about leaving?

  15. #15
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,522

    Holland gets to the rim better than any guard I have seen outside of Brady Jackson in the early 80's. Holland could make better decisions at times but he is an awesome offensive player.

Top