Jeff Garrett Gets Release from NKU

  1. #1
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,401

    Jeff Garrett Gets Release from NKU

    And another ones gone and another ones gone...
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    the Indo
    Posts
    9,722

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    And another ones gone and another ones gone...
    School work is important...

  3. #3
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,061

    Quote Originally Posted by PutMeInCoach View Post
    School work is important...
    Grades were not the reason Jeff left.

    And he and John have a very close relationship. He didn’t leave because of that either.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    382

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    Grades were not the reason Jeff left.

    And he and John have a very close relationship. He didn’t leave because of that either.
    Drumroll please....

    Then WHY did he leave?

  5. #5
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,061

    Quote Originally Posted by BrosefStalin View Post
    Drumroll please....

    Then WHY did he leave?
    John was honest about it in the press release. He was not going to get consistent minutes here. In other words, he wasn’t going to play.

  6. #6
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,154

    I'm fascinated by the repeated veiled insinuations that there is some problem with Coach Brannen whenever these situations come up. I only vaguely know the man but he seems more than competent and certainly committed to the program. Today's college game at the mid and low major level is all about transfers, educational opportunity and, in some cases, "me-time" so none of this should come as a surprise. As this program grows this will, unfortunately, be a regular occurrence, particularly with locals and near-locals. I find it disappointing that so many folks choose to insinuate that this is all somehow something sinister going on in the NKU program.

  7. #7
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,646

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog77 View Post
    I'm fascinated by the repeated veiled insinuations that there is some problem with Coach Brannen whenever these situations come up. I only vaguely know the man but he seems more than competent and certainly committed to the program. Today's college game at the mid and low major level is all about transfers, educational opportunity and, in some cases, "me-time" so none of this should come as a surprise. As this program grows this will, unfortunately, be a regular occurrence, particularly with locals and near-locals. I find it disappointing that so many folks choose to insinuate that this is all somehow something sinister going on in the NKU program.
    The Garrett release by itself would not have brought on questions. When one of your top 3 starters and arguably number one sub off the bench both leave, that raises questions.

  8. #8
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,154

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The Garrett release by itself would not have brought on questions. When one of your top 3 starters and arguably number one sub off the bench both leave, that raises questions.
    I disagree only in the assessment of the roles you suggest for each. Not at all sure that I agree with top three or number one sub, but certainly they had roles they played. Regardless, however, this is not at all unusual,

  9. #9
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,353

    Is the same guy that is recruiting them releasing them? Are they all Brannen's recruits?

  10. #10
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,061

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Is the same guy that is recruiting them releasing them? Are they all Brannen's recruits?
    All three that left this year are, yes.

  11. #11
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,061

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The Garrett release by itself would not have brought on questions. When one of your top 3 starters and arguably number one sub off the bench both leave, that raises questions.
    Who left that was a top three starter?

    No one that left this year was a starter at all at least the last 7 games. And if you, for one second, think that John wasn’t putting what he thought was the best five on the court at any point in time...especially down the stretch and into the conference tournament, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,715

    I think Faulkner was the only one that would have had a significant (starting) role in 2018-19.

  13. #13
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,401

    Quote Originally Posted by EQUUS GREVYI View Post
    I think Faulkner was the only one that would have had a significant (starting) role in 2018-19.
    Since we haven't seen the newcomers then it is hard to know, but my guess is he still would have been coming off the bench.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,715

    He may have, but without him leaving, they don't go get a graduate transfer.

  15. #15
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,646

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    Who left that was a top three starter?

    No one that left this year was a starter at all at least the last 7 games. And if you, for one second, think that John wasn’t putting what he thought was the best five on the court at any point in time...especially down the stretch and into the conference tournament, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation.
    Statistically, Carson Williams was a top three starter. He started 27 of 32 games. He was 3rd on the team in scoring. He shot 61% from the floor for the season. He was 2nd on the team in rebounding. He was 3rd on the team in steals. He tied for 3rd on the team in blocked shots. Those are the numbers. Also, by the way, in arguably the most important game of the year for NKU (conference championship vs. Cleveland St.) Williams posted a double double.

    Mason Faulkner, the guy someone said only wants to shoot, was #2 on the team in assists per game (while coming off the bench). Faulkner's assist to turnover ratio was #1 on the team - better than Holland's. Faulkner was #6 on the team in minutes played. None of that is meant to insinuate Faulkner should have been starting, but it does lend credibility to him being one of the top subs.

    I am just posting real numbers. Nothing subjective. These are facts.

    Now, as to what the roles of those two would have been next year, no one knows. You don't know because I asked you what next year's lineup would be and you said you don't know. And that will all be speculation at this point anyway.

Top