John Higgins Speaks Out

  1. #1
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    John Higgins Speaks Out

    John Higgins told himself that it was just a basketball game and that he had a job to do, just as hes done thousands of times before.



    But it wasnt easy walking out on the court Saturday to officiate the Gonzaga-South Carolina Final Four contest.



    Not after thousands of phone calls, emails and Facebook postings from disgruntled Kentucky fans disrupted his roofing business and frightened his family and employees.



    It scared him, too.



    I knew the eyes and cameras would be on me because of the national exposure and situation, Higgins said. I said to myself, Im not going to quit because of this its too much pressure, its too hard. We got through it, and I thought we did a good job. Ive got seven months to think about next year.



    That was Higgins final game until next season. But there will be no vacation. He has a company to put back together.



    Business at Weatherguard Inc., has become somewhat more normal since phone calls with a Kentucky area code were blocked. Little business got done last week after around 25,000 contacts were made through social media after Higgins officiated the Kentucky-North Carolina game, which the Wildcats lost by two points.




    Omaha referee John Higgins putting life back together after frightening threats from angry Kentucky fans | Local sports | omaha.com
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,207

    Just stupid he had to do the things he did over basketball game. It wasn't like the Bengals or anything! Just kidding it is awful for him when it affects your business.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,019

    I hope they give him Carolina/Kentucky next year

  4. #4
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,745

    There was a really good article about him in last month's Referee magazine. Yes, we do get Referee magazine delivered to our home. #ateup

  5. #5
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,779

    I bet Ted Valentine is jealous that Higgins is getting so much media attention.

  6. #6
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    27,649

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    I hope they give him Carolina/Kentucky next year
    I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

    Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,019

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

    Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.
    I'm not sure if they can "scratch" or not but I agree, no way if I'm him do I do it.

  8. #8
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,800

    Pathetic this is still a story. Dude's at the very top of his profession. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

  9. #9
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,301

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I was wondering ... do college basketball coaches get to blackball an official from their games?

    Regardless of that, if John Higgins ever gets assigned to another UK basketball game it is a mistake for everyone. I doubt that he would ever want to do another UK game and I can't blame him.
    I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

    Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.
    Last edited by PurplePride92; Apr 5, 17 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Rule 8

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,019

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

    Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.
    So glad I'm not alone
    Last edited by PurplePride92; Apr 5, 17 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Rule 14

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    966

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, however, I think that if he's available, and it's a game that needs his level of expertise, in no way should the fan base of any team ever have the ability to "scratch" an official because of their behaviors.

    Higgins is total professional and one the most highly rated officials in college basketball. The idiots of the UK fan base have shown their true selves, many are still railing about it...with no basis. I have been intentionally antagonizing these fans on social media the past 2 weeks for just this reason.
    Well said, and I would bet if you ask him Calipari would want him on his games. Btw, coaches cannot scratch on the NCAA level.

  12. #12
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."

  13. #13
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,529

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."
    I see your point, but we also don't know how many are repeat offenders and I'm sure there are plenty of idiots that posted more than once. Didn't the article say that some idiots called 40-50 times a day?

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,381

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."
    Definitely more than a few, and those 25k are all idiots who need to re-evaluate their existence, but it lends validity to my thoughts that this is a minuscule % of the fan base.

    It just sucks that so many people form their opinions on UK fans as a whole off the ignorant actions of such a small %....

  15. #15
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,301

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    25,000 contacts through social media alone? That sure is a lot more than "a few."
    Likely a whole bunch of duplicate posters....these tools didn't have anything better to do than blow up his FB account...they obviously weren't watching any more basketball.

Top