John Higgins Speaks Out

Page 3 of John Higgins told himself that it was just a basketball game and that he had a job to do, just as he... 90 comments | 5492 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    19,730

    I would be the first to say it's idiotic to try to ruin a person's business and harass them in various ways because they don't agree with the way a ball game was officiated. I'm 100% against that sort of thing. But with that said I hope Higgins doesn't ever referee another UK game.

    I don't think anyone is debating whether the guy is a good ref. No doubt he's good enough to earn trips to the Final Four. As someone mentioned in an above post, "He's at the top of his profession". So I would say he's a good ref....when he wants to be! No one can convince me that he doesn't have some kind of negative image of Kentucky, possibly subconsciously, but it's there. He is not at the top of his profession when he calls UK games. I don't know what his issue is with the Cats but he obviously has one. I understand refs are human just like anyone else in other work places. If I officiated basketball no matter how neutral I thought I was being I probably still couldn't be fair to Duke or North Carolina, and not even realize it. I kind of think that's where Higgins is when it comes to UK.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,142

    If Higgins didn't suck at his job as an official there wouldn't be a story. Because he sucks, there's a story.

  3. #33
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,193

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    If Higgins didn't suck at his job as an official there wouldn't be a story. Because he sucks, there's a story.
    Yep. Sucked bad enough to call his eighth Final Four.

  4. #34
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,162

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    And there's another 250,000+ that, at the very least, gave it a passing thought.
    I imagine your completely wrong. But since you brought up the number of bad fans, how many UK fans are there in the world total? I'm trying to figure out the percentage of bad fans.

  5. #35
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,162

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    180 degrees out from Mark Few in his post-game presser.
    I have a joke about Mark Few and keeping his mouth shut, but I'll refrain from posting it. When I read your post it made me chuckle though.

  6. #36
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    19,730

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    I imagine your completely wrong. But since you brought up the number of bad fans, how many UK fans are there in the world total? I'm trying to figure out the percentage of bad fans.
    UK has the largest college basketball fan base so it stands to reason they're going to have more bad fans than Vanderbilt or Rhode Island. Also, my guess is many of these crazies called, texted or emailed multiple times which makes the totals look worse than they are.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    1,534

    One of the best officials in college hoops.....great job Higgins and continued best in your profession in officiating and business

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    1,658

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I wonder how Higgins actually graded out in that UNC/UK game.
    Good enough that he was selected to go to the Final Four. If he would have graded out poorly with the video review that is done after every game he would not have been given the opportunity to officiate the next round.

  9. #39
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,142

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Yep. Sucked bad enough to call his eighth Final Four.
    It is what it is. Just because he did a final 4 doesn't mean he was great, actually he was horrible in the UK UNC game and there is plenty of video evidence to support that.

  10. #40
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,193

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    It is what it is. Just because he did a final 4 doesn't mean he was great, actually he was horrible in the UK UNC game and there is plenty of video evidence to support that.
    Well, he's done EIGHT final fours.

    And to the last point, there is video evidence. It was reviewed by his superiors, and he was selected to do the Final Four.

  11. #41
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,142

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Well, he's done EIGHT final fours.

    And to the last point, there is video evidence. It was reviewed by his superiors, and he was selected to do the Final Four.
    Which speaks volumes on how bad the committee who selects the officials must be, either that or the rest of the officials are even worse which I find hard to believe.

  12. #42
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,193

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Which speaks volumes on how bad the committee who selects the officials must be, either that or the rest of the officials are even worse which I find hard to believe.
    Or you're wrong.

  13. #43
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,142

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Or you're wrong.
    Not from what I witnessed from the UK game. Apparently I am far from alone in that assesment also and I'm not talking about just from UK fans. Seems the national Media was also talking about it for the next couple days after the game as well.

  14. #44
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,193

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Not from what I witnessed from the UK game. Apparently I am far from alone in that assesment also and I'm not talking about just from UK fans. Seems the national Media was also talking about it for the next couple days after the game as well.
    Show me where the national media targeted Higgins.

    And if you can, please be sure to tell me why the opinioin of whoever was doing the targeting should mean any more than yours or mine.

  15. #45
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,142

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Show me where the national media targeted Higgins.

    And if you can, please be sure to tell me why the opinioin of whoever was doing the targeting should mean any more than yours or mine.
    Well I listen to Mike and Mike in the mornings everyday on my drive into work and for the first 2 hours at work and they for one discussed it a lot the next day. It was also brought up on sportscenter the next day. I don't watch a lot such as Fox Sports shows everyday or anything else after Mike and Mike except some SC and they all tralked about the officiating from that game the next day. Now sure what more you want. If it wasn't a big deal or even a topic outside the Bluegrass then I doubt it would even be talked about still.

    Now when you say "targeted" I'd like to know what you mean because I never once said they 'Targeted" him and I am very opposed to the idiot fans who have threatened him or his family or his business, that doesn't mean he was good that game either though. If he was good then he wouldn't be getting any backlash.

Top